The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery relocate

mace

I have my battery relocated in my trunk and sometimes my car won't start, my light come on and my radio works but it just doesn't turn over at all. I'll put jumper cables on the regular spot where my power cable goes to under the hood and after a little bit it starts. Im wondering if my cable is too long or should I just get a bigger battery or if it's something more then that?

thomcasey

How old is your battery? I had the same issue, and the battery tested good. But, I made them replace it anyway and the issue is gone.

blacksheep

Quoting mace:
I have my battery relocated in my trunk and sometimes my car won't start, my light come on and my radio works but it just doesn't turn over at all. I'll put jumper cables on the regular spot where my power cable goes to under the hood and after a little bit it starts. Im wondering if my cable is too long or should I just get a bigger battery or if it's something more then that?

bad ground or battery moving around and causing issues

mace

The battery is pretty new and all my cables are new. It's grounded well. I have another battery that is bigger im going to try it out and see if it makes a difference.

tektic

What size cableS do you have run to the back? How long are they? What's the cca of the battery? All these things should have been included in the first post.

EMX5636

^ What Tektic said. Please give some more information and we'll get it figured out for you.

pot

Staff member
As I posted earlier, I'd be interested to hear if you've recently performed any maintenance/modification recently prior to your current issue? This didn't just start happen immediately after your battery relocation did it?

mace

I have redone the wire harness, the cables are new zero gauge cables. the car has worked fine before but just recently I've had problems with it starting, sometimes it does and sometimes it won't. I cant remember the exact battery size but I think it was stock and only maybe 5 months old. I have a larger battery from my lancer in it now and its starting fine. The positive cable is probably about 9 feet long from the trunk. When i would jump the car with the stock battery it would take awhile if I connect it to the battery its self but if i put it where the cable goes to in the engine bay it takes a lot less time. Do think its just the battery size or something else?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts