The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Multiple Clutch Pedal Rebuilds gone bad...

4dr_vr4

I have rebuilt my clutch pedal assembly more times than I'd care to mention here with the JNZ tuning kit. The best way to explain the failure would be that after the rebuild, I'd press the pedal in and it would be super hard to press in. I'd persist figuring it was just the heavy aftermarket XTD pressure plate. after pressing it in to the floor, the pedal would go limp and would not return more than an inch from the floor. The pedal would feel like a piece of tin afterwards.

Upon removal and inspection, the weld would not be broken and nothing had noticeably moved or shifted.

However, when the clutch bracket rod goes into the white plunger, it now has way too much travel and leaves the white plastic piece resulting in the spring coming off.

So after this happens, I am getting a bunch more play, but there is no evidence of it at the weld or the clutch bracket.

I finally found what I believe to be the cause.....frozen clutch slave cylinder (wouldn't move and had rust all over it). I replaced the clutch master and slave, but I am sick of redoing this job over and over.

What could cause the plunger to move out too far as described above when there is no evidence of play besides that...no broken welds...nothing.

Last edited:

tektic

Where these new parts you welded together? I'm just wondering how they were indexed before welding. Did you have the protective rubber boot on your slave cylinder? The cylinder was bad and you replaced it. It is still not working?

4dr_vr4

All new parts. Last rebuild done by JNZ Tuning. I had the protective rubber boot on the slave. Slave cylinder was bad (frozen) and I replaced it with a new one. The piston now moves freely.

However, the geometry is now off and I can't tell where. The fact that the rod comes far outside of the white plunger at this point when it didn't initially shows me that something has to be bent.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts