GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » Knock sensor change.
Previous thread Next thread

Knock sensor change.

gvr4ever
Forever Member
347/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 288701 posted 12/27/05 02:12 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
After a few days of pulling my hair out, I finally found a pretty easy way to do it.

At this point, anyone who hasn't changed it is probably due for sure. The reason you change it is because the backing of the knock sensor goes away and it becomes too sensitive.

New vs old.

Just for the record, that's my wifes hands, not mine

The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold behind a metal plate.

If you reach your arm in sort of by the cruise control box, between a few cables, you can reach in and get a ideal on how to reach it. You will want to practice finding it and training your arm to blindly find it. Once you get a good ideal how to reach it, you will want to remove the intake (for a stock car), upper IC hose, and the speedo cable from the transmission.

With all this removed, you can reach a full size 24mm wrench in, fit the open end on the knock sensor, and have enough torque to turn it.

The one thing we had bad luck with was undoing the original knock sensor from the car. It's held on by some sort of clip and we just cut it and left it. Other then that, it isn't that bad of a job after you figure out a few things. Finding the knock sensor is going to be the hardest part about this job. If you just can't find it, then jack up the car, and look up for it above the downpipe and look below the intake manifold with a good light source. You will have a better view and some suggested removing the exhaust (downpipe) to remove it, but even tho you have a MUCH better view, I felt the knock sensor was even farther away and out of reach with the car jacked up, and it would still be hard to turn, but it is sort of easy to find from below.

Good luck

Edited by gvr4ever (12/27/05 08:48 PM)

Posts: 5867 | From: central Indiana | Member Since: 08/06/02 | IP: (68.57.212.169) | Report this post to a Moderator

steve Galant VR4.org Administrator
Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 440675 posted 02/07/07 10:58 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Posted by gvr4737

Quote:

so here is some good news for everyone.

I purchased a GP Sorenson Knock sensor for a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gsx from Advanced Auto parts.

$58 it cost me and they got it the next day.

soo i pull my old knock sensor( which i baught from Mitsubishi directly $115 ) . i open the Gpsorenson box and find out that they are excactly the SAME knock sensor. The gpsorenson one says mitsubishi on it and same number, same wire colors .. same everything .. they are the identical knock sensor

soo anyone that ever needs to replace theyre knock sensor .. dont waste ur $$$ at satan . Go to advanced and order the $58 Gp Sorensen knock sensor .

I know it's a foreign idea for most of us here, but you might want to try taking the car off jackstands.
-mitsuturbo

Posts: 18895 | From: NJ | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (208.215.178.153) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 8111

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page