The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is the best 272 cam out there?

Illinoisinc

Hey whats going on guys. I have been reading up on building up my motor and going with a built head. But what is the best
Cam 272's out there.
Post links if possible as well.

Thank you once again

G

Staff member
Depends on what your definition of best is. IMHO it's HKS.

Illinoisinc

oh ok.

well the one that gives the most power.

And if you don't mind me asking. Why do you think the HKS is the best one?

donniekak

The gsc, and kelford cams make a lot of power, but aren't comparable to other 272's. Most "real" 272's will have around 212* of duration at .050" of lift. The gsc, and kellford 272's have specs closer to other companies 280 cams, and require better springs than most 272's, which can be run on a stock valve train.

89Patches

Quoting G:

Do you like anything that isn't made in Japan? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Illinoisinc

donniekak

Thank you bud..

AND I LOVE STUFF FROM JAPAN SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prove_it

Quoting G:

Why not JUN? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
"The one that makes the most power"

What are the goals of the engine, turbo and torque curve?

Maybe to sum up a good combination, someone could point you in the direction of a previous build and related dyno sheet to prove that

what is being mentioned here will be what the OP is looking for?

Budget, compression ratio, turbo, boost levels, stock or upgraded hardware, machine work ... what is the process the OP is looking to achieve?

Illinoisinc

Good question. I am trying to achieve the most power, the most torque .

mitsuturbo

There are too many other factors to just say X cam is better than X cam.

First and foremost, what turbo you're running and at what sort of boost levels. Then you have to consider intake manifold, displacement, intended rev-limit.

If you're running a small frame (16g sized) turbo on an otherwise stock 2.0L and don't want to go building a whole head, or at the very least, upgrading valve springs, then I'm sure a suggestion of the good ol' HKS 264/272 combo would suffice. If you're looking to go with more of a medium-large frame turbo (gt35r comes to mind), SMIM and a higher rev limit, then you may want to consider GSC S2 or Kelford 272's. If you also want to go with increased displacement and are thinking of making the sort of power where you may want to decide to make it primarily a "race" car, then 280s might be something to look into.

CutlassJim

Quoting Illinoisinc:
Good question. I am trying to achieve the most power, the most torque .

These don't go hand in hand. What do you mean by "power"? Do you know how horsepower is calculated?

Illinoisinc

Thank you Mitsuturbo. That is great information. I do apologize for the idiotic questions also.

Cutlassjim.

My goal is actually about 450-500.

What you would recommend.

Awesome name by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

CutlassJim

You could be a wild man and make that power on stock cams!

An HKS 272 or knockoff would get you there and probably be the most simple to set-up. Just drop them in and go most of the time. I personally went with HKS 264's after I wasn't happy with the fitment of the GSC S1's I ordered for that reason. Even though I still had to degree them a small amount to be dead zero. And you can pick them up at a killer price in great used shape. New and upgraded valve springs are a must for a head rebuild. Kiggly makes a GREAT set.

EfiniX

click Delta Camshaft

I got 264/264 regrinds that were half as much as new 264/264's and every bit as good. I actually drove up from Portland to pick up the cams and got to walk the shop floor. Great guys and a great product.

Check out the sidebar on the Services tab on their website for an explanation of their process including videos.

Last edited:

Illinoisinc

Thank you guys for the great info!

I believe I will go with the HKS 272 CAMS. Def the right way to go.

I truly appreciate everyone's input. If any of you are ever in Chicago. I'd take you guys out.

EfiniX

Well great, but if you want to save money, I'm telling you, go to Delta Camshaft.

click

Here's a review of the cams from a guy on Tuners. He was, like you, looking into HKS. Went to Delta and got regrind 272/272's for less than $200. Delta uses a cam profile that's the same as HKS.

First start-up (skip to page-2 of the thread for when he gets the car running)

click

There's some other videos as well, along with others singing the praises of Delta. Pics on page-3 of cams after 800 miles.

Just sayin...

Last edited:

Illinoisinc

Thanks buddy and I just saw your build thread. Good info.

swe_gvr4_1991

Don't know if this is gonna contribute much, but you can run HKS 272's on stock valve train. I have ran mine for years. Rev to 8500 max on mine.

prove_it

You can, but it's not recommended. 20 year old springs tend to have less than half the original closing pressure.

G

Staff member
Yeah I wouldn't recommending redlining these cams with original springs. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they do it all the time with no issues in 3..2..1.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts