The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hesitation and bucking

jduke0308

Ok so i have a hesitation and bucking issue at all rpms. Revs freely and normally while sitting. The moment i go to take off and release the clutch it loses power and barely wants to move. once i finally get it rolling it bucks and hesitates. Cant even drive it now. Where should i start digging into? Also i dont have a datalogger unfortunately.

New parts on the car
OEM coolant temp sensor and new wiring
oe fpr
new oem valve cover and oem gasket
new plugs properly gapped (also have older magnecor wires)

Yao

does all wheels spin freely?

MellowVR4

Put it up on all four jack stands and see if all of the wheels spin..

Last edited:

prove_it

Get a logger. You need to see what the ecu sees.

Check the wheels for free spin. If that's good, then you got a drivability issue. That's where a logger will help a lot. Otherwise, to me it sounds like a possible boost leak, bad maf or bad fuel delivery. All three issues can cause a decent idle and free rev, but when load is applied it falls on it's face. Although a big boost leak will cause a bad idle too.

jduke0308

Thanks guys, put her on all four to put on my exhaust and all 4 wheels move fine. Bought a data logger from 1glink.com that will be here tomorrow so Friday I'll be able to dig deeper.

prove_it

Do you have a known good MAF you could try?

jduke0308

I may be able to get ahold of a maf, when i do ill check that. SO i got my logger, not quite sure how to use it quite yet but my 02-f value is 3.49 at all loads. Is this normal? Also ftrl 139%, ftrm and ftrh are approx at a 100%.

vr4g63

The only time I've had similar symptoms is when I ran out of fuel. It would start, idle and rev fine, but as soon as I put it in gear and tried to go it would loose all power and ability to rev. I'm sure you're not (almost) out of fuel, but it makes me wonder might also be a fuel delivery problem, like maybe one of the fuel filters.

jduke0308

Has a newer fuel filter in it. Going to test the tps and isc saturday. Also replaced injectors and maf with known working ones to no avail.

Coltsfan

Sounds like idle switch to me. If the ECU sees idle switch activation it will go into decell mode and cut fuel at all kinds of random intervals while driving.

jduke0308

Well think i just found the problem. ecu started smoking. checked ohms on isc and the were high. So ordered a new isc and got a spare ecu as well. Sucks because the one that fried was an eprom one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

jduke0308

Well only thing we found out was my buddies isc was shot and fried the ecu while trying to diagnose the problem. So I'm still having the same problem. Also put a new isc, iac, and tps.

jduke0308

Also anyway to add videos? Triedo photo bucket but it won't let me due to video being to big even though it's a short video.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned