The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMLink global fuel VE adjustment excel workbook

EfiniX

I posted a message about an excel workbook I put together to calculate VE cell changes based on adjustments made to global fuel values. There's been a decent amount of interest. I can't upload the workbook here, but if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you the workbook. Basically you copy your VE table and paste it into the first tab of the workbook, put in your current and planned global fuel value in the second tab, then copy the values out of the formula into the 3rd tab. Works quite well.

EfiniX

If email proves unreliable, I certainly will.

EfiniX

prove_it

Not sure I follow the benefit of doing this. Maybe you can explain a little more?

I'd love an easier way to take the WBfactor from a log and transfer it to the VE table and adjust all cells more simply than one at a time.

EfiniX

I could absolutely write a formula for what you are describing.

What this workbook does is allow you to calculate VE cell values when making changes to global fuel. Basically you put in your starting global fuel value (let's say -55.5%) and your new global fuel value (for me, I was leaning out, so I went to -53.1%), copy in your current VE table, and it spits out a new VE table adjusted for the new global fuel value.

I'll build one for the WBFactor as well.

swe_gvr4_1991

Wow. I always thought this functionality was already in Link...

Auto-calibration has been around for over a year in SwD. I guess it's time to shoot Tom a email and see if he can add it to Link.
The step to full on-road auto calibration is small. That was actually what I did first before making the integration of log based auto-cal into TunerPro.

Nevertheless good job on the Excel sheet. I'm sure many will benefit from it.

strokin4dr

I really wish ecmlink would add an auto tune feature. I used it on megasquirt and it is great. Just drive the car an the VE table corrections are automatically applied. I love ecmlink but it takes forever to to get it set up optimally.
They are half way there with the closed-loop VE suggestions feature. It just leaves a lot to be desired.

EfiniX

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:
Wow. I always thought this functionality was already in Link...

Auto-calibration has been around for over a year in SwD. I guess it's time to shoot Tom a email and see if he can add it to Link.
The step to full on-road auto calibration is small. That was actually what I did first before making the integration of log based auto-cal into TunerPro.

Nevertheless good job on the Excel sheet. I'm sure many will benefit from it.

Agreed. I would think it would be easy enough to add a feature that allows for automatic VE cell adjustment when changes are made to global fuel settings.

EfiniX

Trick!

prove_it

Link does support "auto" tune, well kinda. You need to have a MAF installed and there is a function to calculate VE cells based off of the MAF log.

swe_gvr4_1991

Yeah that's a nice feature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Funny thing is that it's possible to do the same without a MAF, through code. Not on Link tho. That way you can avoid the MAF overrun issue. No official code though.

EfiniX

Oh, and one other thought for anyone that might use this workbook: Don't forget to reset your fuel trims after making adjustments to global fuel values.

GSXftw

i believe this has been done, theres a sweet add on called link tools. the tutorial shows all it can do, but the global adjust is what i use it for
click,d.dmo&cad=rja

Last edited:

prove_it

Last time I looked (6 months ago) Link tools was no longer available to the mass dsm crowd. If you knew the author then you might get a copy.

EfiniX

I've been told if you ask Calan nicely, you might get a copy. But yes, unsupported and unavailable is the official position.

GSXftw

Yeah I got a copy back in the day, and office 2003 solely for using it

GSTwithPSI

Does anybody have the equation to kinda do this in reverse?

Here's the deal, I did a 3rd gear pull, and am lean in some cells. The if I take the WB adjustment factor, and crunch the math to get the fuel needed to get my AFRs to line up, the VE in some of the cells is nearly 120%, meaning I need to make a global fuel adjustment.

So, my question is, what's the equation to take a VE value (in my case ~120%) and translate that to the required global fuel adjustment to richen things up across the board (via global fuel) and bring my VE back down to 100%?

I know most people guess and check, but there's got to be a smart way to do this on paper rather than doing a thousand f***ing 3rd gear pulls, pissing off the locals.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned