The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4G63 DOHC rebuild for free runners

zzrblacklady

Hi all,
wanted to know if anyone has ever converted a 4G63 DOHC for free runner? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

The 4G63 SOHC is one, I know from experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Belt has been broken, and 2h work later he runs again without problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I just do not know if it was by the piston valve pockets or by the distance of the pistons and valves.

Now my question: Is it for the 4G63 DOHC pistons with valve pockets, so this gets a freewheel?

I am grateful for feedback,
regards ZZR-Blacklady

belize1334

Are you referring to interference vs. non-interference engines? I don't believe it's possible to build a non-interference 4g63. If you break your timing belt, valves and pistons WILL collide.

fuel

A short answer is NO.

With the compact pent-roof combustion chamber, larger total valve area and lift of the valves there just isn't enough room for the open valves to occupy a space when the piston is at TDC.

The best thing to do is just make sure your timing belt is changed at its intended intervals - usually it's 100,000kms (62,000mi) or every 5-10 years.

Of all the interference engines I have owned, I have never had a timing belt snap on me purely because I carry out the maintenance when it is required.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Sure you can do it. Get really, really low compression pistons and some short rods. That'll clear the valves.

zzrblacklady

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies, I do not have "4G63DOHC engine / cylinder head" disassembled, so my question.
So thank you again for the replies, I will regularly check and change the timing belt,
regards Holger

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts