The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Arlington, TX

BluFalcon

If you're looking for a good little daily driver, that you can tinker with then you might want to consider this car. It's an older TDI, which means less emissions BS, more fuel efficient than the newer models and the easiest to work on. This is not one of the models currently under scrutiny by the EPA.

FOR SALE
1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI 5 Speed
$3500 OBO
Clean Blue Texas Title In My Name.
Current Inspection (Safety Only, Emissions Exempt In Texas)

I've had the car since July and it's been my daily driver since then. It replaced my previous 96 Passat TDI, which I sold to buy this one as it was in a lot better shape than the 96 that I had. I've put about 10K miles on it, as I drive to Kansas every other weekend and daily it in the D/FW Metroplex. Car gets 40-43 MPG on the highway, with me driving it with the A/C going. If someone were to drive with a lighter foot on the throttle, it would get a lot better mileage. It has had some recent work done to it to make it a reliable Daily Driver and Road Trip Warrior. In addition to numerous trips to Central Kansas and places in between, the car has taken me and my girlfriend to Grand Island, Nebraska so she could run a half marathon at the Nebraska State Fair this year, because she's crazy and likes to run.

I would not hesitate to hop in and drive this car across the country and back right now. (Seriously)

I'm only selling the car because a coworker is offering me a Crack Head deal on a newer TDI, and I already have two other vehicles in my apartment complex parking lot. So, unfortunately, this one has to go.
Car currently has approximately 283K Miles with no CEL's. ECU has a performance upgrade chip, but unsure of brand. Engine runs great, with no part throttle stumble or driveability issues present in some older B4's. No oil or water leaks and I check the oil level at every fill up with Rotella T-6 5W-40. I also use the larger capacity Mann oil filters. Car shifts fine, with no grinds or blocked shifts. Cruise and A/C work as well. All 4 windows roll up and down, sunroof works with no leaks and all 4 door handles work.

Recent Maintenance/Parts:

Ignition Switch Replaced With New Part From ID Parts
New Timing Belt ,Water Pump and Camshaft @ 275K Work done @ DigiSport Performance in Denton, TX (Have Receipt)
New N108 Valve On Injection Pump Replaced By DigiSport to Eliminate CEL And Intermittent Power Loss (Have Receipt)
Tranny Fluid Replaced With OEM VW G 070 Fluid @ 276K Miles
New Air and Cabin Filter @ 275K
New Fuel Filter @ 275K
Oil Change Filter @ 275K
New Battery In January By Previous Owner
New Front Tires/ Factory Steelies With Factory Wheel Covers
New Aftermarket Leather Shift Boot/Parking Brake Boot Covers

Exterior:

White Paint, With Factory Trunk Lid Spoiler.
Body is straight with no major dents or dings. Like my previous 96 Passat, this one appears to have been a Texas car for the most part so, no serious rust that I can see anywhere on the car. (Why do other states salt their roads?) The clear coat on the paint is peeling in some spots on top of the roof and other parts of the body, but hasn't faded through yet. The front headlight/grill trim surround has rock chips and the usual small spots of surface rust that can be easily fixed with some time and paint. The headlights were polished and the previous owner installed new reflectors/front turn signal units before I got the car.

20150921_120852.jpg

20150921_120840.jpg

20150921_120818.jpg

20150921_120806.jpg

20150921_120757.jpg

Interior:

Clean Interior, Tan Leather Seats, Tinted Windows (Tint On Pass Rear Is Bubbling A Bit), GLX Leather Steering Wheel, Tan Floor Mats, Matching Door Panels. Alpine CD Head Unit With Bluetooth, AUX Input, USB and Hands Free Calling. GLX Fog/Head/Parking Light Switch

20150920_183310.jpg

20150920_183137.jpg

20150920_183251.jpg

More Pictures:

20150918_150201.jpg

20150920_183257.jpg

20150920_183220.jpg

20150920_183216.jpg

20150920_183201.jpg

20150920_183145.jpg

Now, For The "Weird, Bad, And Quirky" stuff.

Wind Noise- The driver's side window doesn't rise evenly when the window is raised to the up position. The back half of the glass sits cocked in the frame all the way in the up position, and allows wind to get past it at highway speeds. I think the previous owner replaced the window actuator and it's just a bit worn out. I've manually held the window in place while raising it to align it in the frame and bumping it up or down with the switch as needed to minimize the noise at highway speeds. Never got around to fixing it, as it is at most an annoyance. The other three windows are fine as far as wind noise and operation.

Left Blinker Indicator- Sometimes the left turn signal indicator in the instrument panel, doesn't light up when signaling left. If you tap on top of the dash, it'll light up. Just a loose connection or bulb. Your turn signals are working externally, it's just an indication issue.

Suspension Pop- Suspension pops at times when taking off from a stop or while braking. I have new strut mounts and bushings for the front struts, just never installed.

Alarm Light-The LED for the factory alarm in the top of the D/S door doesn't light up when the system is armed. It's armed, it's just not lighting up.

Extras:

Included with the car will be all the spare parts I have for the car. Foglights (Just need to be installed), Various Switches, Interior Trim Parts, A/C Compressor, Starter, Injection Pump, Front Lower Control Arms, Lower Splash Shield and any other hardware I have for the car.

If you have any further questions, or offers please feel free to message me. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Last edited:

Tommyd

Great car for a dd. Used to have a 96, got 700miles to a tank of diesel. And technically it was home heating oil, not even road going diesel. It was still running strong at 412k miles before I gave it to a friend

BluFalcon

This thing is dead nuts reliable, and if I didn't get a great deal on this 05 Golf TDI, I'd still be driving it and racking the miles up on it. Open to offers.

BluFalcon

Price drop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

$3000 includes everything previously mentioned plus a complete rebuilt GT-15 turbocharger for the car, and a set of Bentley Factory Manuals, which are supposedly stupid hard to find for the B4 Passats.

Who wants a reliable 5 speed daily driver that blows a good sized black cloud of "Koala Killin'" smoke when you floor it on downshifts, and still gets 43 mpg on the highway?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts