The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

LSD axle install

CutlassJim

So I'm getting 912 back together and I'm trying to put the rear axles in with the freshly cleaned up LSD diff. The passenger side slides right in and then pops in with the circlip. The drivers side I get to mate up with both sets of splines but then it hits a point about 1/4" to being fully seated and stops. The feeling is a bottomed out metal on metal feeling not a just give it a little nudge to seat itself feeling like I got with the passenger side. I've tried removing the circlip, removing the pass axle for more "room" in the diff, and I've tried a backup axle I have, with and without the circlip, and it does the same thing. The diff used to be in 1788 so I know it had an axle in it at some point. WTF mate.

The only thing a Google search came up with was an old DSMTalk thread from 2005ish where someone asked the exact same question and the thread went off with people talking about 2G axles and how LSDs work and a bunch of "I think"s.

TIA for any suggestions.

OldHairyBastard

Are you sure you have them in the correct side? one spline is slightly longer than the other if I remember correctly.

CutlassJim

One axle has two sets of splines 25/19 to mate with the differential itself as well as the viscous coupling unit. I'm probably putting it in the wrong way. Derp. Didn't even think to try that. Love you guys.

CutlassJim

Eh I just checked the googles and it says the drivers side is the LSD axle side. Grrrrrr. And of course it's pouring rain outside today so I can't even check it after work.

EDIT: Now I'm reading stuff where it says the long axle goes on the passenger side. I'm just trying it when I get home eff the rain.

Last edited:

OldHairyBastard

I think the 1g are passenger side and the 2g are drivers side but It's been a long time since I've had to do one. Someone please verify and help this brother out!

prove_it

I too thought 1g was the passenger side.

holeshotmoe

Is this is the first time trying to install this axle/diff set on your car? I once encounterd an issue when I tried to replace the single-splined side axle with a stock one (i.e., non-LSD). It wouldn't go in far enough for the ring to slip past the side gear to lock. (I think it was bumping the other axle or was hitting the pin the pinions ride on??) Anyway, side by side I could see the non-LSD version was longer. If this is a new diff/axle setup for you, you may be having the same issue. Below are pictures I found on this forum and elsewhere comparing them. Correct (LSD) axle is 4mm shorter.
Believe this is the 1G set. 1 & 3 = non-LSD, 2 & 4 = LSD

2G measuring non-LSD

2G measuring LSD

Last edited:

CutlassJim

This setup was in a car but not the current one so it fit at some point. The 2G inboard setup is exactly the same so I appreciate the pictures. I'm really guessing that I'm putting the wrong axle on the wrong side and that's my issue. I'll make sure when I get some time to try this out that I will report back with my findings. I also went ahead and ordered 2 new rear axles off of our old friends at RockAuto (only $65 each!) and they reference the longer axle as the right side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Interesting. I did not know the rear axles were available other than OE and DSS.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I see now. Only available for 4-bolt. They don't ask LSD or not though, for Eagle Talon either.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I did 93 Eclipse and they had pictures so I pulled the trigger. The ones I have are in good shape but my spares got all rusty from the basement. Anyone want a set of 4 bolt LSSD axles for cheap plus shipping?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have not looked at CAPS on this lately, but IIRC, all Eclipse with 4 bolt were LSD, but Talons had it as an option. Jim is right though, the picture looks like it is the extended tip of the LSD on the axle.

GTX

Can't say I'm an expert, but I have recently assembled mine. 1G LSD with uneven axles. I think one actually cant put both in in the wrong way. I don't remember @ which side, but the first time I was trying to slide the long axle in it would not go in by about an inch. Since you should not use the force to put those things together I guessed I need to look inside and see where the tip of the axle lands. If you slide it in from one side, you cant put it all the way in, if on another, it slides in and the tip stay right where it belongs: the LSD spline. At the time I also tried to use the axles from open diff. they are longer and on one side should be tapered to avoid the contact with LSD. However, if you use that setup it is a simple open diff. My two cents folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CutlassJim

Longer axle goes in the passenger side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts