The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Auto engine brackets + mounts

tektic

New info edit 3-21-2017: the automatic car actual has a different bracket welded into the frame on the drivers side. When putting in a manual transmission the drivers side L shaped bracket needed to be fabricated or modified to keep the engine parallel to the car. The automatic engine bay is some 15mm moved back. I believe this was the cause of my transmission failure.

So... They are very different from the manual mounts. Here are some Pictures:

-------- AWD Galant Auto ---------
Front bracket ----------- MD143844
Front mount ------------- MB581635
Rear bracket ------------ MD143793
Rear Mount -------------- MB581640
Driver side bracket------ MB581650
Pasanger side ----------- MB581424

-------- AWD Galant Manual wo/4ws ---------
Front Bracket ----------- MD133344 (same as vr4)
Front Mount ------------- MB581656 (Due to aws?)
Back Bracket ------------ MD136195 (Same as vr4 and 1g awd)
Back Mount -------------- MB581657 (Due to aws?)
Driver Side Mount ------- MB436505 (Same as vr4)
Passenger Side Mount ---- MB436541 (Same as vr4)

------- awd dsm vs vr4 comparison -------
Subframe for both cars-------------MB573544
Rear mount for both cars-----------Mb436495
Rear bracket for both cars---------Md136195
Front mount for both cars----------MB436490
Front bracket for galant vr4--------Md133344
Front bracket for awd dsm---------Md133347
Driver bracket for vr4--------------Mb436505
Driver bracket for awd dsm--------MB346741
Transmission mount for v4r--------MB436541
Transmission mount for awd dsm-- Mb436729
TRansmission mount bracket both-md731017

Last edited:

Lancer99

I didnt think they were different from an auto to a manual. I thought the engine size would be different. Like a 1.8l would be different from a 2.0l. Maybe im wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mark

-A/T FlexPlate x2 MD735674
-Crank Bushing MD732972
-A/T Plate – MD952138
-Rear Engine Mount Bracket – MD143793
-Both Passenger Side mounts – MD143844 Trans Bracket, Body Side Mount
-Starters are Same
-The Inner shaft on the Axel on the Drivers Side
-Shifter w/Cable and Brackets
-Transfer Case
-A/T Rear Differential
-A/T Trans
-Torque converter bolts
-Automatic crankshaft bolts (to hold flexplates)
Now I will break down all parts of the swap and what needs to be done.

Motor Mounts - Some of the motor mounts on the trans are completely different and are impossible to swap over from your manual trans. Luckily both pieces to the front mount are the same and the mount on the drivers side for the engine can obviously be left alone. But both passenger side mounts are different. And on the rear of the trans the bracket that mounts on the trans is different but the mount that stays on the body of the car can stay.

Last edited:

tektic

Updated first post with part number from e38a auto and manual and cross referenced with gvr4 from caps.

Last edited:

tektic

Here are the rear brackets. The longer one on the left is the auto.

Here are the rear mounts. The bigger one on the left is the auto.

The sleeve in the auto mount is way too big. Both brackets have the same diameter bolt hole and both are a few mm smaller than the one in the auto mount. I think I'm missing a bushing or something. Also it is hard to tell in the picture but the holes do not line up vertically or horizontally.

Rock auto lists the manual and auto front roll stop mount as the same part number "WESTAR Part # EM9078 ".
So it looks like I'm just ordering a new rear mount. Or maybe get some more window weld and get to work rehabbing the old ones from the DSM the trans came from. I would like to go to mod on Saturday.

Last edited:

Spyke169

IDK if this was just an FYI, or if you are trying to stiffen up the mounts and only finding M/T mounts available. For what it's worth, two hockey pucks fit perfectly in the rear auto mount. Have had them in my 1g for some time now.

tektic

Started as a question thread but figured it all out on my own. Now it's an FYI for the next poor sucker doing a trans swap.

I por 15ed the manual dsm mount I had. I had a new poly insert kit too. The rubber was in good shape though so I left it alone. The other 3 mounts are solid. It might wear out real quick or make no difference what so ever. I don't know.

Hockey pucks huh? Nice idea. Did you center the hole or put it closer to the bottom?

Spyke169

I drilled the pucks in the same place as OE, just a little below center.

tektic

So Bumbed out... Not only did my drive train noise not go away... Now my exhaust bangs against somthing so bad! It sounds like jack hammers around right turns. 1 step foreword 2 back every f-ing time.

Im lost on swapping my car..
What mounts must i use?

From what i understand the front stays the same
Driver side is the same

Rear mount - do i have to change the bushing mount and swap from a manual engine bracket?
Passenger side- i just need the auto galant trans mount? What about the bracket on the trans?

Ive got my front and rear in and my driver side
But my trans bracket just isnt lining up with the mount

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned