The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP Race manifold

cheekychimp

For those that are using one, what are your real world performance observations? Any obvious improvements over an EVO III or stock manifold and any disadvantages? I know you can't fit the upper heat shield to it so I guess I would need to wrap or ceramic coat it. For anyone who has run one and then had it coated or wrapped, again any obvious improvement in performance as a result of the coating? I understand that it is better to get an unused manifold coated to avoid the risk of contaminants messing up the coating at a later date.

I would be using this on the daily driver so assume that it will be used with an EVO III 16G if that affects anything. I would probably get the O2 housing and turbine housing on the turbo ceramic coated at the same time again if that makes a difference.

Just want to know if this is a worthwhile upgrade for a street car.

Paul.

prove_it

I love my Fp manifold that I bought used. I cant compare it to an evo 3 manifold, but it made a difference in top end over the ported 2g manifold I was running. I haven't wrapped it, only used some high temp paint to clean it up. They are built very well and I've had no warping issues or leaks at all, after about 10k miles of daily use. Underhood temps don't raise really high. I wish I could post numbers, but don't have any. It did make a noticeable exhaust change when I installed too. I do recommend having it coated, not sure if its the paint I used, but mines starting to turn a light gray/white color. My two cents.

Oh, only disadvantage I can really think of is that the middle lower manifold to head studs are hard to get to, I wasn't able to torque one of them. Not a huge deal like I said 10k+ no leaks or warp.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

I think the 2G manifold is pretty similar to the EVO III one to be honest. Thanks for posting! No loss of power lower down the rev range then, just more top end? If so that sounds good!

blacksheep

Paulie - The FP manifold is very affordable and such. But, one reason I don't like the FP manifold is the lack of ability to install a heat shield. I guess you could do the elevnteen coating from FFWD etc, but it adds to money(atleast for me). I am leaning to go with all Evo3 in the my build when it needs a new turbonium someday - Manifold/turbo/02. But, seems like FP is not selling the Evo3 16G anymore. They have some new mutant turbo out that spools even faster or something - its like 1300 bux, though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

EDIT - Also, from what I have read - a well-ported 2G performs like an evo3 manifold. As long as there are no cracks, its all good.

Anyone know if the FP manifold is lighter than the OEM manifolds? Just wondering...

Last edited:

James

Because FP had to sell the 16g at 1000-1300 also lol.

blacksheep

^^^ Well, I just don't know who a good source for a MHI Evo3 16G is anymore, seems like ExtremePsi has them for now at 900 or something...I don't know if I should snatch one up and stash it now. Anyways, doesnt matter - sorry for going off-topic. I will stop now!

460GVR4

Had an extremely ported 2g manifold noticed huge difference over stock. Added my FP race manifold and didn't notice a difference and lost my heat shield. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess it looks better?

MellowVR4

Heres a wrap for the fp manifold on ebay, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

click

JNR

I haven't ran mine yet, but am impressed with it, except it does and can use some work still as far as porting (matching) and polishing, etc...I mean, it'll *work*, but if you're into the details and want everything 100%, then I'd prepare to do that...Still better than an EVOIII, etc. as-is, but just saying...That and get a good coating on it.

MellowVR4

Quoting blacksheep:
Hmm, interesting but that looks hideous, plus you have to use metal ties or something - taking it on and off will suck I feel.

i guess when ever you do take it off you can just cut the metal ties and get new ones, it dont look that bad lol, better then rusted or uncoated manifolds.

James

Wonder why FP... Or anyone for that matter.. Doesn't start fabbing up some shields. Seems like a fairly simple job for someone in that business. And they are always wanted by people with FP manifolds. FP could run a special where you buy both at the same time and get it a little cheaper.

RayH

I found from owning the Mini that there's a company making insulating blankets from Aerogel and from there found that you can get samples of the raw material relatively cheaply. Might be worth experimenting with.

Pyrogel XT

JNR

Somebody made a SS unit, but IMO looked like crap...I think these look best not covered up (eg coated), as they are nice looking units. Besides, just slapping on a piece of SS doesn't do much for the heat retention you want for a turbo, although suppose it helps a little with keeping the engine bay slightly cooler right above it, but the heat has to go somewhere; it doesn't just disappear of course...maybe putting some alum. foil on top (this does work), some insulation, then a shield could work, but again, it just doesn't look as nice as the manifold being exposed, IMO.

MellowVR4

Your right the manifold does look sweet without any blanket or shield on it, but i would still get a blanket like the one on ebay. The heat thats not all over the engine bay would actually help the turbo spool more effitiently.

JNR

definitely functional, although if it's not coated, I'd worry about any condensation on the surface with corrosion (rust), but doubt it's be enough to be of concern.

MellowVR4

oh yeah, some VHT paint coating is a must.

boostin4door

I ran a FP when they first came out on the group buy[w/my HX35]. Very good product. Car ran great w/it compared to my 2g. had it ceramic coated and it held up well.

thecman02

I've had once since 08. It finally cracked a little on the very front in the collector area. As far as spool it was 50-100rpm quicker then the unported 2g manifold that was on the car when i bought it. I would say its very durable since it has been daily driven in Michigan for 40k miles. I had a local ceramic coater put a "high temp 2000*F" coating on it when I got it brand new. That flaked off within a couple weeks which was a huge disappointment. If you were going to get a coating I'd do a swaintech white lightining coat. A friend of mine got his done and its held up flawlessly for many years. He even painted it with some black grill paint so it looked more appealing. That coating is awesome. I was planning on picking up that manifold blanket, but I'm switching to a tubular t4ts setup this spring and didn't feel like dropping anymore money into this setup. The temps can get quite nasty with no heat shield and would recommend that blanket or a good coating before running.

prove_it

That's where hood vents would help out a bunch. I love my bare manifold in the winter, helps to get it up to running temp quickly...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts