The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who can give a newbe a fast lesson in 1991 transfer cases?

Vince

So to start, I know nothing about the generations of VR4 other than knowing they arrived here in the US for '91 and '92. I know nothing of compatibility between chassis series (GSX) or other Mitsubishi models (Eclipse). So my ability to speak about what interchanges with what is zero.

1212 has a loud growl on deceleration, so I took it to my local transmission shop today, to be told the transfer case is going (Actually had a metal chunk fall out into the drain pan, but the tech was unable to recover it.)

Long story short, it's the noise culprit and I need to get it resolved. The shop is researching parts to give me a total price on rebuild, but I would appreciate input from all of you familiar with the little beasty as well before I toss down my credit card.
Anyone sell re manufactured units? If I'm forced to junkyard dive, do I have easy options besides another VR4?

Thanks all
Vince

Vince

Not sure I have faith enough in ol 1212 to push her 3 hours each way just yet.
Thanks though, look forward to hearing some of his expertise advice.

Anyone else with info?

Vince

fuel

Is it an iron head or aluminium head transfer case? iron head will be 23 spline while I believe the alu head can be either 22 or 23 spline.

Basically you can run a t-case from any 5speed GVR-4 or 1G DSM (possibly even early 2G?) but you just have to make sure it matches the output shaft spline. You can even swap in the 23 spline shaft if yours is a 22 spline and vice versa if that's going to open up your choices of finding a T/case.

The GGS-X t/case may work but it probably isn't rated for the power of the GVR-4.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Advertise for a good one here. Usually around $100 or so. Paul (dsmguy) who is up in the PNW likely as some available. Just verify the spline count as already described to you.

thomcasey

Drop your T-Case and count the splines (most likely 23-spline). Then look to buy a used one from a local forum or from here. They can usually be had for less than $150. IF you have a 22-spline tranny, and can only find 23-spline transfer cases, then you can swap out the output shaft, but it requires you to remove the VCU in the transmission to gain access to the check ball that holds the shaft in.

To make it short, it will be far cheaper to find a used xfer case and swap it yourself. Just be sure to replace the input and output shaft seals in it to be sure you won't leak.

89Patches

From my experience with 1G/VR4's is that just about all have that growl on decel, some worse than others. I tried chasing it when I first got into DSM's. The only thing that made it better was rebuilding the drive shaft. Got better but was still there. Been in close to 15-20 1G's and they all had it.

As for the t-case. Any 91-96 23 spline DSM case will work,even Evo 1-2 as well.

toybreaker

iconoclast
t-case info

Vince,

This is why I told you to drain each components fluids into a clean drain pan.

The contents of the drain pan tells many tales.

As mentioned, Paul (the dsmguy) is an excellent (somewhat) local source for parts.

Be sure to inspect the coupler for correct spline count, and ensure the splines are not "sawtoothed" (worn), as this will destroy the output shaft of the transmission in short order.

thomcasey

Also, many times that growl can come from a twisted yoke. If they twist, ever-so slightly, it will not be able to slide back and forth on the xfercase output shaft as it needs. This causes the Lobro-joint to bind and/or the driveshaft to be forced on the xfercase and causes binding inside the case.

CutlassJim

I had never seen it before but the input shaft to the transmission on 1788 was sawtoothed and caused a horrid growl on decel. Something else to consider if a new T-case doesn't fix the noise.

Vince

Well thanks all for the input.
Toybreaker, that link was as helpful as they get, thanks!

A followup question:
What fluids am I going to loose pulling the case? Tcase or tranny (or both?)

Thanks,
V

Gotta go see if I can find my parts breakdown for the car (Have one from Mitsu on microfiche stored somewhere, and still have the reader tucked away on a dusty back shelf... Might help sort out confusion on case changes by production dates at least...)

thomcasey

You can pull the t-case without losing any fluids. When you remove it, keep the driveshaft side higher than the rest of the tcase and the fluids will stay in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts