GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » Antenna mast ferrule removal
Previous thread Next thread

Antenna mast ferrule removal

Arty

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109557 posted 11/09/03 04:11 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I can't see how I can remove the ferrule from the old antenna mast, so I can re-use it on a new mast. It seems to be captive? At the top, the cap is too big for the ferrul to go over and at the bottom the nylon cylinder is too big for the ferrule to go over ??

Do the replacement masts come with the ferrule ?

-

-

John.

Posts: 384 | From: Victoria. Australia | Member Since: 09/09/02 | IP: (203.29.219.6) | Report this post to a Moderator

ken inn
BJ Titsengolf lifer

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109558 posted 11/09/03 07:06 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
yup

Posts: 7529 | From: krum texas | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (4.47.42.108) | Report this post to a Moderator

atsiauto

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109559 posted 11/09/03 07:22 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I have become quite familiar w mitsu power antennas. ive actually taken the tip off and used the first segment w the zip strip teeth off of another bent mast to make mine work again. I locked 2 sets of vice grips 180 Deg from each other and used , YES a CLAW Hammer to pop that bastage off of there! similar on re-install I rapped it back on and crimped it again w the sidecutter portion of a set Of Klein linemnans pliers. Most smarty pants will just go buy a new mast from the dealer .. Good luck .

Posts: 1575 | From: Richmond Va, | Member Since: 10/21/02 | IP: (68.57.96.24) | Report this post to a Moderator

Arty

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109560 posted 11/09/03 04:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thanks for the info.
The other thing that's concerning is that there doesn't seem to be any teeth missing from the old mast. For a few weeks the antenna wouldn't fully retract leaving 3in. of antenna out. Then it stopped extending and retracting all together, but now I can see that the mast seems to be intact. I measured the teeth at top and bottom of the mast and they are the same at both ends, troughs = 3mm peaks = 3.8mm.
I suspect the platic gear driven by the motor worm thread is worn down and maybe skipping underlead, but I'm not sure how to test it ?

John.

Posts: 384 | From: Victoria. Australia | Member Since: 09/09/02 | IP: (203.29.219.6) | Report this post to a Moderator

MarkTheBlake
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109561 posted 11/13/03 07:46 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
John.
cant answer your last question directly but I spent ages looking for a replacement mast. Local Mitsu dealer wanted to sell me one for $100. Contacted mitsu website and they told me the part didnt exist for the car.

however the Aerpro aftermarket mast for the Magna 96 and up is the exact fit. Almost all the car parts stores have them or can order them. Got mine from Repco for $42.
http://www.aerpro.com.au/cgi-bin/list.cgi?list=antennas

The dimensions are correct but the ferrule and bottom end looked a little different. Just needed a little extra force to get the ferrule in and the jobs done.

oh, mine is a 91 Galant. Not sure what you use, but that picture of your antenna is identical to mine and the replacement.

| | | IP: (203.221.162.92) | Report this post to a Moderator

Arty

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109562 posted 11/15/03 04:14 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Thanks for the tip.
I was thinking the same thing, Supercheap has those masts for $24.
Unfortunately for me the mast is ok, it's the motor drive that's worn. None of the common off the shelf motor drives I have seen, have the matching mounting points, electrical connections or mast tube length.

John.

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3618

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page