The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g intercooler

Yao

Okay, it's time to do intercooler upgrade. I am looking at 1g VRSF Kit. Just one question, anybody knows if a 1g front bumper mount is similar to vr4? They don't have Gvr4 kit, but I think it might work, no?

transparentdsm

short answer yes, any intercooler with "work". long answer not really, there will be lots of cutting and the bumper supports are absolutely nothing alike. you will be cutting up a good amount of the bumper support and possibly parts of the frame. i just did an evo8 install and i had to cut parts around my pass headlight to get the piping to route properly, i also had to do a mini wire tuck to keep from having intercooler pipe hitting it and the radiator. if anything i would look into the dimension of the 2G one because the drivers side piping is up top, just the way the aftermarket GVR4 specific ones are.. i'd do lots of measuring and probably have the bumper off the car checking every measurement so i know what im getting into.

Last edited:

Yao

K, looking closer, I think I'll just stick with ETS. My partial front mount is not doing good at all, 85 degrees out side and my intake temp at manifold is 130!! with 8psi??!! How am I suppose to let the 16g lose when it could barely do 8psi... yeah, and a GTR3 and a vette flew by me today, didn't give chase when I realize 8psi with 130 temp and 7 count of knock is not going to take on the big boys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bmxr152

Well i have not found any pictures or info on here about a 1g dsm VR Speed intercooler installed on a gvr4. Anyways i did one this weekend. It was not hard at all. The only modifications i had to do was trim the sides by the radiator where the wire harness tucks by. Even the mounting tabs that came with the intercooler matched up the the frame. Not the center one but im not to worried about that. I had to but another 90 degree 2.5 bend and 2.5 pipe since i cannot fit the holset with this stupid civic core. I will be going with a scirocco setup soon. anyways heres some pictures for you guys.

Anyways ill have a little stuff left to do and i snap a picture of it with the bumper on.

Last edited:

5OF2k

Search "johhny #5". I did the VRSF kit on mine and i didnt have to do much modifications at all.

-Jake

tektic

Where was this when I was looking for pics like this?
Nice set good install. I would like to see a picture from the top showing how far forward under the bumper it comes.

bmxr152

okay heres some completed picture and the requested bumper picture. I noticed 200 rpm faster spool and 30F drop in temps at the manifold.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

master p piping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bmxr152

Thanks. I just installed a scirocco radiator and now have the turbo down firing. Clean up the engine bay a little. Overall though i love the vrspeed fmic and even at 104f outside its only showing 110f intake manifold temps

Chi271

I will be having the same setup on 271...(1g vrsf/civic half rad.). Both parts sitting on shelf currently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gifHow were your coolant temps with that half size radiator, before and after fmic? Any over heating? Thanks

bmxr152

Well i was having overheating issues with the civic radiator so i switched to a scirocco. This way at 110f trmps though. It did fine at 95 but as soon as it hit in the 100s i couldnt get the temps lower than 210.

EfiniX

What this always boils down to is one simple question: What's your time worth?

You can make anything fit within reason. I purchased the ETS kit and had it installed because it was worth more to me to have time available to work then it was to have time devoted to tearing down my car and installing the kit. And that's with a setup designed specifically for the VR4. If you have the tools, awesome and you can make quick work of a kit. If you don't have the tools, you'll either have to improvise, or buy tools (so now it's a bit more). If you are making a non-kit work, be prepared for custom pipes, weird angles, tap and die sets, etc....

anything can be done, but I've seen far too many people think they are going the easy/less-expensive route only to be shaking their heads months later saying "yeah, I got it in, but if I could do it over again...."

That being said, if you don't need it as a daily and you have the space to work on it, you'll never learn more about your car then by breaking it and putting it back together!

Quoting Yao:
Okay, it's time to do intercooler upgrade. I am looking at 1g VRSF Kit. Just one question, anybody knows if a 1g front bumper mount is similar to vr4? They don't have Gvr4 kit, but I think it might work, no?

bmxr152

It really was not that much extra work to get it to fit. I like that the piping was a good 2 feet shorter with less bends on the 1g intercooler. So far I still like it. Ive had an ets kit on another car and i still had to do some modifying of the radiator support.

Last edited:

car_guy

I know this is an older thread but now that ETS is no longer an option, I'm seriously considering this. My question is what intake and MAF setup are you guys who have done this using?

Last edited:

EfiniX

You might try calling English Racing. They are right around the corner from ETS and might have some stock on the shelves.

I mean if you're lucky....

EDIT:

Wait, why is it not an option? I didn't even bother checking before writing my reply, but it's certainly still on their website.

Oh, and you are my hero. Thanks for searching old threads before posting a new one!

click

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

ETS sadly discontinued the GVR4 kit. They will no longer carry or make the pipes, just the Intercooler.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts