The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intake Heat Shield Pics.

atc250r

Staff member
I've wanted to make one of these for a while and I was feeling a bit ambitious last night so I finally did it. If anyone else has interest in one I can give you the dimensions I used. The only place I screwed up is where it goes to the radiator I didn't make it long enough. I am going to try another and hopefully learn from my mistakes but aluminum sheet is expensive so I won't do it right away. I also plan on putting some type of insulation on the shield to further reflect the heat. It is set up to work with a trunk mounted battery, 2G MAS, and a stock 2G intake boot. Here are some pics.

img.asp
img.asp

img.asp
img.asp

img.asp

John

Somebody's been busy! Damn, nice piece, John. To be honest tho, I don't think that the length on the radiator side is gonna be a problem.

Btw, thanks for the crank pulley, I'm gonna hit you up with 5 stars. I think I may have a little "surprise" for you guys on Sat. morning.
grin.gif

You can use ABS plastic sheet to make a cover to keep the hot underhood air away.

atc250r

Staff member
Yeah, I want to do something like that but in aluminum. Maybe on hinges with a DZUS fastener to latch it.

John

Another easy option to seal it is to use clip-on weatherstripping. If you get the wall height right and put the weatherstripping on the top edge it will seal to the hood when closed. It works very well this way - my temps are within 5F of ambient at almost all times.

quote:Originally posted by BlackHole:
Another easy option to seal it is to use clip-on weatherstripping. If you get the wall height right and put the weatherstripping on the top edge it will seal to the hood when closed. It works very well this way - my temps are within 5F of ambient at almost all times. Thats what I want to do! Where do you guys get the sheetmetal or ABS???

atc250r

Staff member
After searching every Home Depot and Lowes within 30 miles of home for almuminum sheet, I found it at the local hardware store in the small town that I live. It is about 1/8" thick.

John

that big flat metal area under the filter can be cut out as well.. getting more cool air to your filter/intake

i cut mine across the front, and down the 2 sides, then folded the metal down so my tire won't throw sh*t up in there.. works great! took about 20 minutes of creative cutting with a die grinder cutoff wheel and 2 pair of tinsnips

oh.. and a hammer to kind of "smooth out some rough edges"
grin.gif

True, Mitsuturbo. Jayru made an intake that went right down that spot under the filter. A true cold air intake for the VR4. Worked pretty damned well, too. Think he sold it on here a while back.

Jeff,
quote:Thats what I want to do! Where do you guys get the sheetmetal or ABS???RTP, I've got a bit of hi-temp plastic if you want some. While Al is easier to work with, I went with hi-temp plastic [don't remember which kind, but good for >210F] to eliminate any possibility of heat transfer.

Romanova,

quote:Before and after air temps?According to my datalogger the factory MAS reported:
Before: at idle, temps ~40F over ambient; at highway speeds temps ~20F over
After: at idle, temps 15-20F over; at speed >20mph, temps

atc250r

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by Mitsuturbo:
that big flat metal area under the filter can be cut out as well.. getting more cool air to your filter/intake

i cut mine across the front, and down the 2 sides, then folded the metal down so my tire won't throw sh*t up in there.. works great! took about 20 minutes of creative cutting with a die grinder cutoff wheel and 2 pair of tinsnips

oh.. and a hammer to kind of "smooth out some rough edges"
grin.gif
I am going to cut a circular hole under the filter with a hole saw, flange it, and run a duct to where the passenger side foglight used to be. That should work well.

John

atc250r

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by 2fasdsm:
nice john
applause.gif
wanna make one for me?
I may be willing to sell you mine if my latest idea becomes reality. Let me know if you're interested, I just want the 30.00 the sheet of aluminum cost me.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts