The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo VIII/IX MR OEM spring & OEM Strut (bilstein) with GvR4 top plate fitment

Alainb7

I already buy IX MR spring and I can get MR strut but they came without no hardware. No bolt, top plate nothing in this picture.

click

So I only have the part 11 & 12 for front & rear.
Can I use my GVR4 top plate and other part (#1-10) or I need a complete set of MR strut assy?

Last edited:

curtis

Top bearing plate will work but not sure on the spring plate. Can't remember, also the bumpstop is way larger on the evo stuff.

Alainb7

I finaly Buy an 40k miles complete OEM Bilstein EVO IX MR set.

Cant't wait to install them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

transparentdsm

i have those and i didnt do anything to strut tops at all. i drilled two holes in each side for the fronts. the rears i had to cut off the stock bottom bushing and have them welded into the evo 9's bottoms. look at my build thread if you want to see how the car sits and if you need i can take pictures of the top hats up front tomorrow for you. also you need to get 8 2mm thick hardened washers and a 19mm drill bit and 4 new bolts. all the hardware up front needs to be changed out.

901VR4

could you post of pictures of the work you had to do transparentdsm to make the strut assembly to work on the gvr4? I am wanting to do this mod

Alainb7

Quoting transparentdsm:
if you want to see how the car sits and if you need i can take pictures of the top hats up front tomorrow for you.

If you can post-it it would be great.

When I do a search in the past, I found a kit existing to install evo strut on our car without welding. But I can't found it again.

The kit contain inset for rear lower strut and shim for front strut.

The kit look like this: Sorry about my low paint skill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Is somebody know this kit. There are made for GVR4 & 3000GT to install Evo suspension.

Last edited:

Alainb7

Crap!

Just found the link I was searching for.
click

If there bigger, so I can use brass oil-lite bushing to reach the good diameter!

ade

I have those adapters on my gvr4, i got them from a forum member and they bolted right in

Alainb7

Thanks for the picture.

Quoting ade:
I have those adapters on my gvr4, i got them from a forum member and they bolted right in

You use everithing in the kit?
Rear lower mount & front lower mount CNC-machined oval adapter washers?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but these front lower mount CNC-machined oval adapter washers are replacing the 2 1/16" shim, and fit in the 14mm strut mount hole and use 12mm bolt for knuckle hole mount,the oval shape is to adjust camber? I am right

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting ade:

Curious to how the rear just bolted right up if they are designed for the 3000GT/Stealth and everyone says that the bushing size is different?

prove_it

Hell, buy the time you buy those adapters at 170 and find an MR suspension, you'll have just spent what a coilover set would cost. What's the point then?

Cost me 20 bucks to have my bushings welded in. $150 for the non MR suspension, plus $210 for the Tein front upper plates. I spent $400 on my swap with all new oem bolts.

I also recommend running uncut front evo bumpstops, as without them my car rode rough as hell, with them it rides way better. More predictable handling too. Use brand new ones for the best feel. They are only around $20 each from the dealer.

transparentdsm

it cost me about 400$ to do my full evo 9 MR swap. you just need to look for the right deal. i signed on to an evo forum and found a guy who bought and evo and had it upgraded at 19xxx miles and no one in the evo community wants to buy stock suspension, so i got a great deal.

KiNgMaRtY

For piece of mind, I would trust the brackets more plus you would not have to hack the Evo suspension for resale or reuse on another vehicle.

The reason for it still being a worthwhile upgrade and still cost efficient is that any coilovers that you can get new for about $1K, will be outperformed by the Evo MR Struts + Good springs such at Swift Spec R, GT Worx or Robispec Springs.

prove_it

I do like how my Robispec springs calmed the GSR suspension down. Not nearly as bouncy. I tried for MR suspension, but now in days on EVOM a lot of cheap guys are on there and are buying up the MR stuff fast. I've seen some struts sell at 600 for a set.

ade

Quoting Alainb7:
Thanks for the picture.

Quoting ade:

You use everithing in the kit?
Rear lower mount & front lower mount CNC-machined oval adapter washers?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but these front lower mount CNC-machined oval adapter washers are replacing the 2 1/16" shim, and fit in the 14mm strut mount hole and use 12mm bolt for knuckle hole mount,the oval shape is to adjust camber? I am right

i only received the rear adapter and it bolted right on.
CAM00212.jpg

SleepinGVR4

I wish I would of known about these before I hacked up my evo MR suspension! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

transparentdsm

i looked for it for 2 weeks before i hacked mine up, the next day someone posted the link. im ok with it though because if i ever do sell them(i prolly wont) it will be to a member on here and they will be ok with the mod because it saves them money.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts