The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hunting Idle on Hot Start is driving me nuts!

cheekychimp

Okay I previously started a thread on my idling users here.

Click

A lot of the issues are now solved so I am starting this thread to concentrate on the remaining issue which is: -

On cold starts despite having to be turned over a few times before it fires, it starts fine and idles really, really well but it hunts badly and stalls on hot starts if switched off for 15 minutes or less. I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I have heard that there is some sort of code in the ECU for hot starts. What does that incorporate and could it be causing any issues?

To recap this is an S90 throttle body which has no provision for a closed idle switch which is currently disconnected. I am using an FIAV block off plate and it has been suggested that this could be leaking. The throttle body may need to be grounded as I think the OEM grounding location was lost when we switched throttle bodies. Finally since the ISC is old it could be faulty. I purchased a new ISC but it seems the JDM and USDM ISCs are different so I am stuck with the old ISC at present.

Any of these issues could technically be the source of the problem but I really need to know why any of them would only cause an issue on a hot start and not on a cold start.

Anyone got any ideas?

jepherz

Staff member
You might as well test the coils of the ISC if it's old and you're questioning its reliability. Just do the ohm test and if any of the coils are open or shorted out, you know it's not going to work correctly.

cheekychimp

SouthCali ... I have absolutely no idea mate. What is it, what does it do and where can I find it? Please tell me more because whilst I do still have a few things to check like the ISC this does appear to be a hot start specific problem.

SouthCaliVR4

if you trace the vacuum line from the fuel press regulator it should go through a vacuum solenoid. I believe the theory is to boost fuel pressure on hot starts. later when I have time to look it up I'll dig up more info & the diagram. This is a part I'm unsure whether or not it's applicable to the jdm version but I would think so.

cheekychimp

Sounds like a reasonable assumption on your part. I'll check that out. Assuming that part is there on the JDM vehicle and assuming it is FUBAR'd, what symptoms could I expect?

cheekychimp

Okay the solenoid us not currently in play. I have an AFPR and it bypasses the solenoid. Is this likely to be the issue? Seems that a lot of people set things up like this without issue but since I assume the solenoid was installed specifically for hot starts it seems suspicious.

Thanks for the useful info, but i am about to try your solutions re: idle probs. if i will block the fiav and isc with a plate, will there be any new problems that may come out after this modification on a 4g67 dohc engine? what would i do with the wire harness of the isc? thank you again for all the help.

dlesser

I just finished blocking off my FIAV today and it solved my problem. I had idle surge really bad and I simply followed this little guide.

click

My problem is fixed and it is really not hard to do. This is a good place to start because you can always change it back quickly and you don't need to buy anything :)

GSX_TC

so all you did was rotate that valve clockwise and that got rid of your idling problem?

GSX_TC

ah ok, so if its the ISC this will do nothing for you then huh

dlesser

So, yeah this just closes the FIAV. You can also screw it back out to the same position as long as you count the amount of turns it took to close it. I have about 3 working ISC motors that I was able to test with so I quickly figured out it was the FIAV.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but the idea behind idle surge is that too much air is getting through the throttle body at idle. The ISC motor can compensate so my theory was to just remove some of that "passing air" by blocking off the FIAV. Now the GVR4 idle's better than my EVO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have done it.FIAV Shut! as you said no more high idle on cold start. good idle but have to adjust it to 1k rpm to compensate when i turn on the a/c. Could you also help me re: 4g63 gti camshafts, would it fit to a 4g67 engine(1.8l disp.). Or 4g63t cams will fit on a 4g67? Are all the parts of the4g63 the same with 4g67? (Difference only is the size or bore of the pistons?
Thanks again for all the tech infos and how to dos.

AnotherNewb

Just adding my two cents. Blocked my fiav and isc off on my throttle body. No longer does it stall when I stab the throttle and die. Idle doesn't hunt or sound labored. Im happy with it. Every dsm I own from now on will have the fiav and isc blocked off. Oh yeah, instead of buying one I made one out of a steel outlet cover. Took me ten min and 6bucks.

Quote:
re: 4g63 gti camshafts, would it fit to a 4g67 engine(1.8l disp.). Or 4g63t cams will fit on a 4g67? Are all the parts of the4g63 the same with 4g67?

click

GSX_TC

Today I blocked off my fiav like that link said, but nothing changed. Idle still surges and if left on long enough it just dies. Would a bad ISC be the cause of those symptoms?

dlesser

From my experience it sounds like your ISC is not working correctly (especially since your FIAV is blocked off). Do you have anyone near you with a spare? I can ship you one that I know works if you want...

I don't like to toss parts at a car but it is a simple test if you have a known to be good ISC motor.

GSX_TC

Ok I just put on one of those good black ISC's and now it's even worse! Now even with the biss set all the way clockwise it's revs and surges very quickly around 2200. So even with a blocked off fiav and working ISC, it still doesn't work. In fact it's worse. Any ideas?

GSX_TC

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Just adding my two cents. Blocked my fiav and isc off on my throttle body. No longer does it stall when I stab the throttle and die. Idle doesn't hunt or sound labored. Im happy with it. Every dsm I own from now on will have the fiav and isc blocked off. Oh yeah, instead of buying one I made one out of a steel outlet cover. Took me ten min and 6bucks.

You make it sound sioo dam easy but it's not. Bevause that's not how easy it is

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts