The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

low to no oil pressure

Galantvr4559

Ok so I was driving my car and I lost oil pressure but nothing sounds wrong what is wrong. Maybe oil pump ou. Car runs and drives. Need help.

turbowop

What brand of gauge are you using?

I have Prosport boost and oil pressure gauges (cheap!) in 503 and the oil pressure gauge wouldn't register at idle since new. A couple weeks ago while on a 2hr trip down the freeway it started bouncing all over the place and now the gauge pegs anytime I sit at idle or drive the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Car is fine otherwise. I plan to yank the crappy gauge and keep driving.

Make sure the gauge is working properly before you go digging any farther.

4thStroke

Did the factory low oil pressure light on the dash come on? Make sure its working. When you turn the key on, the oil light will come on and shut off once you start the car.

Galantvr4559

Its an autometer full sweep mech gauge, plummed off the ofh. And yes the oil light does come on at idle. I am about 20psi oil pressure while driving. I parked it for now. I believe its the oil pump. It did it before for about a week and then stopped now its back.

alansupra94

Kinda surprised. Do mechanical oil pumps usually fail like that? I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clog in there or something.

turbowop

I'm not sure how mechanical pumps usually fail, but I can't imagine it would stop working and then be okay for awhile and then stop again. Either those gears are spinning/meshing together creating vacuum that sucks oil out of the pan and pushing it into the engine, or something broke and those gears aren't spinning at all. Or if you have balance shafts removed, the bearing that blocks the oil hole ain't blocking it anymore and you're losing pressure that way.

Galantvr4559

Well it didnt just stop working the first time it only gave me low oil pressure light at idle. Now it wont even build oil pressure.

rdomeck

I just tore into my engine because of of bent valves and found that one of the bearings for the balance shaft had came out causing no oil pressure to #3 main bearing. Didn't light the idiot light, but I'm sure it was low! As far as oil pumps go they are not intermittent...They work or they don't. If you have some oil pressure your problem is after the oil pump. More than likely in the bottom end of your engine. I would pull the pan and look up to see if your balance shaft bearings are still in place. The bore of mine was worn to the point of not bearing able to hold the bearing so I had to tap and plug the oil passage.

Galantvr4559

thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I dont have time to dig into it so ts gonna have to go to my buddy to get fixed.

toybreaker

iconoclast
The symptoms you are describing with your oil pressure fluctuating can be caused by a pressure relief piston hanging in the bore.

Do you know the history of the oil filter adapter?

Has it been "modded" around the oil pressure relief port?

Before tearing things down, it'd be worth pulling the filter adapter and checking the pressure relief valve piston and it's bore for a burr/debris and/or a broken/weak spring or some such.

I've seen a modded one create this exact same scenerio, and the poor guy had it hang on a brandy new build, and it cost him all the rod bearings as well as the crank. (again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif )

Last edited:

Galantvr4559

Well I dont think I hurt anything in the bottom end. I didnt hear any bad noises and I wasnt driving it hard when this all happened. Thanks for thw insight on where the pressure relief valve is. My buddy said he would try that first.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting toybreaker:
The symptoms you are describing with your oil pressure fluctuating can be caused by a pressure relief piston hanging in the bore.

Do you know the history of the oil filter adapter?

Has it been "modded" around the oil pressure relief port?

Before tearing things down, it'd be worth pulling the filter adapter and checking the pressure relief valve piston and it's bore for a burr/debris and/or a broken/weak spring or some such.

I've seen a modded one create this exact same scenerio, and the poor guy had it hang on a brandy new build, and it cost him all the rod bearings as well as the crank. (again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif )

Great info Toybreaker. What do you suggest doing to the relief valve piston? Just sanding it down a little bit if there is a burr/debris?

Galantvr4559

So I check/cleaned oil relief and still no oil pressure. I took ofh off cleaned it up and put it back on. When I started it it jumped timing I believe. I am so screwed. Thanks for the input guys. This is officially the worse day of my life.

Overkill

Can you turn the crank by hand or did it seize. Spun bearings will make your oil pressure jump around like that so drain your oil and check for glitter to know how the bearings are.

Overkill

Tear down last night resulted in finding a seized intake cam due to lack of oil in top of the motor. Definitely have an oil pressure issue, which caused the timing to skip so that is next on the list to diagnose. Stay tuned!

Diego

200 is fair, 250 is kind of high unless its coming with all new internal parts

Galantvr4559

Its complete and the dude said the previous owner of the car it came out of, it was just rebuilt not to loong ago. Unsure of miles. Im kind of skepticle but I am gonna check it out anyways. Ill let ya know what comes of it.

PreskitVR4

Quoting turbowop:
What brand of gauge are you using?

I have Prosport boost and oil pressure gauges (cheap!) in 503 and the oil pressure gauge wouldn't register at idle since new. A couple weeks ago while on a 2hr trip down the freeway it started bouncing all over the place and now the gauge pegs anytime I sit at idle or drive the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Car is fine otherwise. I plan to yank the crappy gauge and keep driving.

Make sure the gauge is working properly before you go digging any farther.

My prosport is PEGGED @100 psi all the time. if i sit for a while with the key on, it starts bouncing eventually.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts