The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's the difference between these two heads?

jepherz

Staff member
My car overheated and warped the head pretty bad. Rather than milling down my stock head 13 thou, my machinist suggested for me to use a spare head he had on the shelf and was almost ready to go. However, he noticed there was quite a difference in the water holes on the head. He also said the intake ports were the same size (1g) and all of the exhaust mani studs were the same. Any idea what the difference is here? The unfinished head with the circles and extra ports is the stock head off my 91 vr4.

prove_it

Good question. My input is to say not to use it. There would be less head cooling occurring I would think. On a boosted engine you want that.

Measure the CC volume. Maybe it's the 1.6L DOHC head. If so then it's worth it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What are the markings on the ends of the head?

r4pt0x

Should be a Hyundai head - big inlet ports from 6-bolt but 2 M10 exhaust bolts like the 7-bolts...
If the Hydraulic lifters from your head have a bit of play in the other head, it's definately a Hyundai head (the Hyundai lifters were slightly bigger in Diameter)

Last edited:

89Patches

I'd run it. Those little ports don't do anything, they're blocked off by the head gasket as the block does not have those ports. I am not even sure why they're there from factory.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I suggested it was maybe from a 1.6 and he confirmed, smaller chamber. I'm going to have him re-finish my head simply because I don't want to alter everything possible on this build. I just wanted to be driving me car...

prove_it

I'll buy it from him, or you. I want a 1.6 head badly.

diambo4life

I would run it. That's less issues you have to worry about. As mentioned by someone earlier, those coolant holes are blocked off by the HG when installed.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Quoting prove_it:
I'll buy it from him, or you. I want a 1.6 head badly.

There are a few 1.6 elantra's at one of the local yards. I'd need to get something for pulling it and I'm sure shipping won't be cheap. Not sure what you're willing to spend.

Wizardawd

Keep in mind that if the head is warped badly, you cannot just simply machine it flat. The entire head warped, so the cam towers, bolt holes, etc will have some issues. 0Ran into this before with a milled head and the cams wouldn't turn once bolted on and wouldn't slide down the head studs as the bolt holes were not straight.

The proper way to straighten a warped DOHC head is to heat it on a block and cycle it while tightening it. Even then, its iffy if it will straighten out enough.

And Hyundai lifters should be exactly the same size as the Mitsu lifters.

Wiz

biglady112

Enough guessing. That is a 1990 2.0 head casting. Only year to do that. We stayed far away from them with the land speed car. Lost head gaskets faster using then with our salt flat car.

Just saw the answer. If it is indeed a 1.6 head it will say on the end of the casting. Same if it is a 1.8 head, which is the casting we prefer and have made sick power with ease on three different cars now

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned