The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MadBeachDSM's Summit White 145/2000

TurboTrader

I've been around the board for a while, and have been waiting until 145 is perfect to post up in the Member's Showcase, but as with any enthusiast, it takes years and years to reach that point and then some, so I will show what I have so far.

I purchased #145/2,000 back in January 2009 as well as 965 at the same time as a package deal. My hands were full with 145 so I sold it shortly after to Meklo here on the forum (actually met him from another forum I frequent).

When I first purchased 145 it was bone stock with the exception of the Walmart brand battery and flexible radiator hose used as a Hot-pipe to the FMIC piping.

l_091888de996c4c4fa49d4f9dad572c0c.jpg

l_4cba61cb5bc14e9889b460da4e458dc7.jpg

It didn't run great, but it didn't run bad either, it made the 1.5 hour trip from Orlando to home uneventfully, but handled like a brick and it was all I could do to keep it within the confines of my own lane on the highway. Much room for improvement to be had there.

7 days later I installed a set of 18" White Powdercoated wheels on Kuhmo AST 225 series tires, with more to come shortly. For lack of a better word, it looked ghetto with the stock ride height and 18's.

Picture020.jpg

The same night I installed the rims, we were pulled over for no reason, profiling. LOL.

A few days after that when the springs and shocks came in, she was JSB for the day.

ballin.jpg

And this was the result.

DSCN2508.jpg

Eibach Pro-Kit with 1-inch spacer in the rear later added on KYB GR-2's.

The next month after that went general maintenance. Coil packs, plugs, wires, replacing fried turbo and some other odds and ends, also installed a 1g SMIC in front of the radiator custom installed and fixed the hot pipe that was boost leaking a ton. The motor was rebuilt right before I purchased it top to bottom, .020 over pistons, head work, head gasket, timing belt, etc. I was told the clutch was around 50% and a lightweight flywheel was installed.

Around that time, the Alternator decided to go on the highway back from Orlando. The alternator went a second time shortly after. The culprit was finally found to be the positive cable at the starter shorting on the casing. Fixed, new OEM alternator in place and not a problem since.

Around that time, I installed an Infinity 12" sub, Infinity fronts and an Alpine Amp and head unit. While I was at it, I rewired the fuel pump with the 2 gauge wiring I ran to the rear for the sub/amp.

Once it was running great, I decided to take it to the local 1/8 mile track for some good stock numbers before I start modding.

0003.jpg

And a video.

click

My best was 9.84 1/8th with it breaking up a little at around 6,300RPM, best MPH was 72.31. The 14b was set with an MBC around 12 psi, and I later found out timing wasn't set right.

Shortly after a 2.5" DP back exhaust was installed, resonator in place of the cat into a Magnaflow muffler. It still sounds great!

Short of the emissions removal, several months went by with little work while it has been daily driver status until around December.

It started off with a new FMIC, custom routed and short routed.

100_5629.jpg

The hot side remains as is, although I plan to change it up a bit soon.

The bumper support is unmodified and fits nicely in front of the FMIC. I may cut some extra out for better flow through the core, but for now I am all about the sleeper look.

100_5631.jpg

100_5659.jpg

100_5660.jpg

100_5618.jpg

Of course, as can be seen above, short-routing the cold pipes called for a Honda style half radiator. Even in Florida I have yet to see temps over 195 and it cools nicely. The position of the radiator called for a 2g style upper radiator hose, the S curve helped it to line up right. The lower hose was trimmed a bit. At the time, I also constructed a 3" cold air intake from the stock MAF to turbo. The MAF occupies the space the battery would be, I relocated it to the lower cross member behind the tranny.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

It's a smaller Die-hard battery and fits well. I custom constructed the tray with Aluminum Angle Iron, secured to the cross-member. Not seen is the j-hook on the pass. side and the threaded rod on the opposite side through the cross-member for the tie-down. I opted to not re-locate it to the trunk for the sake of extra expense to comply with NHRA rules, and it is still nicely out of the way.

A couple weekends after that I decided to tackle the leaky 4ws line from the rack and eliminated the 4ws in the process by using a 1g DSM rack. I removed all lines back to above the rear dif. A 4-bolt rear will come soon.

IMG_0228.jpg

While I had the transfer case out for the rack swap, I decided to perform the recall maintenance on the transfer case that was supposedly already done before. There was about half the fluid there should have been and signs of leakage, so I installed a new output seal and used JBWeld around the outside of the driveshaft yoke. 400 miles later and so far no signs of leakage.

IMG_0242.jpg

Near future plans, I have most of the parts so far, include a Small 16g ported, 3" Turbo-back with 2 Magnaflow resonators and muffler, ABS Delete, Walbro 190, 650cc injectors, Evo 8 #482 MAF, new HD Clutch and PP.

After that, it should be pretty potent.

Recent pics.

4354190199_799b621e85_o.jpg

SEDSMMeet2010003.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

100_5646.jpg

100_5649.jpg

100_5642.jpg

100_5651.jpg

100_5660.jpg

And some of my favorites from last year.

Untitled-1.jpg

l_c2694baf1e8b42558777c5a929006fcc.jpg

galant.jpg

l_cf195d6f65eb412a9b5825c8bb39a65c.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts