The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing ball joints - bad or good?

bigandbad

I've to replace all ball joints at all 6 arms - the front ones and the two in the rear...
Mitsubishi offers only the complete arms - but mine are, except the ball joints, in a good condition.
My plan was to replace the bushings to some of energysuspension, that I've done some times at my Galant V and it wasn't a problem.
Rockauto offers the balljoints separetly, I read somewhere here about the original MD-number, but I haven't heard from someone doing it.
Are they after replacing tight?
Or is it dangerous?
The complete arms would cost about 1,600$ - that's too much...

thomcasey

As long as you have the right tools, they are just fine. I have always just replaced the ball-joints themselves. If you pull the circlip and it falls out or can be pushed out by hand, then a control arm may be in order.

bigandbad

Thank you, Tom...
I have the right tools in my garage.
I found two different types of ball joints - some have a fluted base, some are smooth.
What would you prefer?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would prefer the smooth as long as they are the proper dimension and a tight fit. More surface area for load bearing.

thomcasey

I too say smooth

idreamidrive

I second the Moog fitting well. Not even that hard and you can get a "free" ball joint press from most any auto parts stores now. Advanced and car quest do 90 rentals, not that you would need it instead of the other places doing 24 hrs.

misterfixit

Quoting thomcasey:
I too say smooth

Ditto,

Once pressed out the serrated ones effectively junk the arm. There was a pair on the front of the lancer, so I had to swap arms a few times on that to get everything straight.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned