The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 Random lights are coming on! What is shorting out?!?

Salmo

Help me out guys! 1995 eagle Talon TSi, a few mods and it had a relocated fuse box from the previous owner.. Soo the three lights to come on are the e brake (!) in a circle, the charge battery light, and some weird one on the right I don't know about! I have a photo here, my dad and I cannot find the problem, maybe someone has ran into the same problem?! Thank you! Here's the picture!

prove_it

The yellow light is a coolant light, I think it's low coolant level, don't remember off top of head. The Battery light indicates poor charging, the brake light indicates low brake fluid.

Salmo

Okay well that's awesome to know! However my friend, All of those things are totally fine, full of coolant, brake and clutch fluid are minty, and battery is perfect. is there a fuse connected to those three things perhaps? Or a ground somewhere may be iffy? Or, possibly my positive is shorting out a bit somehow?

89Mirageman

Alternator going out maybe? Does it start right up, no delay or anything?

Salmo

I don't think it's the alternator, once I talk to my dad I'll tell you exactly how we tested it but right now I don't quite remember, but it didn't fully eliminate it as a possible problem. It starts right up, runs totally fine from what I can tell. I don't believe there is any delay or anything. And the only thing I noticed when the lights turned on as I was driving was that when I really put my foot down the air fuel ratio went to 10.0 which is just as low as it can go, I have a feeling it was actually lower but the gauge just can't read that low, I don't know at all though, but that's just a random guess.

Salmo

So the ground was sparking when the car was off, so we just simply tested to see if the alternator was drawing any current, and it wasn't. The next step is to test it actually as you kinda said!

tektic

Diode bridge in alternator is gone. Those three lights flickered on right before my last alternator died on my 1g.

thomcasey

Had the same issue on my Galant. The lights came on faintly, and would cycle on and off, causing my dash and head/tail lights to flicker. Made it all the way to the Shootout and back like that, still charged the battery. I replaced it anyway and she is happy.

Salmo

Yeah guys! You're all right, it was simply the alternator! I don't know why I didn't just unplug
It to test it, but I did not and yes sir's it is!!

Thank you all!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned