The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Air conditioning removal

Yao

Okay guys, I've got this, so AC have to go:

Now, my question is, how do you guys evacuate the Freon?! that is in the ac line, do you call someone? I hate to just let it loose into the ozone....

Last edited:

prove_it

I take it the car isn't mobile?

I'd try calling one of those mobile mechanics. You need a machine to evac into, or a spare tank with a pump. The mobile mechanics might have something.

ktmrider

Quoting Yao:
I hate to just let it loose into the ozone....

Good man!

Like mentioned there should be a mobile service to evacuate the system. Make sure to tell them what refrigerant is inside ( R12 or converted R134a ).

GSTwithPSI

You might get lucky and it may already be empty. Just touch the schrader and see if there's anything in it. If so, you'll have to have someone evac it.

Vr4junkie

Was the A/C even working could be like GSTwithPSI said system could be already empty considering how old these cars .

Yao

yes, it's still working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've called on couple places and they all wanted $90 for the trip charge and some include the evac, and some don't..... Jiffy lube would do it for 80, but I need to take the car in.... car can't move, getting a new engine in my garage.

turbohf

if its R12 its worth money. really wouldnt pay much to have it evac'ed.

but i always have it done at my work. first time i worked at a wrecking yard, so that was super easy. this last time i work a dealership, little harder as no one knew where the R12 machine was.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Yao:
yes, it's still working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've called on couple places and they all wanted $90 for the trip charge and some include the evac, and some don't..... Jiffy lube would do it for 80, but I need to take the car in.... car can't move, getting a new engine in my garage.

That is ridiculous unless they have zero market for the R12. It is worth more than that.

Wolfpuss

This might be off-topic, but how hard was it to remove the compressor? I just took mine to the shop and they want $1000 to replace it. I want A/C, but I dont want to pay that much.

Vr4junkie

That's way too much it's not that difficult to replace an air compressor if they were to change the expansion valve and filter and charge it then it would be OK but 1000 for just to change it out is insane you can change it out your self not that difficult if you have basic tools.

Wookalar

I have seen some guys advertise mobile AC repair in CL auto services. I called a guy up like six years ago and had him evac and refill my system while the G was inoperable. Check CL and see if anyone in ST. Louis offers a similar service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wolfpuss

Thanks All-

I plan on tacking this massive project as soon as I find a good working compressor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned