The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GT500 Hood Vent Install

While searching for a solution to high under-hood temperatures I stumbled across some pictures of the OEM hood vent from a 2010 Shelby GT500 and decided to install it in the Galant.

It matches up perfectly with the stock body lines and is surprising cheap at around $70.

Needed:
Hood vent: Ford Part Number AR3Z-16C630-AA
Painters tape
Paint for the exposed metal edges
Metal cutting device (I used a Dremel with the new metal cutting discs)
3M foam mounting tape
Measuring tape
Sharpie
Razor blade
Alcohol

I started by tracing the outline of the hood vent on the box it was shipped in. After tracing the outline, measure the distance from the edge to the raised area and transfer those dimensions to the traced outline. Cut out the template from the box. After the template is cut you can place the hood scoop in the opening you cut to check its accuracy. If it fits well then move on to the car.

Decide where you want the scoop to be placed and apply painters tape to where the hood scoop will be. I'd recommend locating the center of the hood and template to ensure it will be centered. Trace the template onto the tape and begin cutting. This will take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on your tool of choice. Remember that you can always remove more material but can't add it back!

Here is what I cut out:

It may look like the structural rigidity would be severely impacted but I barely noticed a difference:

Test fit the hood vent in the hole and perform any additional cutting. The front of the hood vent will slip over the front sheetmetal edge and the rear is secured by 3M tape and a stud. The hood vent has two pieces in the rear on either side that fit into slots on the GT500 hood. I removed these and added some 3M tape over where they were. Mark the location of the stud in the rear and remove the vent and drill the hole.

Remove all the painters tape and cover any exposed edges with touch-up paint.

While that is drying, grab the 3M tape, hood vent, and razor and add tape to the sides for extra stiction.

Once the paint is dry, install the scoop in the hood and secure the stud underneath with a nut (you'll need to check the dimensions youself, I had a random nut that was the right size) ensuring you leave the red tape tags sticking out . Grab your tape measure and measure from the back of the hood to the top edge of the vent and get it centered and square in the hood. Once it's where you want it then grab the red tape tags and pull them out. Find something heavy to place on the scoop (I did it overnight) to get it stuck on there well.

Results:

Last edited by a moderator:

ApexHunter

That looks pretty damn effective. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the RS style vents, but not bad.

2of9

does look alot more effective performance wise. may consider doing this. This should be in the "how-to" section.

curtis

more pictures in daylight please

Ralli380Gvr4

Curtis, you just llke Stang parts on Galant's. Don't lie.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd paint it though. It sort of looks like a spark plug cover laid on the hood.

Quoting curtis:
more pictures in daylight please

I'll definitely get some pictures in better lighting this weekend once I get the new rear tires on and transmission and transfer case filled.

I might even wash it so it's no longer Summit Grey with grime handprints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Quoting crankwalk:
I'd paint it though. It sort of looks like a spark plug cover laid on the hood.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif It kind of does in the low lighting.

I think it might look odd painted white. As it is now I think it looks like an earlier version of the Evo 8 hood vent.

It definitely fits the character lines on the hood perfectly.

curtis

Quoting Ralli380Gvr4:
Curtis, you just llke Stang parts on Galant's. Don't lie.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would just like any parts on the galant at this point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I couldn't use it because I already have the cf copies Paulo did. Actually I got the first prototype set he did and by the looks of the pictures above its back further that where the factory locations are I used to install mine.

I tried to get the vent as far forward as possible on the hood to get it into the low pressure area at the front of the car.

Based on the pictures of JDM hoods and crossmembers it looks like it's in the same spot with the GT500 vent being much larger.

DSCN6526.jpg

6476-0-0-0.jpg

Pretty nice!!! But i just love the look of 2 seperate ones, next to each other. The fact that this one is more functional/better is a big +, but i would still try to achive/modify it to end up with 2 separate ones. Can't really explain why, but i just like the look of it better.

curtis

Yea I think your right it may work where I put the carbon ones. Get some measurements with tape like the above shot so see if it will clear the ones that have used the Paulo vents already if you don't mind. Oh and can you take a photo from next to the driver or passenger side mirror facing forward to see how it looks in that direction.

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Looks cool to me, personally I'd paint it white and leave the mesh black but still a nice mod!

Last edited:

There are some people who have modified them and IMO they never look as good as the solid piece. There is a visible seam, you lose the stud in the rear for securing the scoop so you have to rivet or screw it to the hood, and reduced venting from a smaller opening.

GT500hoodventclose.jpg

With the vent already fitting perfectly to the character lines on the Galant you'd be sacrificing a lot of the benefits of using the whole piece for no gain.

IncorpoRatedX

dig it! post more pics!

alansupra94

Wow. Not going to lie, I am doing this very soon!

Someone move this to the How-To section!

Quoting curtis:
Yea I think your right it may work where I put the carbon ones. Get some measurements with tape like the above shot so see if it will clear the ones that have used the Paulo vents already if you don't mind. Oh and can you take a photo from next to the driver or passenger side mirror facing forward to see how it looks in that direction.

Pictures as requested:

Measured from center of hood but really you can put it wherever you want.

citymunky

Can you take a side pic the whole car? I kinda like the idea, but I would like to see how the black air vent looks from the side of the car. I

curtis

I just measured mine and its 27 3/16 so dead on same location. Man its really growing on me. Thanks

I may have to call Tommy Vaughn Ford in Houston and order one. I hate dealing with our local dealer and I've ordered a ton of motorsports stuff from them.

One more thing I'll add... on any other color its not going to stand out as much as on a white car. If one of you photoshop guys wants to play have at it please.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned