highrpm666
(Member)
03/10/14 09:36 AM
New owner- ?/1k Summit white from Colorado aka 677/1k

Hello. My name is Kirk, I am 29 and a mechanic 50+ hours a week. I am the very happy new owner of a 92 summit white vr4 with a sunroof. ?/1000. Unfortunately the badge has been removed and the keyfob is long gone. The car is running on a JDM swapped engine and the jdm cyclone manifold has been removed in favor of a usdm vr4/1g piece. Chassis has 177k engine has roughly 100k. I picked up the car last night and had to tow it from Loveland Co to Denver due to a possible bad tranny or clutch issue. Its in decent shape for its age and I am very excited to start digging in to her. The exterior is in good condition minus the peeling clear coat, windshield weather stipping and cracked tail lens. Interior is in need of some serious cleaning. Although the seats look great, steering wheel is haggard, carpets a bit gross and I think there is some petrified Wendy's frosty on the passenger door panel and carpet. Everything but the cruise control, drivers shoulder belt and ac work. It has the original head unit and eq in good working condition. Its completely stock from the air box to the original exhaust except for the swapped long block/2g exh-manifold/B16g. I plan to restore this piece of history to its original glory and then some. I'm going to attempt to post some pics shortly.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/10/14 09:40 AM
Re: New owner- ?/1000 Summit white from Colorado

snailspool
(Member)
03/10/14 10:42 AM

Congrats on the find! Craigslist?

2000GTX
(Member)
03/10/14 05:59 PM

Welcome aboard.

If you even end up looking for some windshield trim, I maybe be able to help out with some of the corner pieces.

Let me know when the time comes, as I'm sure there are more important things to take care of on her now.

gvr4144
(Member)
03/10/14 10:25 PM

Nice bro did you buy this car from an old lady? There a white one in town an old lady drives...

highrpm666
(Member)
03/10/14 10:39 PM

Did a thorough inspection and cleaning to the car today. Found a few issues, ball joints and tie rods are in need of replacement. Timing belt is very aged and cracked. Found my manifold leak to be a stud broken off in the head(un-fixable, 2 broken drill bits in it). Valve cover and oil pan gaskets leaking a bit. Fixed a misfire with a new set of plugs wires also. As I had stated in my original post I had purchased the car with what the previous owner was told was a trans in need of a rebuild. I have driven the car and it seems to be a clutch issue. I inspected the master and slave cylinders and they are in good working condition and the slave extends fully so I assuming the adjustment is correct. It will not go into gear running but if you start the vehicle in gear you can drive it just fine an dandy if your careful without the clutch. Looks like I'm pulling the engine and trans to fix the clutch, install the new timing belt and detail the engine bay etc. Here is a bunch of pics from today after getting her somewhat cleaned up.

TurboTurtle
(Junior Member)
03/12/14 03:36 AM

Just want to get it out of the way that nothing was swapped.
USDM VR4s never came with a cyclone manifold. Your car is just 100% stock lol

Love the SW! Wish i could find one

highrpm666
(Member)
03/12/14 07:22 AM

From what I was told about the vehicle it was purchased in 2008 by the po with a spun bearing. He sourced a jdm longblock with the intake manifold and matching turbo and injectors. It supposedly has a b16g and an act 2600. I was told the cyclone manifold was removed basically because whoever was working on it couldn't get it to function properly. We will see when I tear it apart as I cannot read anything on the turbo except tdo5h. Everything was installed by SCR performance in loveland also. The engine does have wierd yellow paint marker numbers on it, like the jdm engines usually do. As of now its a mystery.

Gmoney1983
(Junior Member)
03/14/14 10:03 PM

So clean. Miss mine so bad. Gotta get another one someday. Bring that thing out here when you get her running tiptop. So I can drive it. Good find, I'm sure you'll have it all soryed out in no time. I'm thinking a few highway runs once I get the ss done.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/17/14 08:00 PM

Did some more inspecting of the car today and found my pivot ball/fork assembly is worn out like I suspected. The fork rests just to the passenger side of the access window. And while inspecting the clutch I found I have about .40mm of end play on my crankshaft. It cannot be moved by hand and makes no noises at all. Only way it will move is by pressing the clutch in with the car off. Engine running it doesn't seem to move at all. I am a 4g63 noob and I am not sure if this is bad yet or not. I am having clutch disengagement issues but my fork is hitting the trans case when pressed. Not sure if the crankwalk is adding to the mix as it doesn't seem to move when running. I am to understand that I am just above the acceptable amount of end play. How long do these engines usually last with this kind of crankshaft end play? Also I was able to verify that I do indeed have a big 16g, the only thing that made me smile today.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/18/14 09:10 AM

Measured the crank end play this morning with a better dial indicator. Got .0035" this time. Much less than my previous measurement. Still has me concerned though.

nemovr4
(Member)
03/18/14 06:14 PM

Ya!! My next one is gonna be Summit White...

Glad to see another around Denver!!

biglady112
(or what)
03/19/14 05:53 PM

The spec by the book is .002-.007. You are right in the middle. Looks good to me. I'd run it.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/19/14 07:42 PM

I am just resealing the engine and running it since I'm within spec. And to answer the other questions asked, yes I did get the car off of craigslist. I posted a wanted ad and within a month I had 4 different people contact me. I chose this one mostly because it fit my budget, it was clean/rust free and I love the sw 92's. It wasn't an old lady lol. It was a very cool guy in his mid 20's. And about the windshield trim pieces, I am interested but, my shop has a glass guy who is confident he can get me new trim with my new windshield. We will see. If any of you Colorado guys want to come see the car and chat(I could use some more mitsu knowledge) lemme know! I'm a suby guy and I'm not sure where to start upgrading once she is reliable.

Also does anyone know of an injector identification chart or something of the sorts? I'm confused as to what injectors I actually have. All I know is they are blue and possibly the 450cc? stockers.

biglady112
(or what)
03/20/14 07:05 PM

You could always swing by the house and I could give the car a once over.

MRmeeTooxD
(Member)
03/22/14 06:29 AM

put a blade through that old steering wheel an you would be able to use inner rubber steering wheel.. 365/1000

NDVR4
(Junior Member)
03/22/14 08:22 PM

MRmeetooxD, are you saying it is possible to recover the original steering wheel with a different leather?

highrpm666
(Member)
03/22/14 08:38 PM

My wheels center cover is also ruined, its badly warped. I attempted to bend it back and get it looking right the other day and it worked well other than when I turned the ignition on later the horn button was making constant contact! Quite a surprise. If I could re wrap the wheel and replace the cover I may just keep it. I was planning an aftermarket wheel/hub though.

jcrimboli
(Junior Member)
03/27/14 06:20 PM

Great find! 1220 is summit white and suffers from the same clear coat issue as yours. Looks like you got your hands on a keeper. Good luck with the maintenance stuff, the reliable go-fast stuff seems to be in order sooner than later.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/03/14 08:15 PM

Finally, some of my parts arrived today .
New oem pivot ball and fork
New oem throw out and clip
Gates timing belt kit
New hyd tensioner
Turbo flange and manifold gaskets
Jnz tensioner arm tool and belt tension tool.

Still waiting on my water pump, cam seals, oil pan/valve cover gaskets and crush washers for my turbo lines. Wheel bearings, balljoints, and outer tie rods.

Still unsure if I need a clutch. I was able to verify that I do indeed have atleast an act pp installed. Its bright yellow. Im considering a spec stage 1 on an oem flywheel if my act needs replaced. I will know by monday as I plan to take her all apart sunday/monday. Wish me luck!

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
04/03/14 08:18 PM

that's a lotta stuff, you'll feel pretty good once you get all that thrown on.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/03/14 08:37 PM

I'll feel good when I can start the car in neutral, press the clutch and actually put it in first gear . I fear that the p/o may have driven the car too much with the clutch dragging and toasted my synchro's . Should have a good idea of the damage when I drain it. I have already contacted Jack's transmissions to discuss my options in the worst case scenario.

G
(JDM Unit)
04/03/14 09:14 PM

Looks like a vr4 rs b16g.

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
04/05/14 09:20 AM

Quoting highrpm666:

.... oil pan/valve cover gaskets and crush washers for my turbo lines.....

Do not use a gasket on the oil pan. Use a good quality grey RTV.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/06/14 04:02 PM

Thank you, I was unaware of that . I have plenty of good rtv to use.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/07/14 10:04 PM

I was finally able to tear the car apart today. I removed the transmission and found my clutch and tob to be in bad shape. The fingers on the pressure plate are worn and uneven. Throwout bearing was complete trash and I don't understand why it wasn't making any noise. Disk was worn and a bit glazed. Flywheel looks to be ok-ish and I'm having it machined in the morning. I should have the clutch issues completely resolved upon reassembly.

Ran into a few snags.. I spent about an hour per side just removing the upper eccentric on the lower struts. Never struggled with them like this and I have removed more than I could ever count. It was bs. Found my one of my two trans mount bracket bolts to be cross threaded badly, will need to be re threaded. One of my lower transfer case bolts is helicoiled poorly. My reverse switch was not plugged in due to a damaged socket, it will need replaced to plug it in. My brake master cylinder is leaking, didn't even notice it till I was removing my ac compressor and lines. Also I found a hand full of bolts that don't belong to this car being used in random locations. And it looks like my water pipe on the front of the block leaks ever so slightly where the pipe goes into the water pump housing. It seeps slowly down and ends up hanging a drip off of the oil cooler/filter adapter, it makes it look like the oil cooler is leaking lightly and kinda freaked me out. In the month or so the car has been parked in the same bay in my shop and hasn't dripped any fluids at all amazingly.

I spent 10 solid hours on it today and made some good progress. Got the engine bay much cleaner on the pass side and firewall also. Just a few more weeks and I'll have it back running like a champ. Here are some pics I snapped while working on it today including before and after cleaning the tranny and one of it from Saturday with a 55 bel air that actually caught on fire in the shop later that day.

G
(JDM Unit)
04/07/14 10:36 PM

Sounds like a hot mess. Hope you got a good deal on it.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
04/07/14 10:37 PM

good to get some progress in!

highrpm666
(Member)
04/07/14 11:04 PM

Quoting G:

Sounds like a hot mess. Hope you got a good deal on it.

Hot mess... Yes sir. Good deal... Well she sure looks nice

And yes it is good to get some progress in. Feels nice. I've had a whole lot of inspiration from the-underdog aka Turbo Tom . Infact I've almost followed his videos step by step it seems like. Including but not limited to polishing my exhaust tips and cleaning every lil nook and cranny etc!

highrpm666
(Member)
04/08/14 10:13 PM

Well I had to cheap out on my clutch do to insufficient funds. Got and exedy pro-kit OE replacement pressure plate and disk. Had the flywheel cut and stepped to .609 exactly by Clutch Dr. I don't plan on putting down any more than 240whp/tq anytime soon so this should be adequate for the time being. Clutch was delivered to my shop and flywheel was machined in the back of the clutch Dr truck on site. Cost me $170 for everything. The machinist was very knowledgeable and knew a lot about the car/drivetrain surprisingly. He did say that my flywheel was done for after this clutch though. I tried to find an OE replacement flywheel through my suppliers and came up empty handed after multiple phone calls. At least I can get one more round out of this flywheel and I'm not stuck trying to find one yet. Now I just need to get the clutch and trans back in and figure out if I need to shim my pivot ball before my boss has an aneurism from my car occupying a bay for so long.

G
(JDM Unit)
04/08/14 10:18 PM

I meant a lot of things wrong with it. Looks real clean though.

boostback
(Junior Member)
04/09/14 08:19 AM

Very clean car best of luck getting it running soon. Wish I could say that about mine.

boostback
(Junior Member)
04/09/14 08:20 AM

Beautiful car. Best of luck getting it running soon.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/09/14 06:40 PM

Look what I got! A big thanks to the previous owner of 677/1000 for hooking me up with this badge! It's sad that the real 677 is dead and rusted out, but it's pretty neat knowing she was a summit white w/sunroof also.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/16/14 10:35 PM

The good:
Today was a big day. I installed the new rear main and re sealed the oil pan. Pulled the manifold and turbo and replaced all crush washers and oil drain gaskets, removed the turbo to manifold stud in favor of a bolt and notched the drivers side of the manifold for easier removal in the future. Installed the clutch, t.o.b, fork and pivot ball which ended up needing a 1.3mm shim all said and done.

Its sitting again till I get a day off to install the new timing belt, b.s. belt, idlers and tensioner, cams seals and water pump, wheels bearings and tie rods.

The bad:
I was very shocked when I found a valve spring retainer lock in my oil pan along with some other large debris. Nothing was recognizable but the retainer. So now I'm in for a bit more work if that lock actually popped out.

Im curious, I haven't had my valve cover off yet too see. Are the retainers visible after just removing the valve cover or will I need to pull the cams?

Sorry no pics from today, I was way to "in the zone" to snap any.

And I was also curious if anyone knew off the top of their head.. when installing the pass side 4 bolt gusset/bracket back under the car do the longer bolts go in the front or rear holes?

highrpm666
(Member)
04/19/14 07:02 PM

Today I was able to get a bit of time to remove the valve cover and inspect the valve retainers/locks. I confirmed that all of the locks are installed. I was very worried about it. It appears my head has been freshly rebuilt also. Upon obtaining the car one of the first things I noticed was how clean the head was compared to the block and intake manifold. Im not sure how long ago it was done but it looks to be fairly recent.

Here is the pesky lil guy I found in the oil pan when doing the rear main etc.

I am very relieved that all the locks are in place but at the same time im extremely curious how this ended up in the pan. Is this not a valve retainer lock? It sure looks like one to me.

So now she is almost ready to drive home. Just gotta do the timing belts and components, front wheel bearings and tie rods, align it and go take an emissions test. From there its a matter of getting the plates on and breaking in the clutch. Im so excited to drive my first vr4!

Not sure if it will be safe to rev with the b16g on a bone stock car but I should be able to drive her back and forth to work safely while I break in the clutch and work out the kinks.

G
(JDM Unit)
04/19/14 09:47 PM

It probably fell down one of the oil passages. They can be a pita when removing valve train parts manually while the head is on the block.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/21/14 03:55 PM

I just dont understand why someone would machine and clean the head up and then proceed to replace the guide seals with the head on the block. It was probably done earlier and they then realized it needed a head gasket or something.

Painted the valve cover today. Came out ok. Clear coated it also.

G
(JDM Unit)
04/21/14 09:36 PM

It could have fell down 2 owners back. He may have replaced the valve seals or something.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/23/14 09:33 PM

Replaced the timing belt, b.s. belt, idler, tensioner pulleys, hyd tensioner, water pump, valve cover gasket today. Had a heck of a time tensioning the timing belt, what a rediculous headache inducing procedure. I have both of the special tools too. Took me 6 tries to get it within spec. Ended up using the method from the vfaq. The mitsu/alldata method just didn't work for me at all. This was my first 4g63 timing belt job. Upon re assembly I found my lower timing cover to be warped and rubbing things in a bad way. It will need replaced before I can run or drive it. It was making some pretty bad noises when I fired it up. I cleaned it all up for nothing. Bummer. It was really nice to actually fire her up though. Ran like a champ other than the whirring noises from my lower cover. Only ran the engine for a few minutes to avoid damaging any new timing components. I'm going to re tension the belt as it was on the high end of spec. Basically 4.5mm rod extension exactly, going to try to get it in the middle of spec this time. Spent a good deal of time cleaning parts and the engine bay on the timing side. Starting to look nice under the hood finally. Still need to repair some random crispy wiring and figure out what to do with my valve cover vent tube, I just ran a long hose down to the bottom of the engine bay for the time being till I make a catch can.

Just a few more maintenance items to resolve and she will be a roadworthy vr4 once again!

highrpm666
(Member)
04/23/14 09:42 PM

Only two pics today.. was too frustrated with the tensioning procedure to snap many

highrpm666
(Member)
04/28/14 08:03 PM

Got to spend the day working on the Galant. Replaced the front wheel bearings and dust seals, inner and outer tie rods and filled up my transmission with some Pennzoil synchromesh. Bled the clutch and adjusted the pedal rod too. Adjusted my lower timing cover a bit to minimize the rubbing also. I have a brand new lower cover on the way from jnz along with hardware to be safe. And then the best thing ever happened, I started the car and it went into gear. All of them infact. I then pulled the car out of the shop under its own power and proceeded to put about ten miles of slow driving on it. It was amazing and I still cannot wipe the grin off of my face. Its alive!!!

Then things went south. I parked it and lifted it back up to check for leaks or anything out of the ordinary and found nothing. Tight and dry. I let it cool off a bit as all the new gaskets were smoking off pretty good and then started it again for another quick drive and it was misfiring badly and the cel came on. I immedietly pulled the upper timing cover and put her at tdc, all good there. Found a freshly broken wire to my fan switch and one of the temp sensors. Repaired the wires and still it was running poorly. I pulled all of the plugs and found one to be way over gapped. Like .070 or so and the others were about .040. Put them all to .028-ish and went over all connections under the hood using the wiggle method. Now it runs good again? I never read the flash codes, just cleared the ecu so I'm unsure what was causing the problem. Hopefully she is OK now.

So second gear does feel notchy and grinds ever so slightly.. Bummer. And it feels low on power, I think it would barely beat my 95 accord. What power it does have comes on very smoothly though. Going to check compression again and pressure test my charge pipes too. I figured a b16g on a stock car would be kinda quick.. Not so much. I didn't rev it over 4 grand and I'm guessing that's where the 16g gets happy, gotta get this clutch broken in nicely first and then I'll romp on it. Maybe its just my imagination and its got power up high.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
04/28/14 08:35 PM

Maybe it has some old gas in it? Do you have a boost gauge to verify it's making boost? Perhaps there is a restriction in the system somewhere that is robbing power? How does it idle, maybe boost leaks causing issues?

highrpm666
(Member)
04/28/14 09:17 PM

As a matter of fact it does have old 85 octane in it, I don't think the previous owner gave 2 craps about what fuel he used. I do have a brand new boost gauge, not installed yet. It idles great once warm for having no idle control systems hooked up at all. I was really just nervous about getting into the throttle since it has so many new parts installed and un tested. I think maybe the stock exhaust is just too restrictive to let the 16g spool below 4 grand? Once I get a bit more comfortable driving it I will report back about the power situation. I'm actually very nervous about making a pull to redline even once the clutch is broken in. I don't know how lean its going to run with a 16g on an otherwise bone stock car.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/30/14 08:21 PM

Figured the power issue out. I connected my new boost gauge and I was only reading 6.5 psi. Looked over my vacuum routing again and realized that I had the bcs line and j pipe lines mixed up. Got everything connected and routed properly and now I make 11.5ish psi at about 3400-3600? rpm. Its how the lines were routed when I got the car and I just put them back that way without looking at the underhood diagram closely when I was re assembling everything. Oops

Now it runs like a champ, much quicker than I expected! Its hard to resist and stay out of boost for the new clutch's sake! Drives very smoothly and the boost comes on like a charm. All the numerous old magazine articles and test drives write ups I've read have now come to life. What a great feeling car all around. I'm now very glad I decided on a vr4 instead of a 2.2 turbo legacy or dsm!

She is nearly ready to take on temporary daily driver duty.

highrpm666
(Member)
04/30/14 08:24 PM

cab222
(Junior Member)
05/03/14 04:49 PM

Kirk the car looks great and it pulls strong for only a b16g. Very thorough work. Everything 100 percent done correct which is nice to see because a lot of these cars I have seen people just half heartedly put things together. This will be the smoothest nicest Japanese car you will ever own. Nice buy and nice work once again.

Wookalar
(ignore this pathetic weasel he's just not worth the time )
05/03/14 05:46 PM

Quoting highrpm666:

Figured the power issue out. I connected my new boost gauge and I was only reading 6.5 psi. Looked over my vacuum routing again and realized that I had the bcs line and j pipe lines mixed up. Got everything connected and routed properly and now I make 11.5ish psi at about 3400-3600? rpm. Its how the lines were routed when I got the car and I just put them back that way without looking at the underhood diagram closely when I was re assembling everything. Oops

Now it runs like a champ, much quicker than I expected! Its hard to resist and stay out of boost for the new clutch's sake! Drives very smoothly and the boost comes on like a charm. All the numerous old magazine articles and test drives write ups I've read have now come to life. What a great feeling car all around. I'm now very glad I decided on a vr4 instead of a 2.2 turbo legacy or dsm!

Glad you are getting her sorted out, that chassis looks pretty clean. Any rust in the rockers? Or bottom of the doors?

You never mentioned if you got the water pipe leak fixed but it's just a rubber o-ring holding it in with a 12 or 14mm securing it to the front of the block. You likely got it since you did the water pump and are obviously capable of working on cars.

I was going to say to check vacuum lines cause you should definitely notice a difference with that 16g. If the vacuum lines are old and crusty I would recommend replacing them.

Honestly, the next best upgrades you could do to really notice a gain are a 3" exhaust, rewired walbro fuel pump, and ecmtuning/dsmlink. Then source a cheap fuel pressure regulator and do some tuning. The car will scoot if tuned properly, especially if you throw some 550 injectors in there. But at that point you will want a larger upper IC pipe. And then a larger FMIC. And then a ......

I ran a b16g back in the day with aforementioned mods (minus a FMIC but add a safc) and it made for some good power. If only I had ecmlink back then!

Good job so far.

highrpm666
(Member)
05/04/14 10:23 PM

Quoting cab222:

Kirk the car looks great and it pulls strong for only a b16g. Very thorough work. Everything 100 percent done correct which is nice to see because a lot of these cars I have seen people just half heartedly put things together. This will be the smoothest nicest Japanese car you will ever own. Nice buy and nice work once again.

Thanks for the kind words Chad! I still have a lot of work to do before its up to my standards! And a big thanks again for the dash badge, 677 lives again!

highrpm666
(Member)
05/04/14 10:48 PM

Quoting Wookalar:

Quoting highrpm666:

Glad you are getting her sorted out, that chassis looks pretty clean. Any rust in the rockers? Or bottom of the doors?

You never mentioned if you got the water pipe leak fixed but it's just a rubber o-ring holding it in with a 12 or 14mm securing it to the front of the block. You likely got it since you did the water pump and are obviously capable of working on cars.

I was going to say to check vacuum lines cause you should definitely notice a difference with that 16g. If the vacuum lines are old and crusty I would recommend replacing them.

Honestly, the next best upgrades you could do to really notice a gain are a 3" exhaust, rewired walbro fuel pump, and ecmtuning/dsmlink. Then source a cheap fuel pressure regulator and do some tuning. The car will scoot if tuned properly, especially if you throw some 550 injectors in there. But at that point you will want a larger upper IC pipe. And then a larger FMIC. And then a ......

I ran a b16g back in the day with aforementioned mods (minus a FMIC but add a safc) and it made for some good power. If only I had ecmlink back then!

Good job so far.

Hi and thanks! She has been quite the project so far. As for the rust I haven't found anything but the battery tray and a small area underneath it but its all surface rust. There is a very small area on each pinchweld under the rear bumper that I plan to fix asap, its just surface rust at the moment and its difficult to notice. I haven't pulled the front fenders to see the situation there. Im guessing its minimal. Nothing on the rockers/doors whatsoever. It is fairly clean inside and out. It has a few door dings and imperfections you cannot see in the pictures though. The ancient tinting is very ugly too.

Yes I did get the waterpipe sealed. It seems that I've gotten all of the leaks patched up proper. Ive put 130 or so miles on it since I got her running and its clean and dry still.

And thanks for the upgrade advice. Im considering a path very similar to that to start things off. I want a reliable moderately quick car, nothing crazy and total sleeper status. Its going to take me a while to get it completely reliable before I start buying any upgraded parts or doing any mods so I've got time to do my research and make a potent combo of bolt ons etc.

(Member)
05/04/14 10:55 PM

Welcome....

Wookalar
(ignore this pathetic weasel he's just not worth the time )
05/05/14 11:45 AM

Right on man, keep up the good work.

paul j
(Member)
05/12/14 11:11 PM

Welcome. I am hoping to get started on 1551 shortly, if the weather cooperates. I also need to replace some wires that have the connectors off. I need to find some green/blue stripe, yellow/green stripe, green/red stripe, light blue, for areas by the thermostat. Do you know of a source? It appears you work at a Firestone by a Midas. I grew up in Englewood.

highrpm666
(Member)
05/13/14 10:00 AM

Hi, I dont really have a source for color coded wire. Ive just been using random colored bulk for my repairs. Though you could try EBay to find the proper color rolls.

I actually work for Midas very near a firestone on west colfax. I grew up in Morrison.

Best of luck getting 1551 running again, I would love to see it! Maybe a denver area meet should be in the works for this summer. Try and get some vr4's together for some pictures and a cruise of sorts. Seems to be quite a few around in running condition. Personally I've only seen 4 vr4's in my life and I own one of them but, I see lots of people from Colorado on the board.

holeshotmoe
(subclass marmoreus)
05/13/14 12:42 PM

Quoting MRmeeTooxD:

put a blade through that old steering wheel an you would be able to use inner rubber steering wheel.. 365/1000

^^^ Yes, carefully slice that old leather skin off and underneath you'll find a leather textured rubber wheel. Nice work on the car too. Take your boss for a ride and maybe he'll help you with the rest of the work needed, or at least give you more time on the lift

highrpm666
(Member)
05/16/14 08:34 PM

^^ Thanks man! I'm just replacing my steering wheel when it comes time. Right now its pretty far out on my to do list. And I've already taken my boss for a ride. He is a car nut like me and loves Vr4s too but he is a Toyota guy. Anyway I get all the bay time I need really. Its a pretty good gig.

Update:
Yesterday I was headed home from work and decided to make a very aggressive run up to speed getting on the highway. It was the first time I ran it up to near redline through two gears and it was awesome! I had a huge grin till I hit about 80-85 and my entire right side windshield trim and corner piece came flying off like a chunk of the space shuttle on re-entry. It came flying off so quick it took me a second to realize what it was. I didn't have a chance to stop and grab it either.

So today after work I stopped on the side of the highway and walked back and forth like an idiot looking for my trim... I found it a few minutes later in a twisted mess, completely ruined. Corner piece was nowhere to be found. So sad. So it now looks like I'm in the market for some windshield trim and corner pieces!

rebelboost
(Junior Member)
05/25/14 05:24 PM

congrats on the car and welcome to a new life style!

highrpm666
(Member)
06/08/14 07:37 PM

Put the galant in the IDRC drags/tuner mayhem car show at Bandimere speedway today! She was washed, clay barred, polished and waxed for the show. She got a lot of attention.

The show was pretty cool other than the rain. I didn't stick around for the awards show as I wasn't expecting to win anything. I had the only galant vr4 in the show but, 559/2000 was there racing. I had a great time and got to see some cool old evo's and a few other very cool cars.

Edit: I also removed the pinstripes! And I've put 710 miles on the car now, I drive it to work about 3 days a week. She is still giving me hot start problems and I now think I have a failing Maf/iat. Im hoping to try another used maf soon and see if the problem persists.

highrpm666
(Member)
06/17/14 10:50 PM

So the Colorado weather has claimed another victim. 677 was hit by golf ball sized hail last Saturday afternoon. No glass was broken miraculously but, the damage to the roof, hood and trunk are plenty enough for the insurance company to consider it totalled.

It happened at my apartment while I was at work 22 miles away. There was absolutely nothing I could do. My girlfriend watched it get pummeled while I had the only keys in my pocket across town. I think I died a little on the inside when I arrived home 3 agonizing hours later to examine the damage.

Figures, just my luck really. Atleast it wasn't stolen or crashed though. I just spent 10+ hours washing, claybarring, polishing and waxing it for the car show. It looked so good and now it looks like crap.

Ill snap a few pictures tomorrow and post em up. Because of the spot it was parked in it actually didn't get nearly as much damage as the vehicles around it. It was parked in a single isolated spot in between two reserved covered parking areas. Basically the sides of the car were shielded and a small gap between the two roofs let hail hit the roof, truck and hood only. The a,b,c pillars didn't get any very noticeable pings but they are there. The roof looks the worst and the trunk is pretty bad, the hood is pretty thrashed. Hood was going to be replaced anyway do to being bent slighty at the hinges from coming open while driving with the previous owner. The front and rear quarters and doors look good except for a few lil dings from ricochet.

So so sad

Yao
(Senior Member)
06/18/14 07:18 AM

so sorry to hear about that, I remembered 15 years ago when I was on I225 heading south and saw a SHEET of rain/hails right in front of me and all the cars are stopped under the bridge to take refuge and blocked traffic, so I think fast and exited right before the sheet of Hails that is Ping-Pong ball sized!! I made turns and head for the nearest apt, cover and dodged the bullet right when I pulled into someone else's cover!!

Dark_Horse
(Member +)
06/18/14 12:42 PM

If you're going to replace it with the insurance money, there's a 91 still for sale in Longmont. click

highrpm666
(Member)
06/18/14 03:36 PM

^ funny u should mention that car. I tried to contact him about 10 times when I was looking for a vr4. He never responded at all. I think the add is a scam of some sort. He adjusts the price every once in a while but will absolutely not respond. I even found it on another website and messaged him there. No response. Its been posted for sale for about 5 months. If he would have just called me back I would own that car instead of my current vr4.

Anyways I am keeping mine. Ive put too much time into it to let it go. Im only getting a quote to repair the roof and trunk from the body shop. Im going to try and find a EVO/RS hood soon. I may even just blow the entire insurance check on the drivetrain. I sure could use a tranny and a 4 bolt rear end!

highrpm666
(Member)
06/18/14 04:09 PM

These pics dont make it look very bad. Its much worse in person.

Here is some of the hail. This had been melting for 3 or so hours when I picked it up and stuck it in the freezer.

BpuVR4
(Rolled by Accord while sauced)
06/20/14 11:25 AM

Quoting highrpm666:

uhh so how do you guys have these gorgeous Evos in CO- my all time favs? is this a new thing now?

G
(JDM Unit)
06/20/14 12:18 PM

That sucks man. It happened to me once driving across the country. Luckily I came to an underpass right away and was able to stop until the storm passed. You can get it fixed but you have to research a good dent removal guy. Good meaning someone who does not destroy the inside of the vehicle with excessive drilling of holes etc..............

(mass moment of inertia )
06/22/14 05:58 PM

Just saw this thread. Sorry about the hail damage. I don't know if your going to fix it, but if you do ck the injectors. If you have a RS JDM engine it might have the yellow top 510 injectors installed. That would also indicate it probably has a big 16g turbo.

snailspool
(Member)
06/23/14 11:16 AM

Sad to hear, I imagine you plan to r and r the hood and trunk, and have the roof fixed?

highrpm666
(Member)
07/23/14 10:40 PM

Thanks guys, that hail damage really sucked. Its no biggie though, getting this thing looking pretty is now on the back burner unfortunately. Im still very happy with the car regardless of the multiple dings. Its still gourgous in my eyes.

So I have put 1685 miles on it now and its doing great other than a few small issues. I finally figured out my hot start issue. It ended up being injector #3. I have figured out that if I unplug/reconnect the injector a few times on a hot start it will start pulsing properly and I can get where I need to go.

My rear rotors have such a large wear lip on them that it now makes a constant very light yet annoying ringing noise. It drives me nuts and I'm going to replace all the pads and rotors asap.

I have now installed a lower shores mbc and have it set a 12 psi. I also simplified the vacuum routing and hose lengths and re connected all of the pcv/crank case ventilation hoses in the proper factory manor. I now make full boost a few hundred rpms sooner and it just feels more responsive overall.

I have installed a new used maf I picked up locally. Its a 1g tel maf that's had the lower honeycomb removed and silencer taken off. My original maf was hacked in the same style but caused an IAT code. I actually didn't even realize that my maf was modified until I was swapping it out for the new one.

I made a custom ring to eliminate my aircan out of the 1g aircan I acquired. It holds the k&n filter snug against the original vr4 maf/aircan pretty well and I now have what I like to refer to as my super awesome speed whistle noises. You can hear the turbo and bov very well even when just cruising around barely getting into boost. It makes me smile every time it goes pshhh!

Im going to pick up some 550 or larger injectors, install a rewired walbro 255, fpr, 2g maf/pigtail, and get a linkv3 chip/cable as soon as I can. Then I will make myself a custom 3" catted exhaust and get an aftermarket downpipe and make a custom fmic shortly thereafter. Hoping to tune 250whp out of her and then start pondering my clutch and drivetrain mods.

I still have to tend to a few maintenance items. Gotta replace the brakes, brake lines, brake master, rad hoses and heater core hoses, fuel filler hose, harmonic balancer, ps belt and fluid, windshield, filter housing gasket, sway bar end links, rear wheel bearings, struts/springs/tophats and last but not least... the tranny with either a used unit for the time being or go ahead and drive mine down the road to Jack's for a stage 1 rebuild when funds allow.

here's for the people who only look at these threads for the pics. .. enjoy!

Still beautiful with hail damage!

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
07/23/14 10:59 PM

Looking good, man. Hit under the hood with some rags and a little simple green to clean it up and it will really pop.

The car still looks good IMO. Keep up the good work.

highrpm666
(Member)
08/03/14 07:20 PM

Picked up this stainless 2.5" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust from an org member locally today. Its made for a VR4. Its in pretty good shape and I got a killer deal. Couldn't pass it up. I had to cut it in half to get it home.

Can't wait to bolt it up!

highrpm666
(Member)
08/11/14 11:06 AM

Got my new exhaust installed last week. Had to replace the flex pipe as it was leaking a bit when I applied compressed air to the downpipe. The entire system hung under the vehicle perfectly but, the tip sticks out a bit more than I would like. Im going to shorten it when I get some spare time at the shop.

It sounds so good now. Not to mention it picked up some noticeable power. I immediately had to crank the boost down because it jumped almost 3 psi. It now spikes 13 no matter what and then almost instantly goes back to 10 psi. Im trying to play it safe and keep the boost low till I get the fuel pump in and rewired, 2g maf, injectors and link. Ive just been driving it as nicely as I can back and forth to work, with the occasional wot moment.

Today she is getting a new windshield around noon. I cannot wait! Driving this car with all the cracks is ridiculous. Ive just been waiting to get pulled over and ticketed. The current windshield looks so terrible you could almost push it in to the cabin by hand. Also I will be getting new windshield trim today. Just universal rubber stuff. I hope it looks alright.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
08/11/14 12:35 PM

coming along nicely. I definitely noticed some power pickup when I did my turboback exhaust as well. definitely worth it, you'll pick up at least that much if not more with a proper FMIC setup.

I lived in Colorado for 8 years, everyone has a cracked windshield. I don't think you have to worry about it too much. To me it's more weird if you live in colorado and your windshield doesn't have a crack on it somewhere. just too many crazy temperature variances for the glass to handle down there.

highrpm666
(Member)
08/11/14 02:24 PM

Cracked windshields are very common here unfortunately. When I hop into customers vehicles at my shop about 75% of them are cracked up pretty badly. Hopefully this one lasts me a while.

The new trim looks pretty good to me. I may have this done to the rear window also.

Now I need to pull my wiper arms and cowel piece off for some fresh paint!

I also got myself a baggy full of fresh oe windshield trims clips. Since he used aftermarket trim he didnt use them and just gave them to me.

highrpm666
(Member)
09/10/14 03:25 PM

New JNZ braided brake lines arrived along with a gauge cup so I can permanently mount my boost gauge!

I have put 3000 miles on her now. Changed the oil over to Mobil 1 10w/40 fully synthetic high mileage with a can of BG MOA also.

The lifters have started making noise on cold starts within the last 1000 miles. Kinda annoying. Im now considering replacement options. Everyone seems to recommend the 3g lifters so I will probably end up buying a set when funds allow.

The trans seems to be shifting worse and worse every day although, it shifts great when cold or for about the first five miles of my drive to work everyday. Once the trans is warm it starts grinding into second and third. I cannot downshift into second or third without coming to almost a complete stop. Im getting pretty good at double clutching and synching gears. I can almost make it 22 miles to work without a single grind if I play nicely with the gearbox. A trans rebuild or used trans is my next priority.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
09/10/14 03:43 PM

Adjust your clutch. click

highrpm666
(Member)
09/10/14 04:32 PM

^ Wishful thinking! I have twice since installing the new clutch/pivot ball+shim/fork. Same exact issue with zero change.

My clutch engagement point is good. I can shift between all gears running with the car stopped hot or cold. No drag and no reverse clunks. My slave is extending fully hot or cold. Clutch fork rests in proper position. Master and slave are both new oem parts and properly bled. Clutch pedal assembly seems good, I think its been rebuilt.

The only parts that arent brand new are the trans/synchros, clutch line, and possibly the pedal assembly.

The tranny has been through hell with the previous owner. He drove it with improper rod adjustment and a flyhweel that had been cut too many times without a pivot ball shim for far too long and trashed it. Unfortunately he and his "mechanic" had very little knowledge. He just kept forcing it into gear for who knows how many miles.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
09/10/14 04:34 PM

Suck. My 2nd gear is like that, synchro has seen better days.

highrpm666
(Member)
09/10/14 04:55 PM

Ya know it really does keep me from driving the car hard though. Its a good reminder to not go WOT untuned with no supporting mods on this 16g when it grinds

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
09/10/14 05:08 PM

Why not? My research has shown that the stock fuel system can handle a 16g at stock boost levels.

highrpm666
(Member)
09/10/14 05:14 PM

I still do some WOT pulls in 3rd and 4th occasionally. Its impossible not to. It just runs and sounds so good! This is currently my only car so I gotta make sure it stays running for now! If she blew up I would be screwed

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
09/10/14 05:37 PM

Probably a safe bet. I drive like a grandma anyways. Do you get any creep with your 16g?

highrpm666
(Member)
09/10/14 06:19 PM

No creep at all. I did get quite the jump in boost after putting the exhaust on though. It went up about 3 psi and I had to re adjust my boost controller to get it back down.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
09/10/14 06:20 PM

I have no boost gauge so I don't know if I am creeping or not. My driving is conservative though and I don't go WOT so it is not a problem. Exhaust and FMIC did do a huge improvement in power on my car though, for sure. turbo came after but not that big of a jump at stock boost levels.

highrpm666
(Member)
09/10/14 09:15 PM

Get your self a boost gauge and mbc! I'm sure your around 14-15psi and you may be spiking 18+. A manual boost controller and a boost gauge is a must. If I remember correctly you are running basically stock other than an evo 3 16g, fmic and 3" downpipe and 1g 3" exhaust. Turning that boost back down till you get your fuel system and ecu up to snuff may save your engine from some possible damage even if your not going wot.

Its an old set of articles but definetly a good read. Go to turbomagazine.com and type "galant vr4" into the search bar. Its a good write up on modifying the vr4 and shows gains in stages over multiple articles. It all starts in the first article with the addition of a k&n filter and full 2.5" turbo-back. The gains are very impressive and it goes on from there. Not limited to but including the 16g as the first turbo upgrade. They also describe the boost level increase from the bolt ons when using the stock bcs.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
09/11/14 01:34 PM

I have a logger, injectors don't see more than 75% duty cycle at WOT, my ECU is pulling fuel in mid and high range RPMs.. only ever seen 1 count of knock at most through the MMCD logger. I think I'm ok.

But I am buying parts to be in better control over my fuel system, yes.

highrpm666
(Member)
09/11/14 11:06 PM

^That sounds pretty good. How has the mmcd logger worked for you? I've been curious about this. Seems to be a few style cables/supported devices available also, which are you using?

highrpm666
(Member)
10/02/14 11:18 PM

Picked up a used transmission yesterday. Its a Jdm box "C5OPH FG0108" switchable 2wd/4wd 22 spline 3.545FD. Its said to shift like butter. Came from 554/1000 to the best of my knowledge. I havent been able to track it any further back than that.

Hoping to swap it in very soon. Gotta pick up some new axle seals and clean it up a bit more. I plan on picking up the matching transfer case too otherwise I will be swapping out the 22 for my 23 spline shaft if possible. Hoping this will be a good temporary solution to my synchro blues!

And my fans quit working. Havent been able to properly diagnose the issue yet. Only way they will work is if I jump the blue wire on the back of the thermostat housing to ground. I get nothing but relay clicks when I jump the fan switch on the radiator and cant seem to figure it out. hoping to dig into this when I pull the trans.

And the isc went bad. Pretty sure the ecu is damaged. Bummer. Still idles great though once warm? One coil on the isc has very high resistance.

highrpm666
(Member)
01/08/15 08:36 PM

Progress report:

I've put 5100 miles on her now. It runs like a charm. Fixed my hot start issue by replacing injector #3. Starts up and runs fine every time!

Replaced the transmission today with the jdm switchable box I picked up. Shifts great now. Had to put my 23 spline output shaft from my usdm trans in. Worked out very well. I also replaced both axle seals and the output shaft seal. This time around I used 75-90 valvoline gl4. It's just amazing to be able to up and downshift without grinds, lockouts etc.

Put new tires on her a few weeks ago. Went up to a 205/60/15. They are Sumic gt60's. Cheap tires. Paid $181. Good bang for the buck I suppose. They do seem to follow grooved concrete badly but otherwise they have been great.

My orange dash light randomly quit working. I haven't really looked into the cause but it's on my to do list now.

Picked up ecmlink v3 with a tel ecu and cable. It appears to be brand new and never used. Ecu is freshly recapped and socketed by ecmlink. I'm going to pick up an Innovative lc2 wideband setup and get link installed asap. Gotta replace my ISC still too. I cannot wait to learn how to tune. Got a couple gearhead buddies here in town, 559/2000 and 1309/2000 who are going to help me learn the ins and outs of link.

I've been having loads of fun in the snow recently. I absolutely love this car in bad weather. It's a friggin drift tractor. It reminds me of my '05 sti but with much more traction on ice and snow. It's a donut machine for sure! Very predictable and it's easy to be a snow parking lot Ken Block.

All in all its hands down the best car I've ever owned. Love everything about it! More updates coming soon.

highrpm666
(Member)
01/29/15 02:41 AM

Wideband and Ecmlink v3 installed as of tonight. spent he better part of the evening with the install. got her partially tuned and drivable. Going to work on the tune some more and attempt to milk some more power out of her tomorrow

next day edit: Got the tune setup pretty well today. She is now running 15psi and everything is looking great in link. It runs a million times better than before with a very noticeable power gain. the exhaust note is much healthier sounding as well. Very happy with the results. A big thanks to the owner of 559/2000 for help with the tune and install!

highrpm666
(Member)
03/09/15 04:09 PM

Today is the one year anniversary of owning my vr4. I've put 7000 miles on her now. Runs great other than a new deceleration vibration thats been happening intermittently for the last 1000 or so miles. Still haven't put the car on the lift to see what's going on as I've been waiting for it to get worse so it will be obvious when I got to diagnose the issue. Only happens when decelerating in 4th between 45 and 30 mph And it feels to be coming from the rear end. It started after I cleaned about 200lbs of crap out of my trunk.

I'm ordering her an anniversary gift today... evo maf, 660cc injectors and a fuel pump! Next up is a fmic!

I tried to upload some pics but the uploader isn't working for me today. I'll try again later.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/19/15 03:13 PM

Someone tried to steal 677 last night. They ruined my drivers lock cylinder trying to pick the lock. They were very careful not to damage anything but the lock cylinder thankfully. Now my key won't go in more than about an inch and it won't unlock or lock from the drivers side. Passenger side was untouched. Got a new lock cylinder ordered from the dealer. $36. It just makes me furious that someone tried to take her. Tonight I'm getting a 12 pack and a lawn chair and I'm gonna sit and watch, rifle in hand

G
(JDM Unit)
03/19/15 04:01 PM

How about an aftermarket alarm?

highrpm666
(Member)
03/19/15 04:06 PM

I'm going alarm shopping next week after I read every online review I can find for various alarm systems!

G
(JDM Unit)
03/19/15 08:57 PM

I like the encore alarms.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
03/20/15 09:49 AM

id say the decel vibration it the carrier bearings and u-joints in the driveshaft. get the rebuild kit from JNZ.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/20/15 01:01 PM

I put her on the lift yesterday and found my second u-joint at the first carrier loose. I'm going to replace the one and go from there. My driveshaft was completely rebuilt right before I bought the car. Still has a shiny sticker from the driveline shop that did the work. Can't believe I've already got a bad u joint. I really hope that it's the source of the vibration. My carrier bearings look and feel to be ok But I may replace them anyway just to eliminate them as a potential cause.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
03/20/15 05:47 PM

Well if the shop didn't use oem parts, like JNZ, the u-joints will be thinner and weaker. Also the carrier bearings rubber will fall apart faster then OEM ones.

highrpm666
(Member)
08/04/15 04:31 PM

Haven't had a chance to update in a while.. I have put just over 10,000 miles on her now. Been running very good with no issues other than the drive shaft vibration and a few minor things. I still plan on rebuilding the drive shaft soon but since my shop has been so busy I haven't got any bay time to do so. I will probably wait till we slow down and yank the drive shaft out for some new goodies.

I have been collecting parts for the car since my last update. So far I've picked up...
3g lifters
A used drivers side auto seatbelt assembly
A used master window switch - Installed already
New OE radiator hoses
399 maf with Blox filter and adapter harness
Denso 660cc injectors
Evo 9 fuel pump
Hood strut kit- installed already
New BC BR coilovers
27x7x2.5 FMIC

Should have the coilovers installed and the car re aligned tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the MAF, injectors and fuel pump in very soon and get it tuned again. Then I will be taking it to a local Tig guy when I have a chance to have custom charge pipes made and the intercooler installed with another tune as well.

I've got to meet quite a few gvr4 owners here in Denver and we have a nice little group of running and daily driven galants. From 600whp beasts all the way down to my nearly stock DD. Its pretty neat having this many people around driving gvr4's

And the pics!

highrpm666
(Member)
08/04/15 04:41 PM

Tried to post a bunch more really good pics but the image up-loader isn't working after the first two. not sure whats up with that.

highrpm666
(Member)
08/15/15 10:25 PM

PoppaSmurf
(Newbie)
08/16/15 11:14 PM

Checking in from Boulder County

highrpm666
(Member)
08/18/15 07:23 PM

Hey! I see you found my Lil galant thread!

highrpm666
(Member)
05/15/16 08:34 PM

Been a while since the last update. Car is running very well and I've now put 20,000 miles on her. I have done some work on the car since I last posted but not much. Too busy using it as my daily driver to do anything major. I plan on parking it soon when I find a decent daily beater.

I've installed a new used hood and rear bumper that were in much better condition than the original parts. I've also installed a paulo pillar 2 gauge pod. Looks much better than 2 gauges resting on the driver speaker cover! I put in a very special steering wheel, It came from my very first car. I think its a Grant Formula. I completely removed the charcoal canister and lines. Removed the cruise control as well. Installed a poly front roll stop too.

I purchased a good used small 16g and rebuilt it. Haven't got around to installing it just yet. Planning on swapping turbos when I have the front end taken apart for the intercooler install in a few weeks. Also will be removing the remaining a/c lines and condenser. Really trying to get the underhood looking tidy!

Decided to go with a stock evo 8 core instead of the CxRacing core I purchased.

Also I purchased a new rebuilt shortblock.. Assembled with stock pistons, rods and crank. ACL crank and rod bearings and ARP rod bolts. Still need to buy a ton of parts to put it together. Also picked up a used head that I still need to take to the machine shop and see if its use able. Got it very cheap due to a couple cracked guides.

I've really been enjoying the car with the few mods I have done. Its just so enjoyable to drive on the winding mountain roads here. I think it handles fairly well and has just enough power to get myself into trouble! I suppose I'll list the mods as of right now..

BC BR coilovers
JNZ braided brake lines and DOT 4
Poly front roll stop
ECMlink v3 tuned @ 18 psi
Lower Shores MBC
evo 399 maf with BLOX filter/adapter
Denso 660's
Big 16g
2g exhaust manifold
2 1/2" downpipe and catback
3g lifters
a/c, cruise, charcoal canister removed

Need to get my fuel pump and regulator, Fmic, small 16g installed and retune.

And once again the picture up-loader isn't working for me. Just gives me an error message after the upload reaches 100%

highrpm666
(Member)
05/19/16 10:44 PM

93 headlights in!

Only pic it's letting me upload.. I'll keep trying!

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
05/20/16 06:45 AM

Watch the size of your pictures. There is a limit. I usually have to resize mine down from my camera because 21 megapixels makes them too large (like 5M, I think limit here is 2M).

highrpm666
(Member)
05/20/16 09:19 AM

I do believe that's the issue. I'll try resizing them and uploading again.

highrpm666
(Member)
05/20/16 11:20 PM

resize test post

highrpm666
(Member)
05/23/16 08:48 PM

Finally got some pics re-sized to upload.

New steering wheel and pillar pod installed

Snowy meet last winter

Not so snowy meet this spring

Small 16g getting rebuilt

Finished Small 16g

Installing new rear bumper

New shortblock

new hood and '93 headlights

Sideshot with red rocks park in the background

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
05/24/16 07:43 AM

Nice looking car.

I don't really like the 92 stock wheels usually, but for some reason on the white cars they look good.

highrpm666
(Member)
07/11/16 10:38 PM

Well.. Update time.

Had the windows re-tinted with 20% all around and a windshield strip done also. Looks pretty darn good. much better than the bubbly 20 year old purple tint it had.

Turned the new rebuilt small 16g into a billet wheel tdo5/20g with an anti-surge cover. I have a few small items to address before I can install it. It will be downfiring so it changes a few things. Not quite sure if its going to clear the waterpipe either. Its going to initially be internally gated but, I plan to externally gate it soon. I will be buying a FP exhaust manifold and a recirculated wastegate o2 housing.

Picked up a new used cylinder head for the new engine. Its a 6-bolt head with bc springs and retainers, plus bc 272 cams. Also grabbed a set of arp headstuds

I'll post some pics once I sync my camera to my PC!

Last but not least, she is about 175 miles away from clicking off 200,000 miles!

highrpm666
(Member)
12/23/16 12:45 PM

Said goodbye to 677/1k last night. It was so hard letting her go. I had a tough time even walking away from her. Handing over the keys was the hardest part though...

But I'll have her back in a few days with about 200 more HP! Dropped her off with a local fabricator/dsm guru to have all the parts I've been gathering installed! I'm a bit nervous since no one else has ever worked on my car besides myself.

Lots of good stuff is going in.
Big gvr4 specific fmic
All custom made 2.5" piping
Fp manifold
Tdo5 20G w/billet wheel and anti surge comp cover
Tubular o2 with a tial 38mm gate/dump tube
Go fast bits Bov
Custom intake tube keeping stock battery location

I'll post some pics when I get the car back and tuned!

edit: Forgot to mention, I bought a some wheels too. Picked up a set of 5Zigen FNO1R-C hot editions in 17x8 +35's. They have been painted gold and one wheel is bent. For 160 bucks I could not pass them up. Having the bent wheel repaired asap and then trying to figure out what tires I would like to put on them. I'm considering Conti Extreme contacts but I'll be looking into other options as well.

highrpm666
(Member)
12/27/16 10:10 PM

scottinalaska
(Junior Member)
12/29/16 01:39 AM

Aw! I am just one number down from you....way up here in Alaska!

highrpm666
(Member)
12/30/16 12:09 AM

^Awesome man! Too bad mines not actually 677/1k. Still trying to figure out my actual badge number. I do have an extensive history of my car but no one seems to know what the original badge number was. It's a mystery.

highrpm666
(Member)
12/30/16 12:09 AM

highrpm666
(Member)
12/30/16 12:11 AM

highrpm666
(Member)
12/30/16 12:12 AM

The ETS core tucks oh so nicely behind that uncut bumper... 10" tall with room to spare... 1g 3" core. I ended up having to pick up this intercooler due to a fitment issue with the stock radiator and the GVR4 specific core I had previously purchased, in the middle of the installation process.

badams
(Bungie Battery)
12/30/16 11:51 AM

Nice!!! Can you come install mine for me?

T3mp0r
(Junior Member)
12/30/16 04:56 PM

I've got 675/1000. Also white. Craziness.

highrpm666
(Member)
01/23/17 10:08 PM

Uploading a few pics since the site is back up....

Car is running very well on the new turbo setup. Pulls very hard after getting it tuned.
New setup:

Ecmlimk v3 full- tuned at about 25psi
bastard mhi tdo5h 20g, billet extended tip wheel with anti surge compressor cover and aftermarket .70 A/R hotside
FP race manifold
JMfab o2 housing/Tial F38mm 2 bolt external wastegate and custom dump tube
2 1/2" downpipe and catback with high flow cat/ dynomax muffler
660cc denso injectors
Walbro 255lph using stock fuel pump wiring/37psi base, stock fpr
Ets 1g 3" race intercooler with custom 2 1/2" short route piping
Go fast bits Mach 2 bov recirced
Custom intake pipe
evo 399 maf with Blox Filter

New wheels and tires
5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 +35 4x114.3
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 225/45-17

New catch can setup is next!

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
02/02/17 10:26 AM

Looking good! Did you get it dyno tuned or street tuned? Any numbers?

highrpm666
(Member)
02/03/17 03:17 PM

It was street tuned. It's somewhere in the 350whp range according to the butt dyno.

highrpm666
(Member)
02/05/17 02:40 AM

before.. first day of ownership

Current

I just love this car!

highrpm666
(Member)
02/13/17 01:18 PM

So while the org was down, again.. my balance shaft belt broke and caused my timing to jump 4 teeth at the crank. Had to drive the car 35 miles like this. Had about 40whp at most and idle surged horribly. Totally awesome right!? Well I purchased a new balance shaft belt and installed it, re installed the timing belt (which was undamaged somehow) and fired it up. To my surprise it runs excellent again. No bent valves! I'm the luckiest bastard alive! I've got to re size some pics for upload of the destruction and process. 4 Days of downtime total and about 3 hours work. Total cost of repair=$30. New power steering belt and new gates balance shaft belt.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
02/13/17 06:03 PM

Did you buy a lottery ticket?

highrpm666
(Member)
02/13/17 09:35 PM

Haha. I damn well should! I still can't believe it didn't bend any valves. When it happened I was just taking off from a stop light and noticed a lack of power and a slight vibration. Shifted in to second and knew something was wrong immediately. I pulled over thinking maybe I popped off a charge pipe or something. Checked it over and everything looked good. About 5 minutes before it happened I was wringing it out hard on a twisty canyon road. At first it felt like a miss but, I quickly realized it was probably jumped timing. I nursed it home and then to my shop the next morning. I'm a bit worried about the timing belt. It looked fine but I think I'm going to replace it anyways. Being my daily driver, it will be a week or two before I can. Atleast I now have done quite a few 4g63 timing belt jobs and can have it done very quickly. I still hate the double hydralic/eccentric tensioner though. In my opinion it is one of the stupidest tensioner setups ever (over)engineered.

Breakerrr
(Junior Member)
02/28/17 12:21 AM

"One of the tensioner setups ever (over)engineered."

I love that ^^^.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/06/17 08:55 PM

Mr. Bossard, Glad to see your on the org!

speedysurfer
(Newbie)
03/09/17 04:39 PM

Your Galant looks good.

highrpm666
(Member)
03/09/17 08:26 PM

The pictures hide a lot. It's got hail damage on the roof and trunk. The front fenders are faded a nasty yellow color. The hood has some dents.. It's nowhere near as beautiful in person, trust me. Although the interior is very immaculate, the exterior needs serious attention.

speedysurfer
(Newbie)
03/14/17 05:48 AM

I'm sure you'll be able to find time to fix it soon. Good luck!

highrpm666
(Member)
07/10/17 12:29 AM

Hit a deer. Messed it up. Grill, hood and passenger side headlight damaged. Not too bad though. 30mph impact. Posting pics once resized. Most of you probably saw them on the Facebook group already. Also have a bunch of car show pics to resize and post which were taken a week prior to the deer slaying incident.. otherwise 677 is running great. Daily driven 44 miles a day

New fan setup installed recently. Keeping the temps in check once again.. And pulling away from modded subies all the time(without spiking 220 during a long pull)

About to park it for more serious modifications and buying a new daily driver. Still holding around 350whp on a stock exedy prokit clutch amazingly.

Gonna take it to the track here soon and post up some timeslips. Hoping for a high to mid 13 second pass on the current setup if the clutch continues to hold..

Yao
(Senior Member)
07/18/17 11:12 AM

man, that sucks, sorry to hear about that.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page