The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter Issue / No Start

vr4872

Ok lest start by saying that the car runs fine if roll started.. the issue is the starter locked up on me finally.. so I pulled that sucker out rebuilt it real bitchin and slapped it back together and down the road we go.. WRONG!! the starter now when engaging only hits the flywheel for a split second and then grinds like it is already started.. pulled the starter back out replaced with a new one and BAM Same thing.. now I'm at a loss.. could this possibly be signs of light crcnk walk in a six bolt??? there were no marks on the flywheel, no marks on the starter wheel, and no missing teeth on the flywheel.. any ideas. the car sits now with some tastful mods and an stage 4 Competition Six Puck (sprung) and a -12lbs. FULL STEEL Flywheel(not mixed steel/aluminium).. any ideas would help.. thanks all

pauleyman

Has it ever started with a starter? Sounds like you just put a motor in or something. If that is the case do you have an AWD flywheel on it? Come to think of it I'm not even sure you can even install an AWD tranny over a FWD flywheel. Do you have the tranny backing plate installed?

123abc

Yes, check to make sure the starter plate is installed. I forgot mine on my old fwd and was running into the same issue. I ended up finding a couple washers that were the same thickness to space the starter out more.

chrisfullwood

check to make sure the starter wire is in good shape, if its not getting enough power to the solenoid, the starter wont have the power to turn the flywheel, and it'll just click and grind. It might be worth hooking up a wire to it, and running it to a multimeter to make sure you getting enough amps. Also, check your battery, make sure it has enough amps. remember, roll starting doesnt use the electrical system to start it, so those are things that can be easily missed.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting pauleyman:
Has it ever started with a starter? Sounds like you just put a motor in or something. If that is the case do you have an AWD flywheel on it? Come to think of it I'm not even sure you can even install an AWD tranny over a FWD flywheel. Do you have the tranny backing plate installed?

good post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lots of good info on troubleshhoting misc starter issues in this thread

Last edited:

vr4872

got it figured out,my napa guy was giving me a starter for a auto!! the bindix is shorter due to the width of the converter!!!! OOOPS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts