The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 bolt install/4ws removal, w/ pics

Telecaster

Here's how i did my 4 bolt install/4ws removal.
You can always go to the vfaq for more details:
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/4bolt.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My lines looked like this before. These are the high pressure lines and other 2 that join the rail in the middle are the low pressure.

First thing to do is remove the exhaust for more space. Then remove the 3 bolts holding the axles to the axle cups (14mm) and the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft and the diff (12mm). Use a rubber mallet to pop the axels and driveshaft loose.

Use a 27mm socket and breaker bar to take out the axle cup nut (circled yellow). Its on pretty tight so i used the parking break and sprayed lots of PB blaster to get it loose.

Remove the axel cup. I had to use a puller tool on one side because the mallet didn't work.

Drain the fluid from the bottom bolt and these bolts drop the diff, total of 7 (circled red). Remove the top to long ones last. One is left out of the pic on the left side of the diff:

The subframe will drop once the two rear bolts are removed. To remove the diff, slide it out and find a support to catch it because it'll be heavy. Also that gear shaft, the one sticking down in the previous pic, pops out when dropped. Might have to pry it to get it loose just before dropping.

Remove the hoses from the connections (circled red) and the 3 bolts mounting the pump to the sub frame (circled yellow):

Next is the bolts to the rear steering rack. 4 bolts hold the rack in place (one's circled on the left) and the tie rod nuts underneath on both sides of the rack (circled on the right):

If you want to test out the car without the 4ws, you can remove the nuts and pop out the tie rod at the end just like the pic. It should take no more than 10 min to do. The rack can be left in there to stabalize the arms as some people have done.

Now the fun part. Use a flare rench to disconnect the high pressure lines in the front. Follow the lines along the rail and disconnect the connections on the back, 17mm and 14mm. WATCH OUT! Lots of fluid is going to pour out. Fluid will come out from the front steering rack. When you undo the rear connection more will come out from the line in the front as well as the lines going to rear pump:

For the low pressure lines i used a hacksaw to cut the lines. Again watch out for more fluid. Undo the bolts that hold the rail supports and yank out the lines.

I just covered the high pressure lines to prevent more fluid from pouring out. The low pressure lines continue around the engine bay and can be removed.

I traced the lines going to the front rack and removed them (14mm flare fitting) and put a oil pan bolt with a copper washer in its place to seal it. You have to remove the plate to the right (5 bolts, 14 mm) and the right member to access it. (3 bolts, 17 mm in the front and 2 rear bolts, 14 mm).

The original lines can be removed and welded shut. Thats another way to seal the connection. Just be aware that there's a rubber o-ring there before you weld.

Place the 4 bolt diff back by sliding it in. I used my jack to lift and hold it in place. Start by tightening the 2 side bolts (72-87 ft. lbs). Then the 2 top ones (72-87 ft. lbs). Don't forget that the shorter one goes in the front. Now for the 2 rear bolts (58-72 ft. lbs), you have to raise the subframe again and feel for the bolt slots. I poured the diff fluid before i raised it. I used the jack again and the crossmember flexes back and forth so you might have to push it to make way for the diff.

Place the 4 bolt cups on and torque the inside nut down (116-159 ft.lbs). Pull the hand brake to help. Use a bit of wheel bearing grease inside also. Undo the hand brake and rotate the wheel so it axel cup bolts slots match up. Bolt that up on each side (40-47 ft. lbs) and reattach driveshaft. Its a rectangular shape for the 4 bolts (22-25 ft. lbs) on the driveshaft so you might need to rotate the diff to match it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Telecaster

Here's the finish:

All of the 4ws stuff removed:

The 3 differentials. Stock 3 bolt w/4ws in front, 4 bolt lsd in the middle, and 3 bolt lsd in the back:

All i can say is that it was the messiest job i ever did on the car. You'll learn to hate the lines in the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif" src="images/graemlins/mad.gif" /> . Big difference with the 4ws gone. The car feels a lot stable now during the turns. No more twitchy end during high-speed turns.

Thanks to Hertz for hosting images. Let me know if i left anything out,any suggestions, or corrections.
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

spoulson

Since not everyone has access to a welder, what are some alternatives to sealing the remaining lines? Why can't you remove them all completely?

DSSA

quote:Originally posted by Telecaster:
I traced the lines going to the front rack and removed them (14mm flare fitting) and put a oil pan bolt with a copper washer in its place to seal it. You have to remove the plate to the right (5 bolts, 14 mm) and the right member to access it. (3 bolts, 17 mm in the front and 2 rear bolts, 14 mm).

The original lines can be removed and welded shut. Thats another way to seal the connection. Just be aware that there's a rubber o-ring there before you weld.
^^^
idea.gif

You get double "Good Guy" points for that. Over the years, many, many newbies have asked how and now we have the definitive answer. THANKS!

PhilthMonger

the best way to remove the front rack lines without welding is just using an eclipse/talon steering rack. very clean and noone will ever know those damn lines were there.

atc250r

Staff member
You get 5 for that my friend! I am jealous of all you Cali guys, the underside of your cars are so clean and rust free it it almost pisses me off
mad.gif
. Thanks again, I plan to do this soon, I know my 3 bolt doesn't like 5000 rpm launches and 1.7 60 ft times at the track
grin.gif

John

Telecaster

quote:Originally posted by atc250r:
I am jealous of all you Cali guys, the underside of your cars are so clean and rust free
John
But you don't have to deal with our smog nazi's
mad.gif

spoulson

quote:Originally posted by spoulson:
Since not everyone has access to a welder, what are some alternatives to sealing the remaining lines? Why can't you remove them all completely? Thanks, DSSA. I was misreading it as some lines were removed and others were welded. I never liked the welding idea to begin with.

Thanks to Telecaster for the VFAQ!

I never knew there was a 3 bolt LSD ... That makes a LOT of sence now. I was told no such thing as a LSD 3 bolt and my 3 bolt has LSD.

Great info - very helpful....

releated question - where did you get your 4 bolt lsd, what are some good sources and what should I expect to pay for a good one? yours looks pretty new - I like that idea...(these questions are for anyone) Currently I have stock RWS

Telecaster

quote:Originally posted by SteveHebert:

releated question - where did you get your 4 bolt lsd, what are some good sources and what should I expect to pay for a good one? yours looks pretty new - I like that idea...(these questions are for anyone) Currently I have stock RWS
I got it from the local pick-n-pull for $80. You might find them once in a while here on the classified section. There's also dsmtrader and the classified section on dsmtuners. I've seen them go anywhere from $200-$450. It'll say "viscous lsd" and the rear diff ratio of 3.545.

did you have to buy a whole subframe and did the axles bolt up to the 4 lug hubs, I am just trying to understand this a little better before I try this. thanks chris

You know, I've driven a number of VR4's now.. five or six.. Everyone always talks about how the cars are scary or don't handle well with 4WS, I'm just not sure ... I've driveb two with 4WS removed, they handled ok, you know, not bad at all, but not great. The others that I have driven with 4WS (save 1, my green one) were not very good handling, twitchy in the corners, etc. Just like everyone describes. Now, my green car, 123k mi, everything 4WS related was replaced or refurb'd by a previous owner at about 110k. That car handles like none other. Yes, it handles like a sedan, but its like no other sedan I have ever driven. Crisp, nimble, responsive and utterly predictable. You should see how people's jaws drop when you go past driving up the street sideways. (I need to get video of that sometime, for you 4WS eliminating guys I pity you for having never experienced it). Up a paved road, 45-50mph, car mostly sideways, driving along looking out the passenger side window, back tires squealling because they just don't turn quite far enough. Here's what I really want to know, what goes wrong in the 4WS system that causes the cars not to handle well? My black car? Scary above 80.

I always tell people to disconnect the two rear rack tie rod ends and experience it for themselves. My car handled great with 4ws. It was definitely better balanced. I eliminated it because I'm more interested in dirt/gravel performance now and 4ws doesn't help with that. For real street driving, I loved 4ws.

Mark

spoulson

How about transplanting 4-bolt assembly in the stock 4WS rear? I've been told it's possible, but would you?

What needs to be refurb'd with the 4WS system to bring it back to life?

spoulson, that is the route I will be taking. I will do a complete writeup when it happens, but it is a ways off as yet. I have not even obtained a 4-bolt rear yet (but do have a few leads on them locally).

I too, would like to know what typical failures are in the 4WS system, what routine maintenance should be performed, etc. There don't seem to be many discussions to this effect. I fear I may have led this topic a bit astray now, though. My bad.
smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have considered this, but don't really need the 4-bolt. Since I reduced the toe in of the rear alignment, my 4WS seems to have much less dire effect on handling. I am basically running 0 toe in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts