The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

89 center tailight section?

Wilfongtsi

Will the 89 center taillight section fit on the 91, 92 trunks? I've heard they won't, just tryin to find out for sure. I think they also don't have lights in them or sunthin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

CP

He's asking about the unit I've got for sale:

The body is the same (base Galant vs GVR4) so I don't see why they wouldn't bolt right on exactly the same as the stock center section...

It fits but will look like sh*t without the other two sides.
The sections wouldnt line up at all.

^BTW Cy your picture has the section upside down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilfongtsi

Thanks for adding pic. I just like the way the clear part matches the color on the taillights, and I'm going for a badgeless look so no vr4 emblem.

Wilfongtsi

So its upside down in the pic then, I see.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'm pretty sure they are different. I have an 89 center section and a 91 spare center, and the mounting studs are not all in identical locations. They can maybe be moved/removed, so it may fit, but not mount exactly the same.

^Ok I posted a picture of my car, which is a 91 with 89 tails for reason. It fits!

You dont use all the nut on the back side but other than that it works fine.

atc250r

Staff member
When I did mine I had to open two mounting holes in the trunk way up to make it fit.

John

atc250r

Staff member
Mine bolted in but the ends wouldn't sit flush on the top. It stuck out about 1/4".

John

DR1665

I went to install a set of these, myself, found the center section doesn't light up, and then realized I wasted $40 buying them. :p I got them because I like the way the amber turn signals are on the top - like on my Talon. Some day, I might even snag a grille from an Eagle Summit and swap it in the front just for shits and giggles...

mmc_gsx

Will the summit grill will fit the galant? may be 2000gtx will be exact fit.

wowzer

2000GTX is an exact fit Summit is different.
You should be able to switch tails.

Wilfongtsi

Did the 91 vr4's center section say vr4 on them? Do they light up?

Polish

My center section lights up on my 91 but has no badge, it's on the trunk lid.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Right. Has lights, no badge.

CP

Oh that's right, I pulled the bulbs out of my center section taillights. I thought it looked ghey with all that red back there. I was thinking about wiring up a really bright bulb on one side of the center section with a manual switch to be used as a rear foglight, ala Saab, Audi, Volvo.

I also misted some dark spray paint on my license plate bulbs so it doesn't have sun-like beacons illuminating it.

misterfixit

Two different shape decklids. definately

Rich

IncorpoRatedX

I had a wingless 90 decklid and i put my 91 tail light center section in it without any issues. So as far as i can tell they're interchangable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts