The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How do I get the crankshaft sprocket off?

chucklesas

I've been taking the impact to what I believe to be a bolt that helps hold that crank sprocket on. It ain't budging. Do I just need to get more leverage on it or something? It's a regular thread right, not reverse? Help me, what are your little tips and secrets for this.

14bCrazy

The only thing that holds the crank pulley on is the 4 12mm bolts. The big bolt in the middle is to take all of the timing belt stuff off.

joec

The crank pulley is held on with the 4 little bolts, the crank sprocket is held on with the one big bolt in the middle. I have one of the dejon tools holders (held in place by the four bolts on the crank pulley, then wedges against the drive shaft. Then I put a big socket wrench on the bolt (with an extender bar) and break it loose. The bolts is normal threaded.

The vfaq has a tip to use the engine starter to loosen the bolt. See step 14 http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Dejon Tools crank holder: http://www.dejontool.com/dsm-misc.htm

14bCrazy

Or take off the oil pan and use a 2x4 to hold the crank in place
grin.gif
and wrench away!!!

i believe he is talking about the sprockets not the balancer. just jam something in the flywheel teeth and use a breaker bar to take the bolt off. it is not reverse threaded. pb blaster might help you out if you cant get it.

quote:Originally posted by 14bCrazy:
Or take off the oil pan and use a 2x4 to hold the crank in place
grin.gif
and wrench away!!!
that would work! i think thats what i did actually.

14bCrazy

I know it works thats what I ended up doing.

chucklesas

Alright, I made my own sprocket tool. So now that I have the cover off and the balance shafts out, how do I get the bearings out? Not really much room to get in there. Do they pound out only one way.

Or if you're feeling adventureous you could put a 1/2" breaker bar w/socket on the crank bolt, wedge it against the garage floor and bump the starter over to crack it free. The first time I did this on my car I was VERY nervous that I'd wreck something, but I've performed it successfully on 3 cars now. Scares the life out of the owner though if it's the first time they've seen it done this way.
grin.gif

chucklesas

This is a newer engine that I bought. Hanging from an engine hoist, and the balance shafts were supposed to have been removed already...
rolleyes.gif

spoulson

Note to self: Pisces will not be working on my car.

Matticus

quote:Originally posted by pisces:
Or if you're feeling adventureous you could put a 1/2" breaker bar w/socket on the crank bolt, wedge it against the garage floor and bump the starter over to crack it free. The first time I did this on my car I was VERY nervous that I'd wreck something, but I've performed it successfully on 3 cars now. Scares the life out of the owner though if it's the first time they've seen it done this way.
grin.gif
That's how I did it. Scared the sh*t out of me doing it, but worked like a charm.

turbowop

quote:Originally posted by Matticus:
quote:Originally posted by pisces:
grin.gif
That's how I did it. Scared the sh*t out of me doing it, but worked like a charm.
Worked for me also.

You only need to remove the two FRONT bearings. I used a big socket to drive the outer one out. And, you turn the balance shaft around backwards to drive the inner one out. Actually, now that I think about it, when I did #880 last week I used the balance shaft to drive the outer bearing out too. I had it on enough of an angle that it dug into the bearing enough to drive it out. If the new bearings have an oiling hole in them, be sure to turn them so the hole doesn't line up with the oil journal in the block.
This is all covered in the VFAQ, by the way.
wink.gif

number3

back to work!
tongue.gif
devil.gif
tongue.gif
devil.gif

chucklesas

quote:Originally posted by keydiver:
This is all covered in the VFAQ, by the way.
wink.gif
Grrrr, I must have missed it while reading through. Thanks, I'll have to try that in the morning when I get off work.

Turn the front balance shaft around and push the bearings out with it (see vfaq)
?/1000

I also do the starter bump to loosen stuck crank sprockets. It scares most people but works great with a quick quick bump.

AWDnot2

I also use the starter bump. It's quick and works every time. I always re-install with blue loc-tite so I don’t have to tighten the S%$T out of it.

Note: He did state sprocket and not the pulley
tongue.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts