The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternative OFH feed

holeshotmoe

Can I use one of the other unused ports? The plug in the port I was going to use would not come out. Tried a little heat, liquid wrench, etc. Hoping not to have to remove the housing. BTW, this is for FPgreen with journal bearing, and still have the balance shafts in.

This is what I tried to use...

...but the harder I pulled, the more the plug deformed.

EMX5636

The other/lower port is unfiltered, so you can use it if you install an in-line filter and clean/replace it when you do oil changes.

citymunky

Impact driver, with heat first and PB Blaster. Also if you find something called EZ Grip, it can work wonders too. If the Allen head continues to deform, STOP and remove the OFH before things get too bad.

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

Thanks for the feedback. Can I remove it without pulling the lower belt cover? If I could get to the front of it, I have some big easy outs I could use. Maybe pull the front subframe crossmember?

EMX5636

You can't remove it without either removing the cover, or drilling a hole in the cover to access the one hidden 8mm long bolt. I drilled and plugged mine when I had the cover off, in case I ever needed to swap housings. But hindsight 20/20. I've been where you are before, just for a different reason. lol.

holeshotmoe

I was wondering about that stray bolt :-0 Guess I'll try pulling the crossmember and using an easyout first. Then making a hole in the cover if that doesn't work.

Last edited:

GotInsulin

I actually had a bit more luck using a very long breaker bar with slow and steady pressure cracked mine loose when heat and the impact wouldn't work. There was a loud pop when the thread locker popped and it spun right out with no problem. Good luck!

Also, I ran my JB Green from the lower unfiltered port with one of FPs inline filters for years with no problems and no signs of contamination when it was eventually rebuilt.

holeshotmoe

Finally!
Pulled the R&L members, gusset, front motor mount through bolt, rear steering line clamps, then the cross member below the radiator. All this just to get an angle on the plug to drill through it. Used an easy out, and some more heat. As you said, it popped aloud when it broke loose. For a second I thought the easy out had snapped. (That would have been a drag!) Thanks to you all for all the options! This is the greatest forum!

Now I can finish this...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts