The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Adjusting timing belt tension GAP HELP

throughfaith323

I am putting my timing belt on and have gone through all the proper steps. All the marks are aligned properly and I have the right gap on the hydraulic tensioner after rotating the engine and letting it sit for 15min.

HOWEVER, after all was said and done...while measuring the gap I accidentally pried up on the tensioner arm (where it engages with the hydraulic tensioner). This increased the gap and now it is out of spec. So I re-adjusted everything and checked to see if I can pry up on it and I still can.

This begs the question...IS THIS NORMAL/OK? I have a feeling it's just the way the system operates...i.e. when the engine is spinning the hyd tensioner is prob moving up and down (right?) which increase and decreases the gap. I just don't want to install my engine like this if it's not normal and have the hyd tensioner run out of span to set the tension needed.

NOTE: my tensioner arm seems to not rotate as freely as I thought it should. With the belt removed I can pivot the arm up and down but not as smoothly as I thought. I thought it would move as smooth as a bearing but it has a little bit of resistance. Almost like a bearing filled with thick grease. Sorry for the poor explanation.

Thanks!
Ed

fuel

after leaving it to sit for a while the timing belt tension will return to normal (hopefully).

throughfaith323

Seems that you are correct. I pried up on it which forced it out of spec, then rotated the engine a little and let it sit for 15min. I then checked it and all was good.

Thanks for the help!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts