The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

is this a symptom of crankwalk or a frozen throw out bearing?

ercp98

Good evening,

Please see attached video.

The noise goes away or seems muffled when i depress the clutch pedal.
Then I tried something I read on dsm tuners, rev the car to 2k and depress the clutch pedal, the rpm did go down but just a little.

Also you can see in the video that at idle, the car dies as soon as I depress the clutch.

My clutch is an old ACT 2100. I also felt clutch slippage a few days before these symptoms were manifested.

I also tried to visually confirm if the crank pulley would move when the clutch pedal was push in. I did not see any noticeable movement on the crank pulley.

Can these "symptoms" be cause by a dying clutch and an old TOB that is frozen and does not spin anymore?

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestion.

video link:

click

donniekak

It's probably the throw out bearing. To check for bad crank walk grab the crank pulley and push and pull on it. If it's walked bad you'll feel the movement, and hear it clicking or knocking back and forth.

curtis

I believe max is like 8 thousandths .....get a dial indicator to check for the crankwalk

gvr4ever

A flexing shift fork can fake crankwalk symptoms. I remember many moons ago when I was on the original and a ACT 2600 clutch, I would go around a corner and I would have a odd delay of clutch action on the release.

I'd imagine it could be anything that would involve clutch release. Fork, TOB, damaged clutch forks, or even running out of friction material. I have never in my life worn out a TOB before a clutch, so that would be a neat trick.

donniekak

Quoting curtis:
I believe max is like 8 thousandths .....get a dial indicator to check for the crankwalk

That is the spec I go by when building engines. But for a car to show symptoms, especially a 1g engine with no crank sensor, the play is usually at least 1/16" and you can physically feel it.

ercp98

thank you guys.

i will try and get a dial gauge and get a measurement.
but for now that the engine is still in the car, can i just physically
pull on the crank pulley and check for movement? do i need the
accessory belts off to do this?

donniekak

I'm still betting on your tob. To check for crank thrust play its best to at least take the tension off the acc belts.

ercp98

just an update and to add a resolution for future reference.

there is no crank walk. confirmed with dial caliper.
this turned out to be a frozen throw out bearing and a slightly bent fork.
all parts replaced.

thanks for all the advice.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts