nrvous
(One Member)
01/23/12 11:31 PM
Piston Melting in the 4B11

Oh, and by the way, Tim blew up the engine in October. So, we are really starting off the season without a motor. It is going to be THAT kind of adventure.

Melting Piston Announcement

Stephen

curtis
(Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic)
01/23/12 11:44 PM
Re: Piston Melting in the 4B11

Looks like Tim has a new pendant to wear on the 2012 trek

Holy crap what happened. That's some serious heat to melt that much metal. OK lets see the other 3 Maybe a lean condition and could be something in the wiring harness and maybe number one injector isn't firing correctly. I would want to know the cause before I risked even starting the new engine.

Oh one more thing is this on E85 or normal 93 pump juice?

Terry Posten
(Old Balls)
01/23/12 11:44 PM

Looks like you need to go back to the GVR4

gramkrakr89
(Now with Jelly next week is roasted marshmallows and hershey bars)
01/24/12 12:39 AM

That'll buff out...

nrvous
(One Member)
01/24/12 06:44 AM

Quoting curtis:

Looks like Tim has a new pendant to wear on the 2012 trek

Holy crap what happened. That's some serious heat to melt that much metal. OK lets see the other 3 Maybe a lean condition and could be something in the wiring harness and maybe number one injector isn't firing correctly. I would want to know the cause before I risked even starting the new engine.

Oh one more thing is this on E85 or normal 93 pump juice?

The other 3 are damage free and it was on 93 octane.
Sadly the car needed to be retuned, and I openly admit I do not know enough to comfortably make the changes any more. I am alright leveraging one table against another, but as soon as the dual mivec entered the equation, my brain lost the concept of what effects what.

I do have to get the video from Sean. He was on the track at the same time and Tim went past him around turn 10. You could tell the car was running lean and something was off.

Stephen

Alpha Male
(I'm an idiot...)
01/25/12 09:13 AM

Quoting Terry Posten:

Looks like you need to go back to the GVR4

THIS

That's a Timmy spec piston! nothing to worry about.

AnotherNewb
(flutterdumper)
01/28/12 03:40 PM

Quoting onelap.rochesterdsm.org:

It obviously isn’t our style to be ready to race without some drama. The second problem is that it just wouldn’t be fair to everybody else for us to be so prepared.

Seems like we can expect you to catastrophicly melt something once a year, I know its only January but I wonder what 2012 will bring.

nrvous
(One Member)
01/28/12 03:54 PM

Quoting AnotherNewb:

Seems like we can expect you to catastrophicly melt something once a year, I know its only January but I wonder what 2012 will bring.

I believe the Galant VR-4 is like Herbie and it is sabotaging the Evo X, because it survived 2 years without burning.

I am going for a melt free 2012 and trying to contain all of that to 2011.

Stephen

4thStroke
(Spence knows tools)
01/30/12 02:21 AM

How did the head look?

nrvous
(One Member)
01/30/12 05:29 AM

The head visually looks fine. I couldn't tell if anything went through the valve seat, but I did not disassemble the valves.

nrvous
(One Member)
02/13/12 07:42 PM

Well we sort of new we would get new pistons of some fashion. We are getting the new Magnus piston for the car, which he finally just put into his storefront for the rest of the world to buy. Hearing about the design work he does to get the dishing profile just right gives me a better appreciate for what goes into these things.

click

Stephen

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page