The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pumps

CutlassJim

I'm looking for a fuel pump that has the flattest flow vs pressure possible. The bosch -044 pump fits the bill perfectly. Only problem is I really don't want to mount a pump externally and can't seem to find anything on mounting a -044 in tank. Is this not possible/recommended? Is there some new fangled pump that mounts internally that I don't even know about yet? It needs to flow at least 220 lph @ 90psi. It will probably never flow E85 so that's not a concern.

prove_it

Would the Deatschwerks DW300 pump work? It's exactly like a walbro 255, but way better since it's a turbine pump instead, plus 2 year unlimited warranty.

DW300 specs.

Otherwise, not sure about an in-tank pump that has stable flow with pressure.

The bosch can be mounted in-tank, but you'll need to fab up some sort of sock and mounting method. The DW pump mounts like a 255, I mounted mine using the walbro install kit even. So no mods/fab needed.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I saw this chart and am liking how the 044 doesn't flow an obscene amount of fuel at idle but still beats almost all the other pumps at 90 psi. According to this test too the DW300 won't be enough fuel.

FuelPumpflowchart1.jpg
[/url][/img]

Last edited:

KJL

Jim, back in the day there were a good amount of people running 044s in-tank on 1Gs. There should be some write ups on the dsmlink forums along with a few pics from people selling them, like this: click

I used to feed an in-line 044 with a 255 on my 2G; partly because testing proves it will maintain flow better at higher pressures, and partly because 2G's have suck-ass gas tanks.

G

Staff member
You didn't mention what voltage. Also the injector size?

CutlassJim

Stock alternator voltage. Injector size shouldn't matter but 4x 1000's.

prove_it

Are you against running a dual pump set-up?

CutlassJim

Quoting prove_it:
Are you against running a dual pump set-up?

Not against running dual pumps just don't want a pump outside the tank. Two pumps in parallel would get me double the flow at the pressures I'm not worried about but still drop off up top. A series setup is all that would work for me.

That AEM pumps chart doesn't even go up to 90 psi which is not a good sign.

Almost every aftermarket pump will flow enough fuel in a regular setup but we are looking to run 55-60 psi base pressure with up to 30-32 on top of that. I think I'm going to have to lean towards an Evo 9 pump in tank feeding a Bosch -044 external.

I'm mostly asking because last time I looked into fuel pumps your choices were Supra/Denso, Walbro 190 or 255 and that's it. Seems like everyone makes a pump these days but are still focusing on people running 43.5psi base pressure.

prove_it

43.5 PSI is the industry standard for fuel systems. Injector flow, pump flow, line size are all calculated at a standard 43.5 psi. Knowing that your going to be pushing that high, I'd agree that a series pump set-up would be best.

Pros and cons on both sides.

OldHairyBastard

If you pull the pin and basket out of the in tank feed pump that's there to help with holding pressure you will be able to increase the flow but I would recommend a different route. I would suggest a high volume low PSI pump to feed a small one gallon tank from your gas tank with a high pressure pump to pull from the one gallon tank. This insures that you will not be sucking air on hard accelerations and corning and cuts out any flow problems with a stock like pump. This would probably be your best route for a time attack, 1/4 mile and road course daily driver. It's a race proven design and not hard to do. Or you can replace your tank with a proper fuel cell but even with the sponge you might still have some starvation issues. One thing I like about this type of system is that you can use an old school fuel filter for carbs on the low pressure side and eliminate all of the restrictions between your high pressure pump and your fuel rail.

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

You will be more than happy with a in-tank mounted 044.
I have ran mine like that for many years. Removed the check valve and mounted a straight piece in place. Starts right up on every crank.
Running 47 PSI base pressure on my RC 1000's with max boost of 2 bar (30 PSI). Never once have I seen a rising AFR due to the pump not being able to keep up.
Pump sees gasoline, E85 and mixtures inbetween in cycles many times per year.

I went through two Walbro pumps before switching to the 044. Never looked back.

Last edited:

diambo4life

The AEM 320 pump would be the best for a single on gasoline. Compact and easy bolton. I can tell you right now it works great at 90psi line pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I have two in #476. I have also used the Bosch 044 in my old car and that worked great too.

EMX5636

diambo, any issues with a wacky fuel gauge? I had 2 255HP's in #108 for a little while and while driving on the highway for extended periods of time, the gauge would start to drop because I assume the pumps were sucking the baffled section in the tank down faster than the windows/pipes that feed the baffled section could refill it.

diambo4life

Yes, I have fuel gauge issues but I suspected it was going to happen since squeezing that stuff into the tank is extremely tricky. My Galant almost rarely has less than 1/2 a tank of E85 in it anyway so I don't worry too much. The pump(s) work phenomenal. From my experiments, don't go over 95psi. I think there's a bypass set there. But again, with 43psi base, that's 52psi boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited:

Coltsfan

That's good to know about the 95 psi cutoff since I run around 52psi base pressure in my Colt and screw the boost controller in until it bottoms out.

I agree with Old Hairy Bastard about the swirl pot approach. I made one for my Colt out of a 4" cylinder to house my Walbro, and I feed it with a $30 in-tank lift pump designed for a Ford pickup. You can turn smoky AWD doughnuts on a half gallon of fuel.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned