The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

found a guy with a built trans but the center diff is welded. can i....

Kibby

Just remove the welded diff and use the one out of my transmission, stock 2 spider, for now for driveability? I dont plan on pushing it this winter as id like to be able to get thru more than 1500 miles before something else breaks. Is it easy to do and should i send out mine to get the 4 spider upgrade for better reliability? Sorry if im jumping around with questions but i just want to get her off jsb status.

diambo4life

You can, but driving a welded CD for daily duty is not terrible. It would suck for you to swap in a stock 2 spider diff and have it sh*t all over your built trans. Is that a chance you want to take?

Last edited:

Kibby

Ive read quite a few people talking about a welded diff wearing out other components a lot faster

EMX5636

If you are making any considerable power, or launch the car, I would only recommend running a welded or 4-spider. I would do what Bastard said and send your 2-spider out, then when you get it back, swap them. The welded isn't horrible on the street, just have to change your driving style a bit. Try not to turn with the wheel full lock in parking lots, parallel parking, etc. If you take everything in a decent arc, it's not that bad. I notice it more in reverse. That said, I run a 4-spider because I daily the car, but if it was a weekend warrior or street race/strip car, I'd go welded.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts