The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cold start on cold morning ok. On warm morning, not so much...

EfiniX

I'm sitting in my car this morning warming it up and unlike was previous few weeks of morning, no issues. The difference: it's fairly cold at the moment.

As the weather began to warm, I started getting hard starts. Car would fire up OK, then idle for 10-15 seconds, at which point it would go lean, start to surge with the idle dropping lower and lower, then die. It was possible for me to lightly press the gas and get through this. Now if I let it die, I could fire it right back up and it would be fine.

I've checked the ISC, ECU, BISS, and even bumped up the cold-start enrichment in link. FIAV? I just don't know...

Last edited:

EfiniX

mitsuturbo

Quoting EfiniX:
I'm sitting in my car this morning warming it up and unlike was previous few weeks of morning, no issues. The difference: it's fairly cold at the moment.

As the weather began to warm, I started getting hard starts. Car would fire up OK, then idle for 10-15 seconds, at which point it would go lean, start to surge with the idle dropping lower and lower, then die. It was possible for me to lightly press the gas and get through this. Now if I let it die, I could fire it right back up and it would be fine.

I've checked the ISC, ECU, BISS, and even bumped up the cold-start enrichment in link. FIAV? I just don't know...

My car does pretty much the same thing. If it's a fresh start after sitting overnight, it usually dies about 8 seconds after starting up. If i use my remote start, it fires up, runs for a few seconds, and dies. Then it automatically starts again, stumbles a little bit and starts idling like it should on a cold start. Weird.

I barely drive it so i haven't put much time into trying to figure it out. I honestly thought it may have something to do with my externally mounted ISC. I'm not sure. If the car has been run in the past couple hours, it doesn't do it. I'll dig more into it once i get my new goodies installed.

EfiniX

Well, mitsu, you are certainly describing exactly what's happening with me.

Are you running speed density?

MellowVR4

Do you have the fiav deleted?

thomcasey

Your voltage is dropping almost to 9 volts at times.

mitsuturbo

Quoting EfiniX:
Well, mitsu, you are certainly describing exactly what's happening with me.

Are you running speed density?

SD. Magnus cast. S90. FIAV delete.

EfiniX

Quoting thomcasey:
Your voltage is dropping almost to 9 volts at times.

It is, but that correlates with the drop in RPM's. I think it's a symptom, not causal. I don't have any voltage issues after the motor warms up a bit.

EfiniX

Quoting MellowVR4:
Do you have the fiav deleted?

I do not have my FIAV deleted. Is that really what could be going on here? I'm having problems on warm mornings, not cold ones.

Last edited:

EfiniX

I do have a FPS still in use.

tektic

That's life without a maf sensor. I'd guess your iat comp needs to be tweaked. Maybe send Kim a pm, he's the authority on SD but then again he writes his SD software. Doesn't use ecm link.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned