The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Check your coilovers

prove_it

Just happened to have my car on the hoist and decided to check for wheel play. My left front was very very loose, I thought what, it's all new components in the front. Well after looking I found my ride height locking collar had worked its way loose. No idea how, but I'm positive I tightened it before.

Just thought I'd post up this up and let everyone know to check your collars from time to time. Lucky nothing bad happened, but it could have been much worse.

dandanger

Had same thing with by BC V1 coils about two years ago, I started hearing rattling noise at bumps but didnt find the source until I took it to a friend who has a lift. I'm also sure they were tight after install, and no work had been done to them after that.

prove_it

Quoting BluFalcon:
What brand of coilovers?

Converted EVO 8 JIC Magic coilovers. No cheapos. Threads were clean and it was tight on install. Once I finally decide and lock in the final ride height, I think I'll add a few drips of blue locktite to be safe.

donniekak

Just did some Jic's on a stealth. The sleeve and lower mount ended up having play. To try to tighten the locking collar to remove the play isn't how to fix it. It needs a new sleeve, and lower mount.

89Patches

I every so often check my coilovers. And every time I do there is something loose, but most of the time it's the pillow ball mount.

ktmrider

Quoting prove_it:
Once I finally decide and lock in the final ride height, I think I'll add a few drips of blue locktite to be safe.

Not familiar with the JIC's but on "cheaper" models like BC/D2 seizing of the collars is all too common, use caution with threadlock products.

Last edited:

prove_it

I'm going to check it everyday for a week, see how it does. I am concerned about seizing, but more concerned with it coming apart.

prove_it

Loc-tite would actually prevent seizing due to sealing off the threads, at least I would imagine. Talking about blue or even some easy green stuff. Red would be a disaster.

89Patches

I just use a spray can of fogging oil on mine. I haven't had any problems with seizing in ages now.

I wouldn't want to put loc-tite on coilovers, I think it would cause more prblems than it would fix. Or you could coat the threads in anti seize.

prove_it

I just don't get why the collar even came loose. It was tight. I know for a fact, and I'm no 98lb weakling. I'd say it was around 40lbft torque. I'd hate for it to come loose again, so any ideas?

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Maybe if they were megans.....

coyotes

man up and tighten em down more. I've never heard of a locking collar coming loose ever. A screw clamp tightened against the bottom of them isn't gonna hurt anything.

89Patches

Is the pillow ball mount seized? Because if it don't move and you turn your wheel it will loosen any of the locking collar

turbowop

When I first read this thread I thought you were talking about the spring perches. Now I realize it's the lower part. Sometimes I forget I have those after having non-adustable bodied Teins for so long. I think I actually hammered mine down a tad for good measure with a chisel/wedge and BFH after getting them tight with the spanners. One good thing about being pretty low, there is more strut body threaded into the lower bracket.

prove_it

hmm, I'll have to check, I disassembled and lubed them, but I'll check that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned