The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Smoke suddenly pouring out of exhaust & catch can breather - 1990 VR4

sixcentz

Hi guys so I have a 1990 vr4 which has started pouring smoke out of the exhaust & catch can breather, this has all happened suddenly - went from no smoke at all to now looking like a train.
The smoke is white out of the breather & exhaust while idle, though blue when I'm giving it gas while driving.
Engine has been fully rebuilt only around 3000miles ago (by a shop)
I have done a oil change about a week prior to this, I've used 15w40 though I don't see how this could be the cause, should also probably add that I did have a issue with oil squirting out of the dipstick though this seems to have stopped.
Is my first turbo vehicle so bare with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

I would recommend doing a compression and leakdown test first. Also check to see if oil is in coolant. That will at least tell you if you have a blown head gasket.

fuel

the oil is following a path of least resistance - if the dipstick has stopped popping out then the oil is finding another way out, and it seems it's probably through a turbo seal. I would find the source of why your crank case is being over pressurised - if it were me I would revert back to the stock PCV valve configuration.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts