The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'91-'93 3KGT VR4 4 pot Calipers Installed!

This took me months to gather all the right parts to do the install. Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes & no.
What you need:

1) Brackets $129 steel & $119 T61 Aluminum - TunersNation.com This includes all the mounting hardwares.

2) 1 pair of '91-'93.5 3kgt vr4 front 4 piston calipers (updated 12/29/08 - Calipers TunersNation.com .

3) 1 pair of front rotors for a '94-'99 3KGT VR4. I can get plain factory rotors & pads or aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors & aftermarket performance pads. Just drop me a pm or go to TunersNation.com

4) Evo 8 wheels if you've gone 5 lug or 17x8 +38mm offset or 18x7.5 with a minimum of +18mm offset or be prepared to use wheel spacers. You can buy these at Pep Boys Auto Store. You may need 1/2" up to 3/4" spacers depending on your wheel's spoke design. You may be able to get away with smaller offset depending on your wheel's spoke design. If the spoke is around 1/2" thick you won't need spacers & should be able to get away with 42mm offset or be prepared to make an executive decision to grind down the calipers or the inside of the wheel's spoke to clear the calipers.

5) Brake fluid & new ss brake lines . Our OEM lines bolts up to the calipers so no need to replace unless you must. They come is several colors, are D.O.T Certified & made in the USA.

6) If you still have 4 lugs like I do, be prepared to line up the new 94-99 3kgt vr4 rotors with your stockers in order to re-drill them. You will need a 1/2" 'quality' bit & good drill for this. With the right bit, it doesn't take any time.

7) The dust shield will need to be trimmed starting right below the mounting tab for the ABS sensor cutting straight across to the other side. Be careful no to cut lines. Look at the pictures below for reference.

8) Since you're cutting off the mounting for the abs sensor line, you'll need a place to reattach them. The struts have a mounting area just above the strut lower top bracket.
9a) Forgot to mention that I had to shim the abs sensor with one washer.

9) Things to consider if you don't have the proper wheel to clear the calipers.
9a) You will need longer studs by at least 1/2".
9b) This is a good opportunity to determine if you want to stay 4 lug or switch to 5 lug.
9c) Upgrade suspension because your wheels will be sticking out more due to offset or wheel spacer.
9d) Replace worn out hubs, wheel bearings......
9e) Replace any torn boots while you have everything apart.
9f) Make sure when you purchase used calipers you ask for all the shims & brackets.
9g) The new 3kgt vr4 calipers are aluminum & hence lighter than our oems. The rotors however are much heavier. Unfortunately I didn't weigh any of these but pick them up & you'll see what I'm talking about.
Whenever I find the photos of the custom brackets I'll post them.

I haven't driven the car yet to 'test' the new setup. Here's a few pictures with the car finally back on the ground. Will have some better shots once I can clean up the garage & wash the car. Got one picture, car still dirty as I haven't had a chance to wash it yet.
Still haven't driven it hard yet (just enough to seat the pads). Still need to trim some fat off one wheel before I can strat thrashing it.

Added these pictures of Jermaine's car when he test fitted the calipers.

Last edited by a moderator:

464/2K

some one F'in put this in the How to section! nice write up Garfield
!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

CO VR4

Thanks, Garfield, for the informative writeup. Peter (cobrajetguy) didn't know the things you found, because he borrowed the original brackets from the suspension off the old Mofugas racecar from me, and that suspension has not been installed on a car yet. It's very helpful to know what is needed to make all the parts work on the car. Thanks again.

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

nice write up garfield. the abs throw it in the garbage its worthless anyways on our cars. let me know how you like the stopping power. i need to find out the offset on my 17's i need new brakes up front and if those brackets are still available that can be an option. someone please move this to how to and also someone find the info on the brackets.

thanks.

atc250r

Staff member
Hec,

I'm sure your Konig's are pretty similar to mine in offset and space behind the wheel so I'm gonna guess that you can forget fitting the calipers under them. one of the members here measured the distance that the caliper sticks out from the rotor for me once and it was like twice as much as the space available behind my wheels. Your best bet would be to get a set of wheels designed to clear those calipers.

John

yea only 40mm spacing according to konig. i guess ill stick to my original plan and just get all new stuff.

atc250r

Staff member
Did you see the set up that ron is using?

LINK

I'm thinking about it myself except that I'd have the rotors drilled for 4 lug. My buddy Mike ('vette guy from the NY rally) works at a F-Body/Vette place so they may even have a set of those calipers lying around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

John

Quote:
Hec,
one of the members here measured the distance that the caliper sticks out from the rotor for me once and it was like twice as much as the space available behind my wheels.

Measurement from surface of '94-'99 3kgt vr4 rotor to outside of super duper wide caliper is 2.5".

Quote:
Your best bet would be to get a set of wheels designed to clear those calipers.

John

100% agreed here. I'm not going to tell anyone how much I tweaked my wheels to clear the calipers. It was that or grind down the calipers & I wasn't about to do that. Needles to say the wheels are no good now. I needed a reason to get new wheels anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4orced4door

Why didn't you just get some spacers rather than ruin your wheels? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

How much do you think you have invested in this, including all the little stuff? Grand total?

atc250r

Staff member
You'd probably need at least a 1" spacer to fit these calipers with your average aftermarket wheels. Imagine how ridiculous the car would look with the wheels sticking out like that. Not to mention that the tires would be rubbing all the time.

John

I started to use the spacers, 2 per side = 1/2" of spacers. Needless to say, there wasn't much tread on the stud to securely fasten the lug nuts. Hence I use one spacer & trimmed some meat off the inside of the wheel spokes. The alternative would've been to get longer wheel studs but I needed the car back on the road today so I can get to & from work. So in the true spirit of us mitsu/dsm guys, I made it work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif . Not the best thing to do but like I said, I needed a reason to get new wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
$ so far
Calipers = $170 shipped
Adaptor Brackets $90
Nuts & Bolts $10
Rotors = $100 shipped
Pads = $40
Brake Fluid = $5-6
Braker cleaner = $$5-10
$ to be spent
New wheels = ~$850 shipped
Tires = ~$350
Cheaper to go aftermarket brakes that doesnt require changing wheels (depending on what you have), using spacers & getting longer studs.
OEM bling - Priceless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DAMN Garfield!!!1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
Does this mean that 3000GT brake upgrades can fit Galants too??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hmmmmmm...

yours was the 1st VR4 I ever fell in love with. (was my Wallpaper when I was still looking for a Galant)
Now its even sweeter!

nice work and keep us posted about the performance or any problems you may encounter.

I know Mark & a few others are going to get royally pissed off very soon, but I'm planning on going with 5Ziggen FNO1R-C 17x8 35mm bronze or black with polished lip. I like the way the black w/polished lip looks but always wanted to go w/good quality bronze http://www.5zigenusa.com/w_fn01rc.html.

Jermaine told me the Evo 8 wheels clears these capilers also & are the same size & offset. He already test fitted the Evo 8's & will be running them until he can get some TE37's.

4orced4door

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That's what I'm getting too. These are going to be the most overused VR4 wheels.

TWEAKD4

It isn't like there are that many wide wheels available for the GVR4 that look nice in the 4x114.3 pattern. Garfield has a few more choices since he is 5 lug now.

Looks like a great setup. Take some pics when it is back on the ground.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts