The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter cable brackets

marvinmadman

Anybody know off hand what I'll need to correct this dogleg in the shifter cable?

curtis

Looks like the bushings between the top and bottom bracket could be worn out. Hard to tell from the picture but you can pull the brackets remove the old bushings clean well and just bolt together with normal bolts making sure there centered then weld.

ktmrider

Make sure you don't have 90 TEL brackets, good thread here: click

marvinmadman

Bushings are all good. I remembered about the different brackets but didn't really have the time to search. I'll read the link. Thanks

marvinmadman

It appears that the shifter brackets I have are correct. What I don't know is whether my trans arms are correct. I am willing to say that the front arm is too long and that's why the cable is pushed crooked. Can anybody give me the lengths or anything to verify? Thanks!

marvinmadman

Can anyone go outside and measure their shifter arms for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

EMX5636

1990 shifter arm. Center of pivot rod to center of post about 2.5" 1991 shifter arm about 3.25"

marvinmadman

The 90 would make the cable look straight. But all my brackets are 91+. I don't understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

EMX5636

You could tweak the right (pass side) cable bracket a bit to point better at the shifter arm. That's all I could think of is maybe it got bent either being dropped on, pried off of etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Don't move it further or closer to the linkage, just angle it slightly.

EMX5636

I have seen cables that angle slightly like this though, without any ill effects. Unless you have a bind or hanging up in the cables, you might be worrying over almost nothing.

marvinmadman

Probably nothing. Just trying to take care of any odd things that look out of place before I start putting some miles on it.

tektic

You can twist the dust boot around so it stacks better. If your not having any issues shifting, it's doing its job.

marvinmadman

It's against the clutch line. That's why it looks that way.

G

Staff member
Where is that rubber clutch line coming from and why is it anywhere near the cables? Also that arm does not look right. Nor does that much angle look right.

Last edited:

marvinmadman

Stock clutch line in its bracket G. I know the angle of the cable doesn't look right. That's my reason for checking into this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned