The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil light flickers

mrbonnell

278 of 2000 here. Oil light started to slightly flicker on/off, then eventually illuminated fully. Turns off at higher rpms. Checked vfaq for any clues or answer and came up empty. A fellow DSM'r told me it could be and oil sender/switch. Just checking to make sure if there is a possibility that it could be anything else. Dip stick reads full, oil pressure good.

How have you verified the oil pressure is good?

It likely it is just the oil pressure switch or a loose connection to it.

fuel

I would get an oil pressure gauge on there ASAP to monitor the oil pressure.

I had a similar issue with my parents old 5th gen Galant 2.0 Super Saloon, they've had it since near new, had about 100k miles on it and would get a service every 6 months without fail, which often only 2-3000 miles had been travelled between services. Needless to say the engine was pristine inside with no oil issues whatsoever. One day the oil light started flickering on, more so when the engine was idling or in drive and sitting at the lights. It turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch. $5 later and it was sorted!

Just do what I do and put a piece of tape over the light, out of sight out of mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Sorry had to. Try jiggling the wire while sombody keeps an eye on the light, if it flickers then tighten up the plug, that's all that was wrong with a Cordia Turbo I had.

mrbonnell

Quoting Darksyne:
How have you verified the oil pressure is good?

It likely it is just the oil pressure switch or a loose connection to it.

I have an after market oil pressure gauge and I have to believe it reads true. The dip stick read full. I will def check out the oil pressure switch but im also curious are they known to leak a little oil?

Last edited:

mrbonnell

Quoting Justin_Cosgrove:
Just do what I do and put a piece of tape over the light, out of sight out of mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Sorry had to. Try jiggling the wire while sombody keeps an eye on the light, if it flickers then tighten up the plug, that's all that was wrong with a Cordia Turbo I had.

Haha like it never came on! I love it, do you recommend black electrical tape or duck tape for this repiar? lol

HHIVR4

If you have the stock water cooled oil filter housing they are known to leak because they tend to vibrate loose.You can disassemble,clean and loctite and I highly recommend it.Or swap to a 90 DSM one and have the advantage of an oil cooler.

RayH

When my pressure sender went bad it started to flicker on only when oil pressure was the lowest which was when the engine is warmed up and idling. As the sender got worse the rpms at which it started coming on got higher. I think what happens is as the sender goes bad the threshold pressure at which it comes on slowly goes up and it eventually reaches the lowest pressure that the engine run at and starts flickering on.

mrbonnell

Quoting HHIVR4:
If you have the stock water cooled oil filter housing they are known to leak because they tend to vibrate loose.You can disassemble,clean and loctite and I highly recommend it.Or swap to a 90 DSM one and have the advantage of an oil cooler.

Im assuming the 90 DSM bolts right up or is there any modding involved?

Last edited:

mrbonnell

Quoting RayH:
When my pressure sender went bad it started to flicker on only when oil pressure was the lowest which was when the engine is warmed up and idling. As the sender got worse the rpms at which it started coming on got higher. I think what happens is as the sender goes bad the threshold pressure at which it comes on slowly goes up and it eventually reaches the lowest pressure that the engine run at and starts flickering on.

This sounds exactly like my problem, thanks for all the help everyone. Is there anyway that I can say this thread so that i can reference it at a later date in case this problem comes up again?

mrbonnell

Hey to the last poster, I accidentally deleted your post. My appologies please post again.

Quote:
Haha like it never came on! I love it, do you recommend black electrical tape or duck tape for this repiar? lol

Actualy I wasn't intirely joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I used a playing card over my fuel gauge during the hour drive home from Polytech as it was too discerning driving with the fuel light on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif did that most days. Never stopped.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts