The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How critical is the FIAV?

Vince

So attempting to disassemble my non-functional Fiav,I eventually destroyed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So now it is off to our WTB section or Fleabay with fingers crossed.
What I have noticed on Fleabay is a 2 separate Fiav blockoff plates. One to retain the ISC the other without.
I understand the valves function, but question if I can get by without, as my climate here (Pacific Northwest) seldom stays cold for long... (just rain....)

Anyone with experience with a blocking plate, or am I best trying to hunt down a used working valve?

Thanks
Vince

AllanL

hey, how did you break it?

here's a how-to from here, which i've used to 're-tune' my isc system: click

Last edited:

turbowop

Puget Sound? You don't need it. I removed it on 1051 long ago. Some may argue I don't drive that car in the winter. I also removed it on 503 which was my ski car for a number of years. Still didn't need it. I didn't even need to rev the car manually when I started it. The ISC did what little it needed to do to keep the car running while warming up. Zero issues with the FIAV removed.

*edit* BTW, I blocked off my FIAV the old fashioned way with JBweld. I didn't use a blockoff plate.

Last edited:

Vince

That was the exact "how too" I tried to followed.
Sadly the threaded cap refused to budge. I boiled, I soaked in liquid wrench, I thermal shocked it.... and got zero rotation from the thing. after a few days of passive attempts I got down right nasty and reefed good on it.... the cap just shattered.....
So here I set with 3 options:
Buy new, buy used (and hope it works),or bypass the system all together.

As cold idle lasts for only a minute or two in my climate, I was wondering others success with just blocking the assembly off.
Ive read post where some have done so, and others where they did and later unblocked it....

Just looking for thoughts from those that have been there....

Thanks,
Vince

tektic

The last I looked the block off plate is $12. I blocked my last two with jbweld. The last one I cut off the fittings for the coolant lines. If your fiav works you won't be effected at all. That being said, you should always let your car warm up before using it. Technically it may take longer to do so in the winter, but I don't miss it.

Some people block off the isc as well. I wouldn't recommend that for a street car. Its necessary to keep the idle up when loads are put on the engine like electrical loads (lighst, fans) air conditioning and power steering.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned