The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Higher final drives??

Larry Parker

WEll the new rally car (vr4) will need some higer final drive as the stock stuff and standard ratios suck ass in the woods with a 34mm restrictor...... Whats the word on front ans rear finals?

Larry
"talon? what talon"

cheekychimp

Larry ... the following info came from John Teeter

Comparitive speeds in gears

Stock US tranny
1st 36
2nd 65
3rd 98
4th 132

Stock GVR4 RS tranny...which I believe is pretty close to the EVO 3...
1st 39
2nd 62
3rd 86
4th 115

GVR4 RS ratios

1st 2.571
2nd 1.6
3rd 1.16
4th 0.862
5th 0.617

I've no idea what the final drive is, because I've gone with a GGSX final of 3.9525 which would be completely unsuitable for you (221 mph in 5th !!! at 7500 rpms ... well theoretically, I'm sure the drag demons would have something to say about that !!!)

I'm thinking a Stock US 1st gear and GVR4 RS gears 2nd through 5th.

TRE does a 100 mph top speed short box ... it might not be something you want to consider new, but presumably it means stock Mitsu gears from some application are available to make up a very short ratio box which might be what you need.

Do you mean higher numerically or higher; taller?

Probably numerically.

VR4 Evolution GSR/RS both use the "3.909" gearset, which has an actual ratio of 5.4xx vs 4.9xx for the lower spec/earlier/US/AUS models. The 3.909 is also in the Evo 1 and 2. The Evo 3 uses the same rearend gears, but it uses a different front diff ratio and transfer case ratio to give a final drive ratio of 5.3xx.

If you want higher/taller, than an final drive gearset from an auto is "3.309", which I think works out to 4.0xxish.

As the gearbox, the VR4 Evo in both the "GSR" and RS form, along with the Evo 1 use the closest ratio gearset of all 4wd boxes (1g and 2g). The Evo 2 uses a slighter lower first and second with the same thrid and fourth, but it does have the advantage of having double sychro all round. I'm pretty sure same that the Evo 3 is the same as the Evo 2, except for the final drive. If you were to find and use a VR4 Evo box, I would pull the five gear off and fit a .666 fifth from a normal VR4. This would essentially give you a close ratio five speed, rather than a close ratio four speed with overdrive.

Pheww!

Mike.

cheekychimp

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Get THAT information in the archives !!!

I have a e39a jdm vr4 rs clip that came with 3.545 gears front and rear. I also have a e38a galant vr4 rs evolution with 3.909 gears. I also have a ggsx with 2.845 gears. They all came stock like that. So where do all the ratios fit into this?

Quote:
I've no idea what the final drive is, because I've gone with a GGSX final of 3.9525 which would be completely unsuitable for you (221 mph in 5th !!! at 7500 rpms ... well theoretically, I'm sure the drag demons would have something to say about that !!!)

I am curious as to how much power these transmissions will take. I have a 90 GGSX and will be putting a turbo on soon, and worry that the non turbo transmission will not be able to handle the power. Any information on how strong these transmissions are would be great.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts