faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/12/15 07:20 PM
My Galant GSX build

So I have been on here for a couple years now and have yet to post many of my car. Basically when my buddy SSGdave went on deployment in 2009-2010 he gave me his 1990 Galant GSX that had been sitting for years. My mechanical skills are a bit lacking so I'm learning a lot from this car.

Motor has been out. So i started getting parts.
This is the day we had the car towed to the dealership my buddy worked at.

After some time he moved to a different dealership so it went with him. Here is a pic right before work started on it.

Whiteline rear sway bar (bobdole) in with agx and not sure what springs.

Old engine from his vr4 with new seals and a new Evo 3 16g from FP with Evo 3 O2 housing.

Using the GSX transmission

Engine and transmission are in! Ecu from DSMchips chipped for Evo 3 16g, Evo 8 injectors, and Evo 8 mas (can't remember the others)

Ended up picking up 5 lug setup with fwd spindles and upgraded to vr4 dual piston calipers with dbs slotted rotors from JSchleim18's part out. Oh and changed my mind on suspension and got some BC coilovers (thanks bobdole!) Bearings and seals replaced.

Driver side fender was trashed, so got a replacement at junk yard

I got a set of BBS Evo wheels for cheap for my IX so the galant got the enkei wheels. And a wingless trunk waiting to go on.

Tax refund time 2013! I bought some JDM bumpers and a set of Curtis brackets!

Well my buddy is deploying again so the car has to leave the dealership and I can't keep it at my apartment so had the car moved to his apartment then to his friend's shop. Galant is not running yet. Oh that's my Evo in the background.

92_talon_awd
(Member +)
08/12/15 08:15 PM
Re: My Galant GSX build

Good progress man, look forward to seeing where it goes.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/12/15 09:10 PM

Thanks working on the timeline

G
(JDM Unit)
08/12/15 09:24 PM

Looks great man.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/12/15 09:37 PM

Thanks G!
Here is a lil more

During this time got a spare engine and attempted to rebuild it in a engine rebuilding class

Painted and baked the block but thinking I should have done a different color!

Polished the crank

So went with parts from Dale bogusSVO like stainless valves, NPR pistons 0.020 over, arp studs, BC springs, viton valve stem seals, new rod and main bearings can't remember the brand, and can't remember the others parts but also got tons from JNZ

So I didn't get any pics of the bottom end cause I broke a total of 3 rings. 2 in cylinder 2 and 1 in cylinder 3. I think it was shitty tools I should have bought my own. But here is a pic of I believe to be cylinder 2. So this engine is on the back burner for now till I figure out what I will do with it.

Well able to have the car towed to my parents house.

Changed grills
Threw on the Depo Amber corners. Used the 3 wire bulb socket from a Hyundai. So no super fast blinker.

Got a CMPE 3in turbo back

Got a Momo steering wheel and ken wood radio as a gift. Also installed JNZ short shifter.

Installed 89 underdash and glove box but no pics.

Started working to get the galant started and it would only crank. So took a peek at the fuel pump and here it is.

So emptied the tank and dropped it off at a radiator shop to get acid dip, cleaned out and recoated.

Got the tank back after a couple weeks.

Painted the tank with a couple cans of epoxy paint

New filler hose and cleaned the fuel hanger then put on a walbro 255 form JNZ.

Then pulled all the control arms. Had new bushings and balljoints pressed in. And painted the control arms with epoxy paint.

tektic
(Senior Member)
08/12/15 09:55 PM

She's a lot cleaner than mine. Good luck.

Seems like a lot of stuff to buy for a car that doesn't run though.

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
08/12/15 11:01 PM

Nice going Richard Good stuff.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/12/15 11:15 PM

Thanks Tektic. She is up and running now all these pics have been in the course of the past four years!

Thanks David! A lot of looking to see what I like from other builds.

tektic
(Senior Member)
08/13/15 07:43 AM

How is that trans holding power? I've heard they have great gearing but are weak in general.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/13/15 09:51 AM

The transmission feels great! But nervous about it going out on me. The transmission was supposedly rebuilt two owners ago then the timing belt snapped so the car sat from then till recently. Has a act 2600 I believe. Have to get a 90 Dsm transmission rebuilt and buy a set of front axels.

G
(JDM Unit)
08/13/15 12:15 PM

That trans should be fine (with your mods) as long as you don't do any hole shots. Especially with the added weight of those tires.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/13/15 12:59 PM

Yeah no hole shots planned anytime soon!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/13/15 01:03 PM

While the front control arms were out I pulled the steering rack that was junk and tried to put in a new steering rack I had. But could not so the car sat for a couple months while I attempted multiple time to put in the rack. So in that time my Evo had the front seats stolen and vandalized, so I pulled the BBS with new tires off the Evo and they are now on the galant.

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
08/13/15 06:40 PM

Nice progress! Good to hear that she is running now!

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/13/15 10:51 PM

Great work on this build. Trail and error is the best way to learn

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
08/14/15 05:27 PM

Trail and error?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/14/15 05:32 PM

Yeah, like trying to do things multiple times before you get it right.

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
08/14/15 07:15 PM

don't you mean trial and error?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
08/14/15 10:00 PM

Yeah...Emphasis on the error.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/15/15 03:54 PM

Thanks Brett! yeah trial and error seems like the way I've been learning on this!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/19/15 05:54 PM

Thanks Martin! Good seeing you last night!

I forgot I had the windshield replaced a couple weeks ago also. Removed the wiper arms also because the splines stripped. So I've to figure out how to remove the wiper linkage with out breaking the two black vents.

Trimmed two plastic pieces off the knock sensor and now runs amazing! Also got the bumper clip in to hold the side of the bumper on great!

idreamidrive
(Member +)
08/20/15 11:51 AM

Any plans for paint? Also, what did you do with the old front bumper? I am looking for one since I just got hit at Costco a couple of weeks ago and it cracked the fog light area.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/20/15 12:21 PM

Thinking about painting maybe next year. Have to make sure I have replacement parts for the trim and such just in case. Man that sucks! An accident is my fear! Especially with the bumpers! The bumper was thrown away but it was GSX bumper. If any bumper works there is a blue base model at pyp and a white and blue ones at ecology.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
09/08/15 05:14 PM

Yes got the GSX registered and license plates! Then drove it around the block legally!!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
10/21/15 03:48 PM

So got a couple things. My new plates!

And bought a 68hta

Sent transmission and rear diff to TRE for rebuild

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
10/21/15 04:20 PM

sweet!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
10/21/15 04:43 PM

Thanks!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
10/26/15 11:29 PM

Bought a new set of 4 bolt axle cups from Jnz

Went to junk yard and got an extra set of seat belt buckles for some evo seat. Will be getting rear diff that was rebuilt back from TRE on Friday! Have a bunch of things I want to get done on the galant.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
10/29/15 05:50 PM

Just got rebuilt 4 bolt rear diff back from TRE

Looks awesome!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/10/15 05:27 PM

And got my rebuilt transmission back from TRE today

Jon has been in contact throughout the whole build but usually him calling me. So basically it his stage 2 build with Evo 3 1st, double 2nd, 3rd and 4th from 93-99 (Jon recommended just in case for higher rpm shifting) and 4 spider center diff.
I sent the transmission on 10/14 and it arrived 11/9 but I arranged to have it held at FedEx till I was off work. not sure when it will go in but still have parts to buy.

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
11/10/15 07:42 PM

A buddy of mine used TRE for a rebuild/upgrade to his Evo VIII trans. Best shifting Mitsu trans i've ever experienced. He was a good friend of mine and let me drive that car since the day he bought it new off the lot in 03. I can say that the TRE trans felt even better. I hope to do the same eventually, but have been kind of on the fence because it seemed like a bunch of people had experienced slow turn around and difficult communication.

Glad to hear you've had a good experience thus far, and that turn around time is awesome!

Chadwich
(Renewbie)
11/10/15 09:15 PM

TRE is the best, I love that place.
Looks really clean!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/11/15 12:08 AM

That sounds awesome! I have read that others love TRE's work. Can't wait to get it in with the rear diff and broken in. Will have to research if I can use my front axles or if I have to get 1g dsm's and if the GSX transfer case also work.
After talking to him multiple times on the phone prior to work starting I was happy with Jon wanting to build this transmission for my specific build and deires for the car. One thing is you can't get him by phone cause his messages are always full

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
11/11/15 08:06 AM

There are a lot of nice parts here. I'm excited to see them all come together in your build. It's crazy to see what this car started as, and where it's at now. Keep up the great work!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/11/15 10:09 AM

Thanks Brett! I've been following all of your builds along with many others for inspiration and guidance!

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
11/11/15 12:49 PM

Lots of new goodies!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/11/15 03:53 PM

Yup! Hoping to be able to buy more but will see.

G
(JDM Unit)
11/11/15 04:21 PM

Nice, how much was the tre bill?

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/11/15 05:33 PM

$2244 shipped plus price to ship trans to him

4Grim
(I deliver.)
11/12/15 01:57 PM

Excellent build sir...definitely quality work and parts going into this Galant.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/12/15 07:47 PM

Thanks 4grim!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/18/15 06:19 PM

Ok had an ETS kit sitting for a couple months so decided to throw it on.
J pipe section

Intake side

And the intercooler

Thanks to Pot for getting me shorter bolt for the throttle body and working with me on getting shorter ones. Amazing seller!!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
11/19/15 02:55 PM

Well put the bumper on for the moment have to work on the bracket for the bumper it doesn't like the the intercooler!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
01/29/16 07:31 PM

So here is little update, I have only driven the galant a couple times in the past month. Still runs great! But I have it sitting in my parents garage for the time being.
For Christmas got some Amazon gift cards and bought this

Got a decent deal on a set of eagle rods

Bought a set of FIC 1150cc injectors

Oil pan was pretty beat up so got a spectra oil pan

Decided to spend a little bit of money so got a full Oem engine gasket kit, Oem timing kit with gates water pump, arp head studs, oil pan bolt kit, valve cover bolt kit, some other Oem hardware, rear main seal with separator, acl bearings, and wiseco hd pistons from JNZ. Then got a bare 6 bolt block.
Still have a handful of things I need/want to buy: like Jay's active rear toe eliminator, more Oem parts, maybe some cams (I have a set of BC 272s but not sure if I'll use them), act clutch, and few other things.

Also have to install 3kgt calipers, pads, and rotors with the master cylinder.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
01/29/16 08:37 PM

Great progress, man. This build is really going to come together with that nice pile of parts!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
01/30/16 11:05 AM

Thank you Brett!

So I also got a ffwd ffofh so will see if I use this

Also just bought a set of aem cam gears and a ACT flywheel so should have those soon

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/06/16 12:13 AM

So did a little work on the galant today:
Installed the 1g 3kgt calipers from rockauto using tunersnation brackets and 2g 3kgt stoptech rotors. I have another set that need to be rebuilt but they were painted black which probably put up for sale if I can find the rebuild kit with replacement pistons. I think I like these unpainted a little better. Will have to replace brake line as one part cracked while trying to unscrew from the old calipers. I'll see if I get another set.

Then the 3g master cylinder went in. Followed the set up for Brett (GSTwithPSI) thanks for the idea!

Will bleed the brake either Monday or Wednesday.

Got the Jay's rear toe eliminator in. Will have them welded onto a spare set of trailing arms that I will clean up and then paint.

Got in a set of AEM cam gears also

Have to go to my brothers and pick up a set of Evo 560cc injectors and Evo 9 bov. Still more parts coming in tomorrow.

tektic
(Senior Member)
02/06/16 09:05 AM

Aem Cam gears have come a long way since mine came out. Those are very nice.
I like the clean metal look of the brakes too, but you best put a clear coat on those calipers before they turn brown.

Edit: do the brackets too.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/06/16 09:20 AM

Oh I didn't think of that! Will get some clear coat! Thanks for the input!

idreamidrive
(Member +)
02/07/16 04:04 PM

Why the evo injectors if you have the fic injectors?

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/07/16 04:10 PM

I have the fic for when I put in the 68hta and waiting to be cleaned and the Evo are free and I have a dsmchip EPROM that is programmed to them

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
02/07/16 06:25 PM

Will that be your final tuning solution, or is ECMlink in the cards?

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/07/16 06:56 PM

I have ecmlink but will use it once I have the new turbo and drivetrain in.

idreamidrive
(Member +)
02/08/16 08:40 PM

Why not now to make your life easier?

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/08/16 09:45 PM

Not going to lie, I have no idea how to use ecmlink. And my laptop can't hold a charge without being plugged in. I will look for a new battery.

idreamidrive
(Member +)
02/09/16 12:42 PM

There is a link on ecmlink forum about a $100 windows tablet that would work.

Perfect time to learn. That is what the community is here for. I know little about it also, but learning as I go. I haven't fried anything yet.

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
02/09/16 12:56 PM

I use a Windows 8.1 netbook I picked up at a pawnshop for $75. Only 2gb RAM and a SLOW 120mb hard drive, but it is just for DSMLink, and works great. I upgraded it to Windows 10, it works better there, DSMLink has no issues.

With the info you get on here and ECMLink's wiki/forums, you will be fine with it.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/29/16 05:13 PM

So recently bought a laptop to cause my old one was super slow and folders would not open.
3kgt brakes and 8g brake master cylinder have added a good amount of bite.
Had a problem with battery draining after install of innovate lc2 wideband with auto timer. So ended up disconnecting it. Will have to dive into the wiring when I have a chance.
SSGdave gave me a spare rear subframe he had so will remove the bushings and either sand blast it or wire wheel it. Afterwards I will repaint it and put it away till I find some rear subframe bushings without the mustache bushings. Emailed boostx and I am waiting to hear back. Then I will clean up and repaint the trailing arms I have and install the Jays rear toe eliminators with new hubs and bearings.

Bought a few more parts
Got a ACT flywheel from street surgeon. FedEx sent to the wrong address. And Cory did an amazing job fixing the mix up!

Then got arp crank and cam bolts and Aeromotive fuel rail from street surgeon.

Found a new ACT 6 puck sprung
I will be on the look out for a ACT 2600 pressure plate

faqinshiet
(Member +)
04/02/16 10:24 PM

Well ordered a couple more parts!
Got a sd bundle from ecmlink

And then got a fuel lab fuel filter with lines

And got a hold of Jon (boostx) and got a set of rear subframe bushings

Here is the rear subframe I will be working on

Today, I was watching the demo videos on ecmlink and started to play around. I have been getting some knock on acceleration so trying to figure this out. I ended up just putting the evo 9 injectors in a couple weeks ago cause SSGdave needed the 510cc injectors I had and the dsmchip I had. So will continue to try to research and understand ecmlink.

Oh and decided to just order a new oem oil pump and various parts from Jnz. Josh called the next day to talk about the parts! Caught me by surprise especially cause he called 6:30pm pst. I must say he is an awesome guy! So those parts should be here in a couple days.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
05/12/16 02:19 PM

So this week I had an injector squirt fuel out the top seals on the 1150cc injectors so replaced all the seals then took for a spin around the block. The car didn't feel like it was getting into boost so searched for loose couplers and couldn't find any. So drove the galant to my parents house to look in their garage. I ended up seeing that the cotter pin for the wastegate actuator was gone and the actuator was disconnected. So spent a couple hours fixing that and now it pulls appropriately.

Some parts have come in!

For the rebuilt block I ended up ordering a new oil pump with gears.
Along with this order got various hardware, new dipstick and tube, and a few other parts for the engine rebuild.

Got a 3 piece crossmember from true street fab

And a set of euro ambers from Ahmad. Hopefully they sit in place better than the depot ones that are on the car now.

Since I got a rebuilt transmission and rear diff, decided on ordering a rebuilt transfer case from tmz.

Got a turbosmart bov because it was a bolt on flange and its black

Waiting on a new clutch pedal assembly/rebuild kit on the way.
She should be able to make it to MOD as it is right now. Not sure when all a majority of parts will go in. Anticipating a move to Virginia in the near future. Awesome thing is we will be super close to JNZ!

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
05/13/16 10:26 PM

Quoting faqinshiet:

Anticipating a move to Virginia in the near future.

The build is looking great, dude. Where in VA you gonna be?

faqinshiet
(Member +)
05/13/16 10:30 PM

Thanks Brett!
Will be in Arlington. I don't know the area at all. My girlfriend is from Va and wants to be closer to family.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
05/16/16 07:38 PM

Nice! That's about an hour from me. When do you plan to make the move?

faqinshiet
(Member +)
05/16/16 09:21 PM

Well we don't have a date at the moment but my girlfriend wants to be there before August. I'll have to search for some place to store the car and parts. Oh and jobs for us.
If we are in Virginia by August I have a room at Shoot out just in case we are out there.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/01/16 07:24 PM

So in preparation to our move to Va I had to organize all the parts in my parents garage. Here are some of the boxes. Wish I could have spent more time organizing the boxes better but will have to do till I can afford to ship and store the car and parts out. This is about have of what I have collected.

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
08/02/16 10:38 AM

Nice updates with a lot of new goodies! The cotter pin had backed out of my WG on my Evo 3 16g as well. Haha. That is why I just ended up swapping the turbo before mod. I took it as a sign.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/02/16 02:48 PM

Yes almost too many parts! Yeah I probably could have thrown on the 68hta but got lazy.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/03/17 07:10 PM

Well I have been driving the galant for the past week and she has done amazing!! She has some idle surge but runs like a champ! She is now tuck away in my parents garage till I can get enough to ship all parts and the car. Here are some pics

faqinshiet
(Member +)
02/04/17 10:39 AM

Oh and I forgot I bought these during Black Friday. New lifters, clutch line, Waldrop 450 with install kit, bronze guides and +1mm valves.

And I also bought a cylinder head from one of the guys on here.

speedysurfer
(Newbie)
03/08/17 07:09 AM

Can't wait to see how everything turns out.

(Member)
03/10/17 06:13 AM

Nice...... Love It

faqinshiet
(Member +)
03/10/17 12:29 PM

Thanks guys! I miss the car! Its been a project for sure! Hopefully I can figure out someplace to store everything here soon.

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
03/10/17 12:31 PM

Maybe i can find a place to store it

faqinshiet
(Member +)
03/10/17 01:12 PM

Haha...you have too many cars! It is safely tucked away at my parents but I want it on this side of the USA!

Side note I traded my Xterra for a 2010 forester XT. I got super great deal on wrx suspension, 20mm rear sway bar, and sit cat back (all for $450). And I'm trying to get a set of 2011 wrx wheels but seller and I have conflicting schedules. Hopefully I can get them this weekend. Here is one of the pics I have of my xt

faqinshiet
(Member +)
05/22/17 08:23 PM

Oh forgot to post this from last year MOD that my friend saw

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
05/22/17 08:34 PM

Nice!

Sucks, I'm going to miss both MOD events this year. I'll be in Maryland for West Coast MOD, and in Cali for East Coast MOD. FML.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
05/23/17 08:22 AM

Oh man that does suck! But you'll have the amazing weather once out there.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
07/18/17 02:16 PM

So drove the galant to LA for west coast mod but had to park in the over flow cause the let the evos everywhere. But once home noticed grinding tot the drive side front wheel/brakes so had to park the car at my parents again. Didn't get a chance to pull wheel and look around cause we had to fly out in a couple hours so put it on jackstands and covered. Ordered an extra caliper and bearings for the next trip out.

Well my thread went to crap since uploads not working so will have to work through and upload the pics.

voltroy03
(Newbie)
07/19/17 11:34 PM

I would like to see the pics for reference but I think there's a problem with Photobucket or something.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
07/27/17 06:50 PM

Removed photobucket pictures and replaced. Ordered front hub, bearings, and spare calipers just in case.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
09/19/17 04:05 PM

Well I flew out to San Diego the past week and got to fix the galant. The last visit a caliper bolt backed out. So I replaced the caliper, bleed the brakes, and then changed oil. Drove it a little bit. Yesterday put it on jack stands and put car cover back on till next time. Can wait to see it again soon I hope.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
04/04/18 08:24 PM

Got back from San Diego and was able to drive my galant a couple times during my visit. Was awesome to drive it again! As seen in Brettís thread, got to meet Brett and David at Qualcomm races too bad it took 45 mins to get in. Canít wait for July for another visit would be amazing if west coast MOD were happening then. But the galant is stowed away for the next few months. Will have to start looking for storage for the galant and for the many boxes of parts!

faqinshiet
(Member +)
05/25/18 08:09 PM

Well bought a couple things recently: powder coated valve cover with an fittings, pushlok fittings with hose, two new 1g hubs, caliper brackets. I will do my best to make mod again this year but Iíll be coming from my buddyís wedding.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page