The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Overheating

Illinoisinc

Well good morning everyone. New gallant vr4 guy here ( new piston guy as well, been in the rotary world all my life )

Just purchased the car and it is overheating.

I have changed the Thermostat, Radiator cap, flushed the coolant ( well it spit 90% of it out lol )

I noticed when it was overheating the reservoir was just being pushed out.

Can it be the Head Gasket?

Please help me out guys.

Thanks

prove_it

Do the fans run

Illinoisinc

Yes the fan is running.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
May be head gasket if you are getting pressure pushing out coolant.

Illinoisinc

Dammit!!! That is the last thing that I want to do!! lmfao

transparentdsm

head gasket isn't all to hard to do in these cars. find a local who knows what he is doing and you two can have it done in a few hours.

Illinoisinc

is it really??? sh*t.

transparentdsm

yeah. do you have any machine shops by you? id also set it up so you can have the head resurfaced at the shop after you remove the head that or buy a spare head and have that all prepped and ready to go before you start. last time i did one it took me 6 hours and 7 beers.

Illinoisinc

No I don't know what shops would do it but Ill ask

CutlassJim

You've got AMS in that area.......

If the engine is original with over 150k then at a MINIMUM I would replace the valve seals. Finding another head and freshening it up with stock valves, viton seals and maybe a set of Evo beehive springs would extend the life of that engine for another 150k miles and with a set of ARP head studs it's ready for any mods you want to throw at it.

Illinoisinc

Yeah they also charge a dick and leg from what I hear lol.

But none the less you are right.

prove_it

Quoting iceman69510:
May be head gasket if you are getting pressure pushing out coolant.

Not always. If the coolant has a low boiling point then once it boils the expansion rate of the coolant rises. The rad cap opens to release pressure and then the boiling coolant is pushed out the reservoir due to the expansion.

More info on the car would be nice. Once I had a 1g that was overheating. Everything was fine, turned out the owner wired his fans backwards. The air was being pushed to the front of the car.

Illinoisinc

It has a 1g motor.

Previous owner stated that it had a new head gasket, rebuilt head. so that I why I am confused.

OldHairyBastard

It can also be the head itself. I've had a motor not blow the head gasket but I did have the aluminum on the head develop tiny holes that would build up pressure in the coolant system and pop radiator hoses. The head gasket was good but cylinder one had the heat damage in the aluminum on the head. If I drove nice everything was fine but hitting boost a few times in a row and POP went a radiator hose. I switched to a new gasket and fresh head and all was right with the Diamond Star Gods. It could also be both.

Coltsfan

It could also be as simple as a bad radiator cap. The only thing preventing the coolant from boiling when it hits 212F (lower as you go above sea level) is the fact that it's under pressure. I cap that no longer holds pressure, will boil over every time.

Edit: But you have a new radiator cap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

I have a tester that percolates the gas from the cooling system through a blue liquid. If there is CO or CO2 (don't remember which) in the cooling system, the fluid changes to a bright yellow. I would see if you can get someone to test it with that, unless you are 100% sure everything else in the cooling system is up to par, and that the ignition timing is spot on.
When the fan kicks on, do you feel hot air being drawn from the radiator?

Last edited:

Illinoisinc

I will try that out today. I greatly appreciate it seriously guys. I feel like im a big bother here.

I need to learn these motors quick lmfao

Illinoisinc

Also I just called AMS and was told that they don't work on any DSM's..... That's bogus lol

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Tell them it's not a DSM. Truth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Illinoisinc

I actually said Galant vr4 lol..

G

Staff member
I would check your timing first.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts