The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch switch

CP

Which switch is the clutch switch )the one that disables the starter)? I want to duct tape it closed so I don't have to push the clutch in while attempting to start the car. This will just cause my TOB to wear prematurely. This is a common mod for Miatas, and I've already installed a $7 aluminum bracket that slides over the switch and keeps it depressed.

Rausch

the one at the bottom. i believe the one that is switched at the top is the cruise switch.....IIRC, you can just jumper the two wires together......if thats all you're trying to do.

jepherz

Staff member
If you jumper the wires the car will never start. The switch is at the bottom of the throw and is an open circuit when pressed in. Just disconnect it.

The reason people disconnect them isn't for TOB purposes /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/hsugh.gif The TOB doesn't get oiled after the engine is running... It's commonly disconnected to prevent crank walk on our cars anyways. You should have done this a long time ago.

Last edited:

Rausch

^ lol i don't remember which way it went....

edit: i know the switch just provides a ground, i just didn't remember if it was NO/NC

Last edited by a moderator:

If you don't have a chip/stutterbox, just unplug it, and you can start the car without pushing in the clutch. If you DO have a chip with a 2-step, you just need to do the clutchwire/diode installation like normal, but leave the end of the wire disconnected that runs off into the harness. You actually don't even need the diode in that case, since you no longer need to isolate the starter relay from the ECU. So, you can just:
1) cut the black/red striped wire coming off the lower clutchswitch connector
2) connect a straight piece of wire to the end of the black/red striped wire that is still connected to the switch/connector
3) tape off the other loose end of the black/red wire that goes off into the harness to the relay
4) cut the black ground wire loose from pin #104 of the ECU
5) connect the other end of the straight piece of wire to pin #104 of the ECU.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned