The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Whineboro fuel pump

1307nv

My 255 whineboro is really loud after driving for a while, not sure if it will go out or is supposed to be like this. Is there a pump that is not so loud that I can possibly replace with? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thx in advance.

prove_it

Deatschwerks, 305 pump. Just swapped one in after my 3rd walbro failure in 3 years. You have to open the trunk to hear it.
Exactly the same size and demensions as the GS342 pump, which is a drop in for the GVR4. You can even use an oem pickup sock.

Last edited:

citymunky

What about the FP 255lph pump?

Kibby

My walbro 255 is quiet. And I have the carpet foam and all uncovered from the access door.

GVR4kauai

The fp 255 is totally silent!! I have installed in 1633 and love it!

1307nv

Thx for the suggestions, I'll look into those pumps. All I know is this pump just screams after driving for a while. Time to start shopping.

GVR4kauai

All my other 255's are the same way, so annoying lol! You either get used to it or turn the radio up lol. Or find one that doesn't whine, like the fp or supra pump.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

What's the inside of your tank look like? If the pump is quiet when you first start it up, and then gets louder after you drive for a bit, the pump is probably restricted. If there's a bunch of sh*t in your tank, and the pickup sock is getting clogged, the pump will whine.

I had this issue on 1813. Here's what my tank looked like:
WP_000832.jpg

WP_000833.jpg

Pull the pump out and check the inside of the tank. Take a look at the sock as well and see if it is really dirty. A defective sock can also cause a restriction, and make the pump loud. The 255 in my car is fairly quiet. I can't hear is over the car running. Maybe if I had stock exhaust and the car was stock, but I can't hear it normally.

G

Staff member
Quoting 89Patches:
I use a TT Supra pump. Can't even hear it and probably the most reliable pump you can get.

True.

GVR4kauai

My tanks are clean and always used new socks on my pumps. Although I've got a few used ones, they still work flawlessly just noisy. I definetly like the fp pump the best so far especially since the galant is my daily driver now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

1307nv

My tank is very clean, new sock....just a noisy pump. It just worries me that it will fail, I can live with it for now if I know it won't fail. Just gonna shop around to find the best deal for now

G

Staff member
They are called strainers, not socks.

turbowop

Quoting 89Patches:
I use a TT Supra pump. Can't even hear it and probably the most reliable pump you can get.

Only time I've ever been stranded by a GVR4 was when the Supra pump died in 503. By a f***ing Toyota part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GVR4kauai

Lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jnava

Staff member
No whine, no care. Mine works fine and quiet, probably a hit or miss with them.

transparentdsm

Quoting 1307nv:
My tank is very clean, new sock....just a noisy pump. It just worries me that it will fail, I can live with it for now if I know it won't fail. Just gonna shop around to find the best deal for now

i got the best deal for ya. i have an extra AEM320 sitting on my shelf and im maybe an hour drive from you. PM me if you want to work out a deal on the pump.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts