mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/09/10 11:56 PM
555 of 1000 NEW PB ET & MPH!

Picked up this beautiful Washington Native (Port of Entry: Tacoma) Kensington Grey specimen for a GREAT price today. It's got a misfire, could be a boost leak, doesn't seem like a HG, isn't the ECU (tried 2 others). Only blows out clouds of (black) smoke if you keep your foot in it. Seemed like a telltale sign of an ecu going south.. but I'll nail that down sometime this week and have it running right! It came with 3" turbo back, an E316g, 255lph, original glovebox folder, original window sticker and VR4RS fmic. (14b is in the trunk)

According to the folder full of records i got, it's been well pampered, spent some time in Klamath Falls, Salem, and a short stint in Spokane. The last 10 years it's been here, around Seattle. NO RUST! It's got VERY few dings/scratches (barely any noticeable) sunroof, cruise works, BOTH foglights are fully intact (No rock chips!) 212k miles, tranny shifts great, everything feels very solid.

It's dark out now, so photos come tomorrow after i get off work and snap some.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
08/10/10 09:44 AM
Re: Proud new owner of 555/1000

Nice grats.. You said it had a 255 by chance do you have a fuel pressure regulator? that could be a problem with the black smoke.

Get some pics up!

Jesse

DR1665
(Kill him in the face with Wilson Phillips)
08/10/10 10:51 AM

Kensington Grey = KG = Kickass Galant.

Cheers mate. Sounds proper. Nice find. Were it not what sounds like a stellar specimen, I'd say paint it blue and put yellow stripes on the side.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/10/10 01:21 PM

nah, the 255 is actually still in a box.

It's had a bit of work done last year. New rings, new valves, timing belt, head gasket... i'm going to do a boost leak test on it after work today.
Prior owner stated that it was running great up until end of june when this current issue started.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/10/10 10:54 PM

Still needs a wash. I haven't really touched it yet.

2of9
(Hellaflush)
08/11/10 12:03 AM

looks great man. not bad for a Washington vehicle!

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/11/10 02:06 AM

Most PNW rigs are rust free since we don't use salt on the winter roads. Seattle is far enough from the actual coast (ocean) that rust issues aren't that big of a problem.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/11/10 01:51 PM

Compression and Leakdown tests yielded some unwanted results. Cyl 4 has 90# compression and it seems it's all going out the exhaust valves. Cyl 3 is at 130, and everything seems to be sealed up pretty well. Cyl 1 and 2 are letting a little bit past the rings and exhaust valves with compression of 115-120.

It seems the engine is tired. I guess i'll be refreshing this one. I think i'm going to try just tossing a good head on it and see how it goes. Being that it's only 2-3 hours worth of work, i'm not really out much time/money/effort if the bottom end is too far gone. This is a damn shame, especially considering the prior owner paid some shop over 2600 bucks to do what must have been a half assed valve job and put in new rings. All this just one year ago.

I'm also considering putting my current engine-build-already-in-progress into this vehicle. I've got an engine off at the machine shop now being reworked. Block is being cleaned, bored to 3.386", honed, decked and align honed. I've got a new set of Eagle rods and Mahle 9:1 pistons to put in when i get that back. Crank's been polished. Head is getting resurfaced, seats cut, new bronze SI valve guides installed, Stainless 1pc undercut valves, new 3g lifters, supertech duals/ti retainers, and brand new kelford 272's. Since this car already has a 3" turbo back, it'd be well suited for my GT3076r, link v3, 1000cc injectors, new 255lph pump, new WBo2, new ACT flywheel and 2600, and some other goodies (like the 4 bolt rear) off of 1411/2000.

I'm thinking I may as well put the better parts into the better car. I just don't want to neglect 1411 just because i got a new puppy (so to speak).

toybreaker
(it's peace of mind at 100 mph plus)
08/11/10 02:18 PM

If the engine has been sitting for a long time, it might be worth your while to give it a chance.

Valves can have carbon on them, and if the engine was just sitting with that cylinders exhaust valves open, the carbon can absorb water and start to flake off. If any of that get's caught between the valve and seat, it'll cause the valve to not seal well, giving every indication the engine needs work.

I'd try some seafoam/combustion chamber cleaner, and then drive it for a day or two and repeat your compression and leakdown checks.

If it doesn't improve, then you get to tearing into it knowing you gave it a chance.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/11/10 03:34 PM

It's not been sitting much, actually. Prior owner had driven it daily, and was driving it back from Wenatchee when it started cutting out under boost. I'm guessing there's a burnt valve. This is the problem it had a year ago when it got all this work. Either the work was shoddy, or the valve burnt due to some other problem.. such as a fuel delivery problem.
As i typed the last response in this thread, i pretty much convinced myself that this car should be the one i put the goodies into.
I've got to start with something decent if i want to eventually end up with something remotely close to as nice as 1051. (isn't mark's car the one we should all strive to have ours look like?)
1411 is a decent car and all, but it's got more dings, faded BG paint, and general wear (not to mention a minor bit of rust.. typical inside bottom of doors). Maybe someday i'll get a summit white one, like i want, but for now it looks like this KG car is getting the goodies.

1411 can have a near stock engine put back in it, along with the evo3 turbo out of this car.

toybreaker
(it's peace of mind at 100 mph plus)
08/11/10 05:36 PM

^^^ I see ...

Good luck with your build

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/12/10 12:41 AM

Look what i found whilst tearing the engine down today.
It's a good thing it wasn't running right from other causes, because some fucktard idiot did a piss poor turbo install.
I think we all know how this COULD have ended up....

Whoodoo
(buff guys = good time but my dream is to fondle 1051)
08/12/10 01:01 AM

Isn't that a sealing ring that goes in the stock intake pipe?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/12/10 01:23 AM

Yeah, if you're running a 14b. E316g fits the stock intake pipe w/o this spacer.
It would have really sucked to pull this apart and find the evo3 to be shot because some assmonkey screwed up the install.

BTW. Working on this car has reminded me just how much i hate working on STOCK 4g63t cars. Ugh. So much worthless shit everywhere!!!

curtis
(Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic)
08/13/10 08:10 PM

Man inspect the wheel and clean out the compressor housing and the IC pipes as well as the hot side of the IC. Those little pieces of rubber moving around can grenade a compressor wheel. I used a piece of those shit spectra hoses from Auto zone once as a spacer on a Garrett and it dried out and cooked and a piece got sucked in to the turbo and went boom.

curtis
(Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic)
08/13/10 08:14 PM

Oh one more thing if you don't want to remove the IC. Remove the throttle body end and pour solvent/parts cleaner down the pipes then put the water hose in if for a while then dry it out with a leaf blower. I've done this on old Volvos and it works great. They have a problem with having 3 quarts of oil at the bottom of the IC.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/14/10 01:15 AM

the head and manifolds are out and never to return to this vehicle.. they're to be cleaned up, reconditioned, and put in 1411.

This car is getting a fully built engine (FULLY "built"), an engine bay diet, and BB GT3076r to start with. No original plumbing will be present. Therefore no risk of any foreign matter seeing the new engine.

After pulling the head and the only 2 valves i removed were bent.. i slated this engine as a core only. The car is worth what i paid, and it'll be worth a whole lot more once i get it on the road again. Not only did i make an investment of sorts, I acquired a new baby. It may not be white, like i wanted, but it sure as hell will do!

The new engine, 4 bolt rear, clutch and other go fast parts from 1411 will work out nicely with this chassis.

1411 will still be taken care of, as it's to be my DD with the evo3 16g and basic mods. I'm not about to let a decent VR4 get parted or hit the junkyard.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/14/10 01:44 AM

drunken tirade deleted here

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
08/15/10 09:42 PM

^^^^^^
Nice. I'll be watching this. I love it when a plan comes together.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/16/10 12:28 AM

So far i've got the following NEW parts that will be going into it (that i can think of).
Kelford 272s, 3g Lifters, SI valves and guides, Mahle 9:1 +.040" pistons, Eagle rods, ACL Bearings, Cometic MLS HG, ACT flywheel + 2600# PP + 6 puck unsprung, 1g short shifter. I've been buying new parts weekly lately. I'll be buying a new FMIC setup for this before it runs, and hopefully shortly afterward, a SMIM.

Of course i've got some slightly used parts that are coming over from 1411. This will include Supertech Dual valvesprings + Ti retainers, MSD 1000cc injectors, Stillen AFPR, DSMLink V3, 3" GM Maf, GT3076r turbo, Hafe cast exh mani, Tial 38mm WG, Blitz SBC-iD + Power Meter-iD + DC-II Turbo Timer, 4 bolt rear, KYB AGX's, Eibach lowering springs, brembo/drilled slotted rotors, 93 headlights, and 89 underdash.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/16/10 02:30 AM

Well, FMIC is ordered.

I decided to jump on THIS deal!

Spearco 24x7.75x3.5 core.

Odd thing, though... this core doesn't LOOK like it's 3.5" thick in the image provided.

The_Big_Weave
(Member +)
08/18/10 03:52 PM

Nice car I have 554/1000.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/21/10 10:07 PM

It's looking like i'm going to be able to pick up a Quartermaster Twin disc clutch for pretty cheap. This should be a nice addition, as long as the deal doesn't fall through.

Update: it looks like it is either going to fall through or may be a scam. Suddenly OP of the FS ad i replied to states it's not actually a recently rebuilt QM twin set up for a dogbox, but a PTT that is set up for a stock trans. We'll see what happens.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/22/10 02:29 PM

I forgot about all this CRAP the stock cars have on them.

This stuff will NOT be going back into this car.

I'm going to finish shaving this thing, polish it, and put it on the new engine. I just need a set of studs and spacers for the hyundai style fasteners, so it won't leak! (i ran out of sanding wheels yesterday or i'd be polishing it by now)

Whoodoo
08/23/10 12:48 AM

Aren't you going to need that water pipe? I don't know if you should throw that out.

dsm10o0
(Member ++)
08/23/10 02:18 AM

Im guessing that-that 16g wont be going back in that car? Something bigger maybe? lol

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/23/10 10:43 AM

Quoting Whoodoo:

Aren't you going to need that water pipe? I don't know if you should throw that out.

Hell no i won't be using that water pipe. I certainly won't be running that baby turbo either.
I got the letters all shaved off the VC, now i just gotta get it smoothed out a bit more and start polishing it.

Like i said before, the GT3076r is going into this car. I'm thinking i need to order a FP turbine housing for it, because i'm not diggin the one that's currently on it. Problem with that is, if i do it, i gotta buy a new wastegate, manifold, and o2 housing as well.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/24/10 03:42 PM

I started to install the FMIC last night, worked on it a little more at lunch time today and took some photos.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/25/10 10:26 PM

First mockup install with fascia. The fascia and bumper are off 1411, as the bumper was already cut for a better fit and more strength than 555's bumper was. I'll be swapping fascia so the right color is on tomorrow. It definitely wasn't a "bolt on" fmic, but i didnt have to do a whole lot. I still have to move the 4ws lines around a bit on the left side.

Looks like i'm going to have to do a little bit of trimming to the bumper, but it should clean up nicely.
This fmic looks exactly like i thought it would on the car. I think it's going to work out well.

jmorri15
(Member)
08/25/10 11:42 PM

i was looking at that fmic but i wasnt sure how it'd fit. i love how it looks i may have to pick it up for that price.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/26/10 11:23 PM

Some more FMIC install photos. These illustrate what had to be done to the bumper in order to fit this unit. I cut this bumper YEARS ago with a torch, and had to do a little trimming to get it all in order. I left the top part for rigidity, protection, and what little bit of extra safety i felt i could salvage.

I had to actually BEAT (with a ball-peen hammer) the inner parts of the bumper out toward the sides where the end tanks fit. It's a tight squeeze, for sure, but it definitely fits.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/30/10 04:06 PM

Finally got the FMIC installed. Pipes should be easy to run, once i put the new engine/turbo in. I had to drill out some of the fascia support bracket bolt holes in the bumper, and weld new nuts in. The fascia is attached with stainless hardware now, wherever it was rusted out before. I cleaned up the bumper and painted it, to prevent further rust. Swapped the GOOD foglights over, got the 93 headlights swapped over, and did a lot of cleaning in the engine bay. I've still got a long way to go, but it's looking good!

I've done a lot of cleaning, but i have yet to unbolt things and clean them, as well as behind them. I'll get the block and trans out soon and start with the meticulous stuff.

This is how it looked before i started cleaning.

Whoodoo
08/30/10 07:11 PM

Dang! What are you cleaning with? I've cleaned everything that has come out of the car, but everything that was left in is still filthy. I bought some engine degreaser for the block/trans, but all that little stuff is still really dirty and I haven't figured out an easy way to get it shiny like that.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/30/10 08:31 PM

Why, Simple Green, of course! As well as rags, and compressed air.

For more greasy/oily removable parts (such as oil pumps, mounting brackets and other non body colored items)... i will soak them in lacquer thinner, then use a rag and compressed air.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/31/10 11:15 PM

Well, i'm pretty pissed off. I checked with the machine shop today, and they put my PTW clearance at .006" ...about double what it should be for Mahle 4032 pistons. Apparently they read the spec sheet for the pistons, and since i said i'd be running 20-25psi, they considered this to be "extreme duty" and added the extra .003" clearance per mahle suggestion for filled block/nitrous/high boost/drag app..

I spent the evening pulling the block out of 1411 as it's only .020 over with JE pistons in it now. Looks like i'm going to have a shop punch this one .040" for the Mahle's and i'll end up running some .060" overs in the block they went too big with. Apparently the 4g64 pistons are 86.5mm, so maybe a set of those would work out well. They'd be going into 1411 which is only going to be running a e3b16g in a pretty tame setup.

If the JEs are in good shape, they'll be for sale for fairly cheap if anyone is interested.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/03/10 05:00 PM

The JE's were junk. When the oil pump went out on that engine, things got screwed up pretty bad. I kind of expected this. I've decided i'm going to take the "virgin" block out of 555 and have it done up.

With that, i suppose i'll use this time to take inventory of what i have, and what i need. This will be my checklist.
Let's see... for this new build i have:

NEW PARTS
==============================
Full gasket set
Nippon MLS HG
OEM Timing Belt
SI Valves
SI Guides
3g Lifters
Mahle 4032 Forged pistons (3.385") with pins/rings
Eagle H-beam Rods
ARP Mainstuds
Clevite Main & Rod bearings (std)
ARP Headstuds
Balance shaft eliminator
ACT Flywheel
ACT 2600pp
ACT 6puck solid hub disc
OEM TOB
Unorthodox adj. Cam gears
Innovate LC1 WBo2 w/blue digital guage
Megan Racing 3" downpipe
3" catalytic converter (may help pass emissions)
3" resonator (will be used as cat replacement)
Walbro 255LPH HP Fuel pump
Spearco 2-120 FMIC (from MachV)
2.5" Short route stainless piping / T-bolt clamps / Couplers
JayRacing alternator relocation kit (STEEL)
Ebay special Oil Cap
Hal's legendary -10AN Breather Oil cap
1g Short Shifter
1g Auto alternator
Remote mount battery post (for battery relocation)
Prothane motor mounts
Fuelab Mini AFPR and -6AN Russell ProClassic hose/fittings
Fuelab 515 Fuel filter
Filter to rail feed line -6AN Russell ProClassic hose/fittings
GM IAT
4 bar MAP
ECMTuning SD cable
Tial MV-r
-4AN Wastegate water lines
-6AN Turbo water line
-10AN Turbo oil return line & fittings
The valve cover is almost brand new. PO paid over 300 for it less than 2 years ago.
Optima yellowtop battery
NGK plug wires
JMF Plugwell cover
Custome 4" aluminum intake pipe
K&N - metal top
Scirocco radiator

USED PARTS (mostly from 1411, some from other sources)
=======================================================
Garrett GT3076r BB 700177-13 60trim 59.83mm ind. 76mm exd.
FP30 Turbine housing
Earl's inline turbo oil feed filter
FP Race Exh. Mani
38mm Tial gate
HKS SSQV
MSD 96lb/hr (1000cc) Injectors
DSMlink V3
Blitz SBC-iD
Blitz Power Meter-iD
Blitz DC-II turbo timer
Apexi EL 1200c EGT
VDO Electric oil pressure gauge
Dual A pillar pod
Shaved/polished 1g intake manifold
KYB AGX struts
1g AWD DSM Eibach Pro-Kit front springs
1g AWD DSM rear springs
Unorthodox underdrive pulley
90 OFH w/AN -8 Adapters
90 Oil cooler w/AN-8 Progold lines and fittings
Water pump (~1000 miles on it)
Non Cruise throttle cable
93 Headlights
4 - bolt rear
5 spoke 15" wheels (no-name wheels only 11-12# ea. w/o tires )

NEED TO GET
================================================

Oil catch can

That's all i can think of at the moment. Suggestions are welcome. If anyone has any of the parts i need, feel free to let me know.

Turboman_456
(Junior Member)
09/05/10 12:50 PM

Now wash it

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/06/10 06:20 PM

JayRacing Alternator Relocation test fit

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/21/10 01:09 AM

A couple things back from machine shop today, and some things that will be going into the car.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/03/10 08:19 PM

Spent about 2 hours yesterday, and about an hour today, doing this...

I found my hacksaw after doing two of them, and getting halfway through another. If i'd had a working sawzall, or a body saw, it would have been MUCH easier. You can see that the tranny mount was much easier, as i started with the hacksaw, thus the clean cut on the old mount. The first one i did was pretty easy, using an air hammer and a sharp bit, but i won't be doing it that way ever again. If i'd had a press, it would have been simple.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/05/10 02:02 AM

I got this stuff put together tonight.
Took my time, made sure thrust was at .005" clearance. Made sure everything was right and tight, and clearanced and aligned properly.

I did a little more cleaning in the engine bay as well. I still have a long way to go.

misfitsnemesis
(Junior Member)
10/05/10 02:44 AM

Nice build.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/07/10 12:34 AM

Thanks.
I would have had the head on and taken some photos of a little progress, but the douchebag i bought head studs from a while back apparently sent me his used JUNK, and i had to order new ones. Looks like a few more days delay.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/07/10 02:16 PM

Junk? What was wrong with them? I've seen ARPs live a long life.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/07/10 02:31 PM

I inspected them before installation, and some of the threads are completely buggered up. I'm not about to put this thing together with something of questionable quality. I'll be putting my aluminum JayRacing alternator Relocation kit on ebay soon as well. After reading about their breakage problems, i'm not about to risk that either.

Whoodoo
10/07/10 10:23 PM

So where's the alt gonna go? Is there any room for it up front with that big ol' turbo and intercooler?

raptorWagon
(less than one year to my birthday)
10/07/10 10:54 PM

Looking good!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/08/10 01:37 AM

Quoting Whoodoo:

So where's the alt gonna go? Is there any room for it up front with that big ol' turbo and intercooler?

I'll be doing one of two things.

1) just buy the jayracing STEEL alt. relo. kit

2) make my own out of steel

I'm thinking i'll take the easy way out, since i dont exactly have a torch, plasma cutter, or access to machine tools.
I'll probably just buy the steel one from jayracing.

They really should stop selling the aluminum relo kit.

Whoodoo
10/08/10 10:06 PM

I didn't know there was a choice. And yes, if the aluminum ones are breaking, then they need to do something to fix it.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/09/10 10:49 PM

I went and picked this up today. Thanks for this one go to thedsmguy.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/15/10 08:36 PM

My b0rked turbo showed up today. I'm pretty damn happy with the purchase, considering i expected it to be in MUCH worse shape than it is.
The compressor housing is TOTALLY re-usable, and the turbine housing is just incredible. I should have bought one of these for my 3076r long ago.

OLD turbine housing - some reworked mitsu stock cast garbage

NEW turbine housing - Coated FP HOTNESS

Really can't beat it for $225 shipped, considering the turbine housing alone is $399 from FP. If and when this turbo goes kablooey, at least a replacement CHRA won't be crazy expensive. I could always just order the fp3065 chra. The guy i bought this blown up one from said they want ~$900 for one.

Yes, i know my compressor housing is FILTHY. I'll polish it up again before it goes in the car.

I just did some research on what i have here. Was it common knowledge that the FP3065 is basically just a Garrett GT3082r?

It looks like i could upgrade my 3076r to this compressor for pretty cheap now, since i have the housings and know the measurements.

AWDnoobie
(Member)
10/15/10 10:23 PM

The triple nickle is coming alone nicely. Looking forward to see the end result

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/29/10 10:29 PM
Re: 555/1000 build

Got some more parts lined up.. it'll all be coming together soon. I just have to get the rear end done before i finish up the engine and everything else. I'll have to have some things "professionally" welded, such as the aluminum IAT bung, and a bung for my EGT on the SS o2 housing. Here are some more photos. Check out the lines that came with my oil cooler... i wish they weren't well over $20 a foot or i'd have done ALL the lines under the hood with them.

-6 AN Fuel delivery/regulator setup

Setrab oil cooler with super lightweight and flexible lines.

-10 AN breather oil cap.. bottom view, with pushlok fitting i've had FOR EVER attached

Oil return line setup.. still need one fitting though.

UR cam gears and fuel filter

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/29/10 10:31 PM

Kitty for emissions test day. "Muffler" for every other day.

Semi assembled 3052 turbo... still waiting for the clamp to show up from FP.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
11/06/10 05:21 PM

I picked up another 4-Bolt rear end, complete with cups and all fasteners for ~$75 today. I saw it out at Pick-a-Part last weekend, and ran back up to Arlington to pull it this morning. I actually had it out in about 20 minutes with just hand tools! I'm pretty happy that i have a "spare" 4 bolt now. It's not like they're getting any EASIER to find. The nice thing is, it came off a car that appears to have never been modified.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
11/14/10 04:19 PM

I guess i'll put the oil pan on tonight... FINALLY.
I wanted to triple check the thrust clearance (crank end play) before putting it back together, so i went and got a dial indicator and checked it again. I've been doing it for years with feeler gauges, but it's hard to get at the top of the thrust bearing that way. I wanted to make DAMN sure it was perfect. It's a good thing i did. I popped the bearing cap loose and forced pressure both ways once again before tightening it down. I was barely at .003" before i did this. Now it's right where i wanted it... right at .004". Luckily i didnt have to wet sand a thrust bearing this time around.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
11/16/10 12:34 PM

WTF is this chutter?

Anyhoo, i got some more put together yesterday. I polished my intake manifold a bit more. Pointless, i know.. but i like the way it looks.

BTW, that valve cover came new from the dealer less than 2 years ago. PO paid over 3 bills for it!

4wheelsqueal
(Member +)
11/20/10 07:18 PM

build looks awesome! i daily drive 555/2000 but she's got over 276,000 and isn't is as good a condition as yours is in. good luck with the build!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
11/22/10 01:23 PM

Not much of an update, but i took some new pictures after i got my MV-r mounted, and figured out i can run my FMIC plumbing a bit shorter of a route.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
12/20/10 08:25 AM
Re: 555/1000

Wow, i just looked at this and realized it's been a month since i made any progress, other than putting 2g style injector clips on my engine harness, and getting some welding done on my FMIC.

I *hate* holidays. Such bullshit. Holding me up spending money on my car and getting it on the road.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/20/10 07:59 PM

hey man. at least your doing it. i love the build. any progress is progress. no matter how small. something my uncle used to tell me. if you never start. youll never finish. i love the build and keep us updated

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/18/11 08:57 AM

Haven't done much. Ordered water lines for the wastegate and some custom AN water line stuff for the turbo as well. Should have that done late next week, i suppose. Maybe i'll get the parts by this weekend though. That would be nice.

Here you can see how i cut the factory engine support bracket to better suit my needs

and here.. finally got the STEEL jayracing alternator relocation kit, mounted it, and got a belt to fit my setup

turbocharger is all cleaned up.. it's got some miles on it, so i hope it lasts a while... i need to start saving for my GT3082 CHRA now, i think

and one more just for good measure
This one illustrates (quite well) the belts (with size visibly printed on them) which are needed to run a 7g PS pump as well as a Jayracing Alt relo kit with a UR Underdrive pulley.

I'm hoping to drop the engine before the end of the month. I'm just being VERY particular about things and money got tight around the holidays.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/24/11 11:21 PM
555 of 1000

I got my water lines and fittings in recently, so i've been working on getting the wastegate and turbo fed.

You can see the one water line for the wastegate has a fire shield on it... i didn't want it getting too hot behind the manifold. The wastegate water lines are just PTFE -4AN with swaged ends, and a -4AN to 3/8 barb adapter on one end. I ended up running a factory water pipe after all.

The turbo water line that goes from the water pipe to the front isn't permanent. That's a PTFE line with regular screw on ends stuck on it for fitment/testing purposes. I didn't want to run regular rubber braided line to the turbo, because of how hot it gets. I bought this shit line from some company called Votion, and it's fucking impossible to put it together as they explain it. It was supposed to go together as kind of a ferrule setup, but it does NOT work. (correction: i actually got it put together, but it turns out the fittings are crap, so i can't use this line anyhow) I've ordered a couple fittings and will build a -6AN line out of standard stainless braided line, with 45 reusable ends.

Water pipe adapter fitting is M14x1.5 to 6AN
Turbo adapter fitting is M12x1.5 to 6AN

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/28/11 10:00 PM
555 of 1000

Original window sticker thing:

bazeng
(work in progress)
01/30/11 02:54 PM
Re: 555 of 1000

Very coool build mate....

Looking forward to see it in the car!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/06/11 11:04 PM

It's in!
Unfortunately, i fucked up my back a bit today as well.. but the engine IS in, finally! I tapped a hole for my EGT, just past the turbo because i've seen too many probes break off and wind up killing a turbocharger. May end up having to weld a bung, but that will be easy when the time comes.

Someone recently said the prothane mounts are a real bitch to set the engine in on.... boy were they right! You "MUST" lube the mounts in order for them to go together right.

Finally, it's bolted in completely!

Looks like an alternator swap out wouldn't be so hard after all.

Now i've just got to figure out my intercooler plumbing, and a few more odds and ends.. should be good to go!
It should be on the road by next month.

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
02/07/11 10:32 AM

Looks good, glad to see things are coming together.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/15/11 01:00 AM

Made a little progress over the weekend. I Mounted the 4bar MAP sensor, the IAT, got the FPR mounted on the firewall (this took some bracket modification and i had to cut/assemble the fuel line). I got the Fuel filter to rail line put together, hooked up a bunch of electrical, and got the Scirocco radiator hooked up with what seems like a viable solution. I thought i was going to run the civic radiator, so i had bought silicone rad. hoses. I ended up using the lower for the upper, and modified the upper, and used it along with the "S" out of a factory nonturbo water pipe mid-span.

I still need to get the FMIC plumbing figured out, and mount an oil cooler.. as well as make a solid bracket for the radiator... then i can put the fascia back on so it looks presentable. Once i get a tranny put in, i'll toss the hood back on and get ready to fire it up!

Whoodoo
02/16/11 10:07 AM

Lookin better every update man. Why wait to fire it up until the tranny is in?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/16/11 03:37 PM

Precisely how do you propose i get the starter in place to turn the flywheel in order to start the engine? Hold it by hand?

Barnes
(Firechicken)
02/16/11 03:44 PM

Quoting mitsuturbo:

Precisely how do you propose i get the starter in place to turn the flywheel in order to start the engine? Hold it by hand?

I've actually seen this done. I do not recommend it. I had a buddy that could not for the life of him track an engine leak coming from the back of his block. He had removed and installed his tranny like 3 times trying to figure it out. So finally he got fed up and decided he needed start the engine with the tranny out, and he did exactly as you describe. It was pretty scary. Good news is he figured out his leak.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/18/11 02:51 AM

Well, that's just crazy, Barnes. I'm not doing that shit without a lot of beer in me first, and i'm not starting this for the first time while being drunk! So it's not gonna happen.

I was looking for a better solution than i had for an intake pipe, and came across the STM 4" intake pipe. I won't link it, because IMO they don't deserve the extra attention, but let it suffice to say that i kinda copied what i saw on their site. I ordered two parts... an OBX (junk when under pressure, i know) 4" 45 silicone coupler, and a 4" 45 aluminum pipe... which i WILL polish. Still, I've to shorten it a bit on each end, and figure out the fitment more precisely, but this should work out quite well.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/09/11 10:21 PM

Got the intake pipe cut to length, and a filter put on it. I still need to polish the intake pipe.

I got some other goodies this evening and put them on as well. Got new NGK wires, and a JMF plug cover. I also cut the Vibrant stainless 2'5" L pipe to length for my hotpipe. I still need to polish the hotpipe too. I would have gone with aluminum, but i couldnt find a 90 with a long enough leg to meet the turbo. Oh well, stainless seems to not transfer heat as much, so hopefully it'll be more impervious to turbine housing heat.

Still waiting on my 3' chunk of turbosmart 2.5" silicone, so i can cut some nice couplers. I also still need to figure out what i'm going to do for the cold pipe and a BOV. I haven't decided yet, but i think i want to keep running the SSQV. I really like it, and read all sorts of issues with Tial gates and springs. I've never had a problem with a SSQV. Ever.

Oh, and i still need to pick up a DSM water neck/filler cap. I'm also thinking of saving for a new tranny before i fire this thing up. We'll see how things look around the end of the month and everything else is done.

Couple other things i have to address are the fuel pump, and the catch can setup for the breather style oil cap. I've got a few hundred bucks to go before i'm ready to fire it up, and that's not considering a transmission, of course.

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
03/11/11 12:37 AM

very nice, did you use any of the piping included in the fmic kit?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/11/11 01:54 AM

Actually... no, i didn't. I'm going with all stainless. I just polished the hotpipe tonight, as well as the intake pipe, and i'm thinking i'm going to order a 45 stainless mandrel bend for the cold side. I have a mild steel 45, and one stainless 45 already. I mocked up a coldside setup this evening, so i know my layout.

I "could" have used the piping that came with it, but i didnt want to. It even fit ok, really. I'm just being SUPER picky, and dont want aluminum pipe because it oxidizes and starts looking cloudy, whereas stainless doesn't do this as badly. Stainless can be polished and stay that way better, as well. Another HUGE reason i didn't use the piping that came with the FMIC, is that i didnt want ANY silicone "bends". The only couplers i'll be using are either straight, or high quality hump hoses.

I'm going to replace the intake and hotpipe pics this coming weekend with the polished, finished product.

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
03/11/11 09:46 AM

it looks good.

Boostdtalon
(Member +++)
03/11/11 10:00 AM

Looks awesome. Its good to be super picky with this kind of work. Your less likely to cut corners that way.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/19/11 07:36 PM

Got some more goodies today and yesterday. It's hard to believe this pile is $650 worth of shit. Between a $500 battery setup, and a $100+ catch can.. then all the little nickel and dime shit, summit racing decided i'd spent enough they love me and gave me a free hat!

4 post battery switch. This thing is a beast, but it will get the job done!

This is going to be my catch/breather can. This thing is awesome. I dont see there being ANY chance of oil entering my intake if i decide to run a hose from the bottom hole of this can to the intake pipe. If i want to run it as just a vented breather, that should be no problem too.

I took the foam out of it (pain in the ass to do, btw) so i could get some shots of the inside. This thing is far better than i expected it to be, with the baffling and such. I just have to figure how i'm going to mount it, now.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/20/11 05:02 AM

Oh, the 250a circuit breaker is already broken. Merely trying to put it on a piece of wire and torque down the wire retaining bolt resulted in the entire case basically shattering. It sounded horrible, too. FLEabay part failed before even getting it on the car. DO NOT BUY THESE!

That was the one part i cheaped out on, and look what happened. $12 bucks down the shitter. I've since ordered a "stinger" circuit breaker which seems to be of similar, yet far better design, and accommodates 1/0 gauge wire as well. I'm hoping this $34 circuit breaker from a "name brand" company will be of much higher quality than this shipwreck freight type of shit.

I bought a 140a circuit breaker a while back, but it's the 2 "pole" type, with a nut, and the poles on it are just so small. I just saw it as being the "weak link" in the battery setup, so I decided it wasn't worth using with 1/0 gauge wire. Maybe i'll toss it in the monty once i put an amp and subs in the back.

The 17 foot ground wire i got is to be grounded along the body on the way to the engine bay, and then terminate at one of the starter/tranny bolts, most likely. I want a nice solid ground throughout the chassis, so as to eliminate any question about the charging system and ground supply from the battery.

Any further suggestions regarding the battery wiring are more than welcome.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/20/11 08:27 PM

Why are you going to so much trouble with the ground? Run the ground from the battery to the rear shock tower and call it good. Just make sure you sand the paint down to bare metal at the connection point. I can do a continuity test from there to a ground location at the front of the car and don't see any significant loss. I just use 2awg wire for both ground and power. Never had an issue in 1051 or 503. And 503 sees some cold temps and nasty weather when skiing. Starts every time.

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
03/20/11 08:35 PM

Definitely run more than one ground if your relocating to the trunk.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/20/11 09:20 PM

Well, i've got the wire now, so i may as well have a ground run up to the block. I certainly don't think it's going to harm anything, and since i'm already running the + wire, i may as well do the - the same time the carpet is all torn halfway out.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/20/11 09:38 PM

You do realize that the entire unibody is made up of large pieces of steel welded together to form one single conductor though, right? So if you attach the ground at the rear, or at the front, it doesn't really matter. That's why the ECU is grounded right next to where it mounts. I mean, there's no harm in it other than the little bit of added weight of the wire and more work for you, but I don't see the need for it.

Man, I should probably take a break from the forum. I'm starting to feel like a real asshole lately with all my negativism.

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
03/20/11 09:47 PM

Quoting Curtis:

I would but not to many people like those lawnmower batteries. I being one of them. Track car may be fine but I know of 3 or 4 cars that had those little turds and always had weirdo problems. One was a bumped compression evo with a buch of upgrades. Had drivibility issues as well as starting problems. sad when you have a 40K+ evo and makes over 700 to the tires but can't start and burnt up 2 factory starters before he realized I was right. Put in the big red top and has zero problems.

Now for the guys with batteries in the trunk or guys planning on putting them there.

Please for the love of God run another cable from the ground back up front. To optimize an electrical system for a stereo people will run huge fricking wires from there battery to the amp but leave the stock wires on the battery and even smaller wires from the alternator. But will put an upgrade alternator on. Think use the brain .

Best way to do it is take on of those screw in lugs from auto zone that go in the side post gm batteries. Find a hole with a nut welded on the backside of the firewall or fender well and drill out and re tap to that size. Then for the 12volt pos buy a distribution block/bus from a stereo shop that has a piece of phenolic resin or heavy teflon/abs to separate from ground. Get all this mounted nice then start running cable.

First huge 2-0 from distribution block to starter. Then another factory cable or a huge from alternator to little fuse block piece on the top of your battery now. I think there's 2 or 3 fuses on that piece. Now run a huge cable from the 12 volt block in the inter fender well through the big rubber plug up next to the top of the door and into the car. Run this down under the carpet and around the corner of the backseat into the truck corner.

Next is the ground side. Run it from the battery to thew trunk floor and find a place to connect it. Then forward stopping at any and every bolt hole you can find until you hit the side post deal you bolted on. You can daisy chain them or find the crimp on lugs that can be opened up and just strip out a section of insulation and attach as you go. Now that its upfront get a ton of ground wires or one of those kits on ebay and run grounds everywhere. Don't forget the t body, trans, cas, head, intake manifold, valve cover, mount next to the alternator. Etc.

Reason being is copper flows about 7 or 8 times the amount of current than iron or steel. The guys with a battery in the trunk and only a ground to the floor are hurting gas mileage, giving weirdo problems and not optimizing the system. cause back there you have one thin piece of sheetmetal with maybe 10 spot welds and a ton of seem sealer to flow around.

If you want to not believe me and aren't scared to do math click below. Maybe that will change your mind.

resistivity click me

By just adding a bunch of ground wires. My wifes Honda passport picked up 3mpg on the interstate and her next truck the xterra picked up almost 2mpg. Now the VR4 didn't matter but I did see alot faster starting, better driviblity and alot of idle wub wubs went away when I did all mine.

Anymore to this you could had a big circuit breaker, battery cut offs, then larger wires to fuel pumps and hidden switches going to the fuel pump relay, ignition transistor, etc as an anti thief device.

As for the wire bigger is better but don't get home wiring with 8 or 10 strands get welding cable from a farm supply or some of the sexy oxygen free stereo cable. I used stereo stuff mainly because I had it. The city had an auction and I was helping them by cleaning out the cars. The cops got sick of me bringing them more and more stuff to log in as the setup day went by so they told me to throw it all away. I had the trunk of the vr4 full of drug dealer stereo install kits as well as 4 amps one being a memphis bell class d. Lets here it for law enforcement.

EBAY LINK for ground kits

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/20/11 09:53 PM

Well it works on both my cars without issue, and without loss of gas mileage. Hell, 1051 gets over 25mpg when cruising down the freeway. I guess I'm lucky.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/20/11 10:13 PM

Quoting turbowop:

You do realize that the entire unibody is made up of large pieces of steel welded together to form one single conductor though, right? So if you attach the ground at the rear, or at the front, it doesn't really matter. That's why the ECU is grounded right next to where it mounts. I mean, there's no harm in it other than the little bit of added weight of the wire and more work for you, but I don't see the need for it.

Man, I should probably take a break from the forum. I'm starting to feel like a real asshole lately with all my negativism.

I don't mind it. You're keeping things interesting around here today.

I know the wire isn't necessary, because i was just grounded to the bumper bolts in 1411 and it worked fine. I also once pulled well over 30mpg on the freeway with it like that. But, I figured if i'm going to tear into it this way, i may as well go all out on it. There is a possibility I won't run all the way from back to front with a ground. At the very least, i'll have an extra chunk of 0 gauge wire hanging around, and i certainly can't see any harm in that.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/20/11 10:35 PM

I think the bumper bolts are probably the worst place in the trunk for a ground, as has been proven by many that have tried it. I'm surprised it worked as well as it did. Maybe when others try that location they're not sanding away to bare metal and assuming they'll get decent conductivity.

I don't care if you wanna go the extra mile on wire. I was just giving my first hand experience regarding such things. It's not as bad as a ski rack for looks.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/20/11 10:40 PM

Well, when i used the bumper bolts, i chased threads, cleaned bolts, and ground the body, and both sides the plate that goes on top, all round BOTH bolt holes. Maybe i just did something others had not done. It worked ok, but i sometimes wondered if I shouldn't have done more. Now, i've got proper parts to do as i see fit, and then some.

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
03/20/11 11:06 PM

Quoting turbowop:

You do realize that thin carbon steel is not the best conductor of electricity and especially spanning over a larger distance and with having to find its path thru some stitch welds? Further, I'm sure you're familiar that with DC, voltage drops relatively quickly in a short distance on the positive side and that grounding is probably one of the most important aspects in low voltage DC? And finally, electronics and small motors (pumps) are especially sensitive to having good grouding and especially the newer stuff (may not be as applicable on these, but still)...Just 'cause something is getting you by for now, why not cover your bases for the future? As in, when rust starts occuring between these sheetmetal pieces, at the welds (let's say), guess what happens?

as for the ECU being grounded next to it's mounting, sure, but what happens when you move your ground source from relatively close to many feet away?

Point is, you can never have too many (good) grounds and you'll thank yourself later when you don't have to deal with mystery problems. Like I said on these it may not be quite as bad as something newer (that has and relies on way more electronics), but it doesn't hurt.

I think it's past your feeding time, pigzilla and that's why you're pissy

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/21/11 12:12 AM

Well it works for me on two separate cars. And I've used multimeters to check the resistance afterward when doing so with great results. Fawk.

Time for dinner.

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
03/21/11 12:25 AM

Yeah, it worked on #20, as well, but to be on the safe side I want to run some daisy chain setup, as other cars I've had with batteries in the trunk caused some weird issues that were fixed with better grounding. We have enough problems with these 'old cars' as it is, lol.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/21/11 01:25 AM

When I bust out the multimeter and do a resistance test between several ground locations around the engine bay and trunk there is zero. I'm guessing that would be difficult to improve upon? Is this pretty much a case by case basis on these cars then? Or am I doing the wrong type of test? I'm no electrical engineer, but I figure I have the basics down. This, coupled with my two cars working properly is why I figured the excess grounding wasn't necessary. I'm genuinely curious.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/21/11 01:29 AM

I have to wonder if rust isn't an issue for some cars and their grounding. This car won't have a problem in that category. Not in the least.

JNR
03/21/11 03:15 PM

Quoting turbowop:

When I bust out the multimeter and do a resistance test between several ground locations around the engine bay and trunk there is zero. I'm guessing that would be difficult to improve upon? Is this pretty much a case by case basis on these cars then? Or am I doing the wrong type of test? I'm no electrical engineer, but I figure I have the basics down. This, coupled with my two cars working properly is why I figured the excess grounding wasn't necessary. I'm genuinely curious.

You are right in checking for (closest to) 0 resistance...Just curious if you're checking from one end of the car to the other (like taking one end of your MM on the engine ground let's say and the other on the trunk metal somewhere)? I am surpised you would not get any resistance over that distance though and if that's true then you're in good shape. As I mentioned, you may be alright, but to me just seems there are so many things that could go wrong down the road that chasing down would be PITA. To me, the most critical things that need a really good ground are the ECU, fuel pump and engine in general (ignition) and maybe some of the sensors (engine). We're lucky that our electronics are pretty crude compared to some of the crap they put in newer stuff!

Yeah, my car worked also with just grounding to the rear strut tower, IIRC (bare metal, tight connection), but then again I have a feeling it would be even better electrical performance/reliability with ensuring the ground 'system', so to speak...Sometimes I overdo things though in the name of making sure everything is close to 100% and things like grounds, you can never have too much. However, it's like sound/heat insulation, where there's a balance in excess weight, too...Electrical/electronics are not a super strong point with me, but just have had some weird/bad/intermittent experiences there on other vehicles and one of those things I don't want to worry about

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
03/21/11 03:30 PM

Yeah, dude. From the negative post on the battery in the trunk to any factory ground location under the hood I get zero resistance...on both cars.

I don't think we have a lot of ground issues on these cars as long as all factory ground locations are clean and tight. I can understand other cars, but I'm not talking about those when sharing my experiences here.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/21/11 05:53 PM

I appreciate the feedback/banter here. Having read all of this, i may just run to a large clean bolt like the strut tower, or maybe a rear seatbelt bolt in the floor. I'll have to see what i want to do once the carpet is all pulled back for the + wire that is running up front to the single post junction block where it will meet with the factory 4 fuse block and other wiring.

1qkfwd
(Member)
03/21/11 07:25 PM

The cars looking good so far. Gives a motivation to want to get my together sooner.

Turbowop you beat me to the punch on the roof rack for looks. Ive read that now notice every 4door has a stupid ass rack and wonder, whats that for.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/21/11 08:25 PM

I think the stainless IC pipe bends i ordered for the cold side arrived today. My 340lph fuel pump is on its way as well. Looks like i'm going to have to tear into this thing pretty good again next week. Lots of work to do in the back of the car now, what with the battery relocation and the fuel pump install/rewire. After I get that all done, and get my breather/cap/separator plumbed and mounted, i'll start on the interior.. there's some cleaning (PO had let a dog in the car.. hair everywhere) and start mounting/wiring goodies like the WBo2, gauges, and blitz SBC-iD Power Meter-iD and DC II turbo timer.

I should have plenty of time to get all this done, since the next major purchase is going to likely be a stage 3 sheptrans or similar. I'll probably have to save for 4 to six weeks to be able to afford that outright.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/22/11 04:29 PM

:facepalm:

My two 45deg 2.5" mandrel bends showed up alright... and they are aluminum. I failed to read the auction properly. Now i have to order 304 stainless mandrel bends from votionspeed, i guess. So stupid of me. I searched ebay for "stainless 2.5 45" and assumed the auction was for what i wanted. WRONG! It simply contained 2.5" stainless t bolt clamps... and they're REALLY shitty ones, at that.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/26/11 11:15 PM

Got my battery switch mounted. Now i just gotta wait for it to warm up so i can remove the tail light and get the plastic shavings out that the drill left.

I still need to figure out how to keep the battery box from rocking/distorting when i bolt it down, as it's on kind of a "hump".

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/08/11 01:50 AM

I got my AN to NPT adapter fittings today, so i decided to make sure i'm going to be able to mount the breather can/oil separator where i want it. I need to have a little aluminum tab welded to the bottom so i can bolt it to the top of the tranny mount with an existing bolt/hole. Here's the mockup.

I've got a -10AN bulkhead fitting on the way too, so what i'm going to do is put the long side inside the intake pipe after i put a slashcut on it. I'm hoping this will help pull a little vacuum out of the separator can, and aid in relieving crankcase pressure.

Nartanian
(Wears Turbo Chrysler Emblems with Pride, Watches Soap Operas all day.)
04/08/11 01:09 PM

This is a sweet build. Looking good!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/10/11 03:14 PM

Inventory, take two:

ENGINE:
Full gasket set
Nippon MLS HG
OEM Timing Belt
SI Valves
SI Guides
3g Lifters
Mahle 4032 Forged pistons (3.385") with pins/rings @ 8.5:1
Eagle H-beam Rods
ARP Mainstuds
Clevite Main & Rod bearings (std)
ARP Headstuds
Balance shaft eliminator
Unorthodox adj. Cam gears
Unorthodox underdrive pulley
Prothane motor mounts
7g Power steering pump w/4 rib belt

TURBO/INTAKE/EXHAUST:
Magnus SMIM
70mm S90 Billet Throttle body
FP Race Exh. Mani
Garrett 700177-13 GT3076r BB 60trim 59.83mm ind. 76mm exd.
FP30 Turbine housing
FP Stainless 2.5" O2 housing
XRP 20 micron inline turbo oil feed filter
-4AN oil supply line
-10AN oil return line
-6AN Turbo water lines
Tial MV-R wastegate
-4AN wastegate water supply lines
Megan Racing 3" downpipe
3" catalytic converter (may help pass emissions)
3" resonator (will be used as cat replacement)
3" mandrel bent catback - magnaflow muffler
Spearco 2-120 FMIC (from MachV)
2.5" Short route stainless piping / T-bolt clamps / Turbosmart Couplers
HKS SSQV
Custom 4" aluminum intake pipe
K&N - metal top

FUEL:
JayRacing 340lph fuel pump
Fuelab 515 Fuel filter
-6AN Stainless fuel line from tank to Fuelab filter
Fuelab Mini AFPR and -6AN Russell ProClassic hose/fittings
MSD 96lb/hr (1000cc) Injectors
Filter to rail feed line -6AN Russell ProClassic hose/fittings
Non Cruise throttle cable

MANAGEMENT/ELECTRONICS:
ECMlink V3
GM IAT
4 bar MAP
ECMTuning SD cable

Blitz SBC-iD URAS D1 Edition (AEM Oil pressure and Fuel pressure sensors - 5V line drop for power to sensors - Oil & Fuel pressure display on SBC-iD as well as 12v+ voltage)

Blitz Power Meter-iD URAS D1 Edition
Blitz DC-II turbo timer
Apexi EL 1200c EGT
Innovate LC1 WBo2 w/blue digital gauge
Clifford matrix 3.2x alarm

BREATHER:
Hal Landry spec -10AN Breather Oil cap
-10AN Icore Progold breather lines
Moroso 85471 oil separator/breather tank
-10AN slashcut bulkhead fitting in intake pipe (old setup)
-10AN Vibrant Exhaust evac slashcut (new setup)
Almost new factory valve cover (PO pd over 300 for this in 2009)

COOLING:
90 OFH w/-8AN Adapters
90 Oil cooler w/-8AN Icore Progold lines and fittings
AFCO Scirocco radiator
Silicone hoses
185 thermostat
New water pump

BATTERY/ELECTRICAL:
JayRacing steel alternator relocation kit
New alternator
Optima yellowtop battery
Stinger 250a Circuit breaker (0AWG in/out)
KnuKonceptz 0awg +/- battery wires
NGK plug wires
Moroso battery box
Moroso 2 circuit battery switch
Moroso long battery lever kit
Single pole battery/wiring junction block

DRIVETRAIN:
Shepracing Stage 4 transmission with double synchros throughout, (evo3 input/1st, evo3 3/4, 4 spider center, REM ISF, LSD insert)
ACT Flywheel
ACT 2600pp
ACT 6puck solid hub disc
OEM TOB
New 2g Slave cylinder
4 Bolt rear W/4WS
Stainless clutch flex line
MT spec 3000GT short shifter
Solid shifter cable mount bushings
Solid shifter cable bushings

SUSPENSION/STEERING:
Sparco L505 (Lap 5) steering wheel
Energy suspension front LCA bushings
Whiteline 22mm front swaybar
BC RM Series coilovers
5Zigen FN01R-C (1051's old wheels)

COSMETIC:
Zaklee clear camgear cover
Aluminum spark plug well cover
LoTek Dual A pillar pod
93 Headlights

There may be more I'm forgetting. I just wanted to put this here so I could go over it again later, and update. I don't want to forget anything.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/12/11 11:48 PM

So, i decided to upgrade my whole fuel line to -6 AN. I ordered the hose from Jeg's last week, and had hose ends and the adapter i needed on hand.

I didn't want cushion clamps all the way up, though. I didn't want the possibility of the line sagging to nag in the back of my mind all the time. So i took a cue from what i've seen some nascar teams do. I decided to run a "safety tube".

Here are some pics. The welding turned out like shit where i welded it to the car in front and back, but it will hold, and it's out of sight. At least in the middle i was able to just bolt it up to a factory threaded hole.

I've not yet got all the cushion clamps in place in the rear, but i got a couple done and was able to put them on factory bolt holes as well.

From the front, under passenger side.

From the back, under passenger side, fuel line crossing over to driver side.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/10/12 10:01 PM

I'm finally working on the car again and hope to have it up this summer.

I got the IC plumbing all done. I may need to utilize a couple of hump couplers, but at least i got the SSSQV IV and my Moroso oil separator/breather/catchcan all set up.
The 4" intake pipe has a long -10 an bulkhead fitting inserted, which is slash cut, to try and create a little vacuum for the oil separator, and thus the crankcase.

It looks a little different than before, because i decided i wanted to use a Moroso oil separator. I didn't like the Stef's unit, because it had NPT threads, and the Moroso has -12AN male fittings on it already. Much easier to deal with.

Next, i think i'll clean up a DSM radiator cap/water neck and put it on, then do the battery mounting and wiring.

JNR
01/10/12 10:03 PM

Holy blue balls batman!

he he, j/k

Looks like it's starting to come together...need to read more of these so I can do something on mine (did sand the v/c today if that counts)

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/10/12 10:06 PM

Oh yeah. I still have to polish the moroso oil separator and the IC/intake plumbing.

JNR
01/10/12 11:37 PM

when do you anticipate it starting up? Be a cool moment!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/11/12 12:02 AM

Awesome build very clean.. Can't wait to see more pictures.. I'm going to stay tuned to this.. (:

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
01/11/12 11:39 AM

Why cant I find something this clean?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/08/12 12:29 PM

Alarm and remote start are 90% installed now. Just need to wire the "neutral safety" wire to the parking brake, tuck the wires away more neatly, and put the dash back in. After that, i can put the carpet back in. I cleaned it a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately i did not take a "before" pic, but i can tell you it was the absolute dirtiest carpet i've ever seen in a gvr4.

Well, here's an "after" pic, at least.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/13/12 10:30 AM

Found out last night that the PO had replaced the hood. I think maybe the battery blew up at some point, because the fuse block and wiring that is associated with it, which bolts down on the battery post, has been replaced. Also, the large under hood fuse box cover is slightly distorted/melted. The hood does not have the extended area which pushes the hood pin switch down, so i need to figure out something for that, so the alarms work properly.

Once i figure out the "kill" circuit on my battery switch, mount the radiator, mount the battery box, do some welding on the exhaust (v bands) and rewire the alternator (because it's been relocated), i think all that's left is to figure out what i want to do for a transmission. I don't want to run any of the 3 stock transmissions i have lying around, because i don't think they'll hold up for very long. I don't think any of them have ever been rebuilt, and one of them has a cracked bellhousing. Some asshole worked on this car before i got it, and didn't put "the special bolt" in the back lower side of the bellhousing.

mooserage
(New Title)
02/13/12 03:37 PM

The car looks like its coming along nicely.

A lot of people just unplug and remove the hood alarm button. Mine worked fine for a couple years that I owned it, then one day just decided it would start randomly going off whenever it felt like it, so I unplugged it and problem solved.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/14/12 01:16 AM

I'm trying to use the factory hoodpin switch in conjunction with the aftermarket alarm. Much like i've done with the doors and the trunk/boot.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/22/12 10:46 AM

Got the dash and carpet put back in.

Got the battery wiring done. Just need to mount it with the box now, and hook up a "kill" circuit. I'm using a relay which will likely disconnect a ground to the main MPI relay in order to cut the ignition when the switch is turned off.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/01/12 12:55 PM

Got these yesterday.

Shep stage 4 transmission, w/evo3 input, 1st, 3rd, 4th, double syncros throughout, 4 spider center, REM ISF process, and front LSD insert.
Afco Scirocco radiator.

Note: PHONES ARE NOT CAMERAS

IanM
(Member)
03/01/12 01:20 PM

Beauty.
Glad everything got there okay.

Your engine bay won't look so empty now.
Best of luck,

Ian

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/22/12 01:22 PM

Someone asked me about the short-route plumbing.

This is about the shortest route i could come up with, i think.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/04/12 10:58 AM

Last few days i've spent a few minutes each evening trying to get all the aftermarket wiring put into place. I extended the wiring for the relocated alternator. I just have to get some split loom to cover it now.
I mounted the fuel and oil pressure sensors.

Also, I fabricated a new visor to house my Blitz power meter, and boost controller and mounted it. Now i just need to make a passenger side visor to match, with a lighted mirror. Should be easier than this one i just finished.
But first, I've got to get this stuff all set up and operational. I have to connect 12v +/- to the 12v-5v line drop, 5v +/- out to the AEM 100psi sensors for fuel and oil, sensor output wires to the Blitz in the visor, other wiring to the ecu for the power meter, and get power to the LED footwell lighting i've put on the driver side. (Not sure about putting a light on the pass side yet.. lots less space over there.)

The hard part isn't making the connections. That's easy. The hardest thing about doing all the wiring, is making it nice and tucked away neatly, rather than just crammed under the dash somewhere it may come slithering or falling out later. If i have to go into it later for some reason, i don't want some birdnest falling out of there where i have to decipher what goes where!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/04/12 05:07 PM

I haven't done much with this in the past 2 months, but i did spend 2.5 weeks in cambodia during this time.
I also just bought a new Velosteraptor (Hyundai Veloster), so anything requiring money is on hold. I still hope to roll it out of the garage this summer some time. I did manage to mount the transfer case the other day. Just need to fill the gearboxes, and do some little bits here and there. Vac lines, hose clamps... you know, the annoying shit that if you don't go over meticulously, will always result in some little pain in the ass leak or something.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
07/03/12 11:50 AM

Finally clamped down the intercooler plumbing, the rad hoses, heater hoses. Just have some vacuum lines and wiring to do, now. Oh, and i'm rebuilding the exhaust. Once i get wheels and suspension, i should be rolling it out!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
07/23/12 11:48 AM

I didn't like the press bent 3" exhaust the car had when i got it. So, i built another one with 3" aluminized mandrel bends from Columbia River Mandrel Bending. (mandrel-bends.com)
Awesome place to order from. I spent about $25 more than i needed to because i wanted to make sure i had enough supplies in one order. They had my order at my doorstep the next day when i got home from work! $99 for four 45's, 4ft of straight, and 2 18 degree bends. I wound up using two 18's to go under the driveshaft, and 2 45's to go from the diff to muffler. Now i just have to get it hung properly, and weld it all together properly.

I also got the front bumper put back on. It doesn't look the greatest, but i hope to someday replace it with a JDM one anyhow.

And here's one that best represents GVR4's everywhere! JSB cru hollur!

Puertorican22
(Junior Member)
07/23/12 12:31 PM

Beautiful...Very nice build

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
07/23/12 12:34 PM

Haha I love that last pic

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
07/24/12 05:59 PM

The shitty restrictive catback setup i took off the car in favor of a full mandrel bent setup:

Vr4junkie
(writes like a tard)
07/25/12 02:08 PM

Build is looking awesome deffently get some videos of this thing in action.

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
07/25/12 05:42 PM

First time i've been in here...nice work man. I love the visor mounted electronics. Very stealth.

boostin4door
(Member)
07/26/12 02:45 PM

Love the build!

MarsBars
(Member ++)
07/26/12 02:58 PM

Quoting mitsuturbo:

Nice hiding spot! I really like that idea!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/02/12 10:07 PM

I Finally finished building a new exhaust.
How's it look, guys? I think i managed to tuck it up under there pretty far, and it won't bang around on anything or rub the shaft.

I'm not awesome at welding, but this thing isn't going to leak or fall apart. I welded in stainless V-bands where i can put a cat if i need to. I've a cat lying off to the side, with the flanges already welded on, and I've test fit it. IDK if that resonator, or "bullet muffler" will quiet it down any, but at least it makes for a good 'test pipe'.

The exhaust is 3" mandrel bent, all the way back. Typically i see 2 45 angles used to go under the driveshaft, and 2 more 45's to connect to the muffler. I managed to do it with 2 18 bends under the driveshaft, and 2 45 bends to get to the muffler. I figured less bend = less restriction.

Barnes
(Firechicken)
08/02/12 11:42 PM

Should have angled your muffler.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/03/12 12:21 AM

Why the hell would i want to do that? Personal preference, i guess, but i think it looks kind of flash and stupid when people do that, especially to our cars. An angled muffler looks a little less retarded on a DSM, at least.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/03/12 01:16 AM

Sarcasm meter fail.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
08/03/12 09:07 AM

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/03/12 10:02 AM

Quoting turbowop:

Sarcasm meter fail.

Dammit, i knew i should have posted this instead!

Tre3zy
(correct me if im rite...Wyldcarz been rolling hard for a long time)
08/03/12 11:46 PM

Quoting Barnes:

Should have angled your muffler.

JamesFoster
(Infamous BMX Master)
08/07/12 06:38 PM

Awesome thread. Makes me jealous and want to really start tearing into my VR4.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/10/12 05:58 PM

Wednesday night i actually started the car and ran it for a minute or two. I haven't put any coolant/water in it yet, but it doesn't appear to be leaking any oil. That's a good start!

It started right up, but then wanted to die. I didn't bother checking Link, because i thought it was all set up on the old car for 1000cc injectors and GM MAF. Well, funny thing is... I dont remember changing anything, but when i checked, it was apparently set for 450's and a stock MAF. Timing and Fuel maps were the same as before, though. So, once i figured out it was flooded as hell, and after a backfire that scared the living shit out of my neighbors, i pulled the plugs and cranked it over a bit with the resistor pack and coilpack unplugged (so no fuel or spark). Then i dove into Link, and found my version of V3 was so old, there was no SD option present. I had to update firmware, and my software. Apparently i bought V3 when it FIRST came out and it didnt have the options i needed to be utilizing built-in yet. Once i got the fuel and airflow monitoring set up, it started right away and idled!

I revved it a little bit, but nothing too crazy. I got it somewhat warm, but not up to operating temp. I still want to rewire a couple things in the cabin. Need to clean up the back seat and put it in, clean up the interior (doors and rear deck), and set up some vac lines. When i started it, the BOV wasn't hooked up yet. Once everything else is done, i'll fill it with coolant, and go over pretty much every nut and bolt ONE MORE TIME... then maybe take it for a drive and break the engine in the way it should be!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/11/12 03:39 AM

Hole in the fucking transmission.. YAY!

Fuck.

So, i ran it up to about 100mph on the jackstands, just easily running it thru the gears, earlier.
I go out about an hour ago.. hmm, what's this oil on the ground? Fucking gearlube from the transmission. The outer most housing is cracked. Maybe it happened in shipping, maybe it happened when the PO rolled the car.. I hove no idea. I just know i have to fix it now.

Fortunately i have 3 or 4 spare outer covers. I'll be putting another one on tomorrow, after making sure there's no oil on the mating surface, and applying some grey permatex. A minor setback, but completely unexpected. This is an almost brand new Shep stage 4 trans. Dammit. Not even on the road yet, and i have to fix this shit. I thought about JB Weld, but i dont want to risk it eventually leaking from the crack.

This is absolute horseshit. Time to finish this bottle of Powers!

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/11/12 02:12 PM

Meh, not a difficult fix, especially if it's already on jackstands.

I had to swap output shafts with the trans in the car before. After getting it all back together I never had any issues with the case sections leaking. At least it's just the outer cover and not one of the other pieces. If you had to replace one of those you'd have to reshim the trans.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/12/12 01:23 PM

Looks like it must have happened while being shipped. I can't see any marks in the aluminum that would indicate any metal contact, like from a jack or something. You can clearly see it was dented in, though. By something.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/13/12 10:29 AM

It's fixed now. No more leak!

I've filled it with water/coolant now, and am doing some more testing while it's still on jackstands. Making sure there are NO LEAKS whatsoever.
I still have to finish setting up the wideband, rewire a couple of things (including the fuel pump), and it will be ready to roll out.

I've run it until the cooling fan came on AND SHUT OFF a couple of times. It sounds good. It idles well. Maybe i'll drive it by next month!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/25/12 09:49 PM

I've put about 3 miles on the car now. Engine "break in" is just about done. Next week ill be getting the licensing taken care of, try to tune it on SD so it runs well enough to pass emission, and then start worrying about things like alignment, camber, rewiring the fuel pump, washing the windows, finding a new rear speaker grille... the really petty shit. As of now, it runs pretty well. I'm starting from 0 with link v3 right now, basically. Wish me luck!

JNR
08/25/12 09:54 PM

Congrats on getting it running and driving and just take teasy for awhile to work out the bugs and stuff. Hopefully I'll be next, as it's getting real close!

matt92vr4
(Member ++)
08/26/12 08:00 AM

Congrats!

Whoodoo
08/26/12 10:43 AM

kartorium
(hillbilly racer)
08/26/12 11:16 PM

Get lightness, it becomes the weapon, the greatest offensive power!!

Looks good dude!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
08/26/12 11:23 PM

Nice engine bay, the outside looks just like mark's car.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/26/12 11:54 PM

That's because they're my old wheels.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
08/26/12 11:59 PM

Haha Nice, so what do you have on that car now mark, the stockers?

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/27/12 01:13 AM

Yeah. Not to highjack Anthony's thread, but I don't really need to make 503 all racy with wheels and shit. I just have the stockers on it and figure the 5zigens would be better suited to somebody trying to make a nicer GVR4. The sale of those wheels also allowed me to put a few dollars in the bank and paid for a used version of DSMlink 2.5 for 503.

JNR
08/27/12 10:20 AM

[edit - oh, thought this was talking about 1051? Didn't you get some jdm yo aftermarket mesh wheels for that one?]

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/27/12 10:40 AM

When i say it's done, i mean it's drivable after 2 years of JSB.

Now i have to get the car registered/legal and TUNE IT. A trip to the dyno will probably be in the spring.
I'll probably add an alc/meth system to it before too long.
I need to get a new steering wheel. I hate the white one.
I need to get BC coilovers or better.
I have to get paint and body done, maybe after i get some JDM bumpers.
It needs a windshield.
I need to fix the door locks, (outside) even though i'll probably never use them.

Then i believe it will be pretty much 100% done.

Barnes
(Firechicken)
08/27/12 10:41 AM

I hate those wheels!

Because they aren't on my car.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/29/12 12:11 AM

Quoting JNR:

[edit - oh, thought this was talking about 1051? Didn't you get some jdm yo aftermarket mesh wheels for that one?]

The fuck are you talking about?

unistylef
(Member)
08/29/12 11:34 AM

Car is lovely... btw what are the wheel/tire specs? I like the way it looks!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/29/12 02:18 PM

5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 @ 35 with Kumho Ecsta MX 245/40/17

Keep in mind the alignment is WAY out as far as camber goes, both front and rear. The rears need to come out a bit, and the fronts need to be pulled in a bit.
I'm not sure when i can afford a set of BC coilovers, but if i don't get them soon, i'll try camber bolts up front to start with. I have adj. rear control arms as well. I just haven't cut the spacers to the right size and put them in yet. I was planning to do that with a set of BCs.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/30/12 10:49 PM

click

video of the car running

The Kelford 272's are a LOT more lopey than the FP2x cams i had before.

MX4
(Member +++)
08/30/12 10:55 PM

Engine bay is looking mint. Nice work.

What springs/retainers did you go with for the Kelford 272s?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/30/12 10:57 PM

Supertech duals with Ti retainers.

DynastyLCD
(Dissapointing Member)
08/31/12 08:38 AM

looks super clean, the cams sound great!

any plans to dyno, or hit the track with this?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/20/12 12:48 PM

Both, eventually. I have to get it dialed in so it runs right. I think i'm going to toss some 450's and a stock MAF on it one day soon. I need to get a baseline on my "airflowperrev" so i can dial the VE table and injectors in properly with ECMLink and the SD setup. I suppose with a stock maf and injectors, whatever Link says this value is, is what i need to shoot for with my VE table. Then, based on that, dial in the 1000cc injectors so it runs with proper A/Fr and throttle response.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
10/08/12 06:08 PM

Looks ok, i guess. It's on jackstands again, though. I'm doing some transmission work, and for first oil change i'm pulling the pan and checking everything. I'll put up a post in Member's Rides section once it's finally registered, tabbed, and insured.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/12/13 10:38 AM

I replaced the Shep Stage 4 gearset with an Ultimate ratio gearset from Jack's. I made sure and included the double synchro 1st-4th, and evo3 fifth gears. Synchros engage MUCH more smoothly, and there's no annoying noise from the trans now, like the Shep gearset had.

When i took it apart, i found that the REM ISF process had taken some material from pretty much everywhere on the input and intermediate shafts, so tolerances were a bit looser than "factory". I would NOT recommend anyone have this process performed.

I'm not really driving the car yet, as it's STILL not registered/plated. I'm in the process of negotiating a short-sale on a home, and it's outside the area which requires emissions be done. SO i'm going to wait until i get moved to register it.

I also removed the ABS last week. I would advise anyone else thinking of doing this to do it while the powertrain is NOT in the car, if at all possible. It's perfectly doable with everything in there, but it's not a lot of fun.

Also, since last post, i put in a Sparco Lap 5 steering wheel, and threw the old white Grant GT wheel in the trash.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
04/12/13 11:38 AM

KG looks fresh, MT.

You seem to do the needful, always

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/26/13 12:03 PM
Re: 555 of 1000 - Finished (video)

I actually drove the car to work today.

Still need a few things. Fresh paint, minor body work, windshield, 91 tails, JDM hood and bumpers, BC coilovers, and need to get the cobra rotors now so i can put the 3k brakes on the front (i have the brackets and calipers already).

faqinshiet
(Member +)
08/26/13 12:11 PM

Looks damn good!!

G
(JDM Unit)
08/26/13 04:37 PM

Sounds nice!

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/26/13 05:57 PM

Oh, i wanted to mention that the crankcase evac setup i put together seems to be working really well so far. There seems to be enough vacuum generated with the slashcut bulkhead fitting in the intake tract that it's drawing oil vapor into the separator, and i have yet to blow out a dipstick. The dipstick in this thing is pretty old, and would easily blow out if there was a little crankcase pressure with nowhere else to go. My stock breather tube is completely plugged off, and i kept the PCV valve.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
11/28/13 03:25 AM

you still got that ski rack laying around somewhere?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/23/14 08:53 PM

Oh god no. The first thing I sold off this car was that awful thing. I can't believe people pay good money for that shit.

I will be selling the suspension off of it pretty soon. That's something actually useful! It's what the car is sitting on in all the photos here.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/21/14 09:38 AM

Winter upgrades are nearly complete. Just waiting on a few things. I hope to roll out to some sausage fest car meet on the 29th, but don't know if i'll make it. Here are a few of the goodies that should be buttoned up in the next week.

Magnus SMIM
New stainless cold side FMIC pipe with IAT bung and 50mm BOV flange
Turbosmart RacePort BOV
70mm throttle body
FIAV blockoff
external FIAV module
BC RM inverted ram Coilovers
Cusco front STB
Whiteline 22mm front swaybar
Whiteline 26mm rear swaybar
Moog end links front and rear
Rebuilt front LCAs with Energy bushings
TechnaFit stainless brake lines all around
Had the FP exh. manifold ceramic coated (original coating was shit)
New mani-turbine bolts/washers
New XRP 20 micron inline turbo oil filter and AN adaptor/fittings from head (no more banjo junk)
relocated the oil separator and replaced it because it had a leak
MAP CAS cover

I'll take some photos once it's all put back together. Until i get a new BMRS hose i can't mount the oil separator. I'm also waiting for bolts, washers, a gasket, rear swaybar end links and a JMF coil pack bracket before i can get it done. They should all be here from summit and extremepsi pretty soon.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
03/21/14 12:27 PM

what's this car meet? Maybe I will try to go and meet you there.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/16/14 03:52 PM

Winter upgrades have been done for a while now. I've finally got about 500 miles on the car since I bought it.

A few updated photos for the forum:

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
05/16/14 04:03 PM

Car looks super nice, well done dude

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
05/16/14 04:36 PM

Looks super clean, dude. Did you ever source a set of mint tails?

362Ryan
(Not Newbie)
05/16/14 05:09 PM

Your car looks great. Hoping that Andrew gets 461 on the road again so we can get a triple KG photo op.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
05/16/14 05:14 PM

now thats a good looking ..... dog. car looks ok i guess.. haha.

nice work, everything looks great and very clean.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/16/14 07:53 PM

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Looks super clean, dude. Did you ever source a set of mint tails?

nope. Going with the 93s, but I'm modifying a non vr4 set.

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
05/16/14 09:56 PM

Nice job Justin.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/17/14 02:35 AM

Thanks a lot for the compliments, guys. I just finished cleaning up and painting the rear calipers and rotor hats. After I had fixed the steering wheel and stalk clicker alignment. Also did a little fine tuning for idle and coast down. It's running pretty well. I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm taking it out to a couple meets this weekend. It will be interesting to see what others think of it.

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
05/17/14 01:22 PM

You going out to the DSM meet at Alki today?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/17/14 01:59 PM

Yeah. You?

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
05/17/14 02:36 PM

I didn't get the vr4 finished in time, but I'll be stopping by after work

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
05/18/14 11:11 AM

Hey it was cool to meet you Anthony, very nice vr4 too. I took a photo, nothing great. There's too many evos in the way. That spot would be good for photos in the future.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/19/14 08:31 AM

I find it hilarious yet a little disturbing that NOT ONE evo owner opened their hood. Even more funny, is the fact that one of them actually had a CF hood (not a dry weave, either) which would have ADDED weight to the front of his car, as well as looking like total shitrice.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/12/14 03:34 PM

Just an interior shot from yesterday.

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
06/12/14 10:20 PM

That double din doesn't quite fit if you haven't noticed.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/04/15 09:25 AM

Some stuff happened, some trades went on, and i wound up with a few different parts. Machine shop that did the work for me a while back... well they kinda did a shitty job.

So i dropped a 2.3L in this thing a couple weeks ago, with some other updated parts as well. FIC 2150's and rail, Magnus V3 cast (which i polished), ported head, beehive valve springs.

I think i need a bigger turbo. First, i need a good tune. I may just take it to English. I dunno yet. I'm gonna need an alky/meth setup next.

It's got 7 miles on the new 2.3L setup.

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
06/04/15 09:36 AM

Looks very clean

G
(JDM Unit)
06/04/15 12:09 PM

Looks real nice!

CheapTalon
(Member)
06/04/15 02:45 PM

That rear sunshade tho!

citymunky
(Fake Title)
06/04/15 10:55 PM

That grille tho!

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
06/05/15 01:43 AM

That V3 manifold tho!

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
06/05/15 10:19 AM

Looking good Justin, can I buy it?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/10/15 12:30 AM

Thanks for the compliments.
No, Turbro, you cannot buy it.

I cleaned it up a bit after putting 25 fairly hard "break in" miles on it. Constant accel/decel. I figure i'll put about another 25 on it, then change the oil and clean the inline turbo filter out. I'm sure there will be a little bit of shit in there. It's not tuned right yet by any means. So far it's putting down maybe 350 to the wheels, having seen only 22psi thus far.

I waxed the car. I can't remember last time i waxed a vehicle. 1997, maybe. Haven't done the trunk yet, or the rear doors. Maybe tomorrow...

Also, that's not a crinkle in the fender above the corner light. It's some glare or reflection.

I need to get the tails sorted. The chrome bezels have got to go. I'm just going to have someone paint them. Someone who knows how to properly spray automotive paint. The stock 92's look like shit IMO. They're an embarrassment. Also, the tune... ugh. I'm starting from scratch now, with the 2150s and the magnus v3. Everything is all out of whack. It'll get there, someday. I should just take it to english and get a baseline done on their dyno and go from there.

Over this past weekend, i went to PnP and picked up a pair of horns off of a 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. Installed them, along with a couple of relays since they seem to ground through their mounting location. They're LOUD. Sounds like... well, an old domestic car. Very much out of place on this early 90's japanese shitbox... and totally awesome.

Thanks again for the criticism and comments, guys. It's all welcome, positive or negative.

BENE38A
(Slanging Kiwi parts)
06/10/15 01:27 AM

you have a good eye for detail Anthony.

transparentdsm
06/10/15 09:41 AM

Car looks great.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/03/16 10:52 AM

I got some goodies i need to install.

1. Fluidampr
2. Kiggly HLAR
3. THIS:

Also picked up a methanol tank and solenoid. Now i just need to get a pump, nozzle and some other odds and ends to get that put together.

Yohler
(Junior Member)
05/04/16 10:21 AM

Nice. Where did the Wilwood brakes come from?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/04/16 10:39 AM

I ordered the 13" track kit from TCE. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1270 shipped.

transparentdsm
05/04/16 11:00 AM

you sick bastard you. i love your car. i want to repaint my car so so so badly.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/04/16 11:07 AM

I need to do the same. I need to start thinking about getting it in for a full refresh on paint and body.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/22/16 01:46 AM

My first trip to the 1/4 mile strip in about 10 years resulted in some decent (and embarrassing results).
I drove the G to work yesterday at about 5:15amto be in at 6. I work in Redmond, which is about 20 miles away. As I was driving back roads, from Monroe to Duvall, I was doing a mental check list. I'd been up late finishing wiring on the kill switch so it would kill the car and not just cut off the battery +, and I'd had one too many double IPAs. My brain was functioning a bit slowly. I get to Duvall and slow from a 55mph zone to a 30mph and realize "FUCK, I forgot my helmet." I drive 12 miles back to the house to get it, and wind up at work around 7am. Work day flies by, and I leave at 230 to the track for TnT. Get there at 330, pay the fees, get teched (lazy fuck didnt even check my kill switch... real confidence inspiring work, bud) and park to wait for TnT to be called.

First run: 13.3 @ 111.5 1.9 60'. Spun thru 1st, and wimped it into 2nd.
Second run: 13.6 @ 113.4 2.1 60'. Spun worse thru 1st, failed harder at grabbing 2nd while bouncing off 8250 revlimit.
Third run: 12.9 @ 114.9 2.2 60' More wheelspin. Decided to lower launch from 5500 to 5k.
Fourth run: 12.7 @ 115.7 2.1 60' Wheelspin again, but an almost decent shift to 2nd. Lower launch to 4500.
Fifth run: 14.699 @ 108.6 2.6 60' Minor wheelspin but i had my hand on the shifter thinking i'll short-shift into 2nd, and i pull it right out of gear at 6k. FML.
Sixth run: Feels awesome. Spun first a tiny bit about 30 ft out. Snagged 2nd at 7500 perfectly. Spun 2nd a tiny bit. Ran it up to 8200 in 2nd and 3rd. 4th felt a little flat when i grabbed it, but MPH seemed high. I was moving, so took the long rundown exit. Get to the slip booth, and the girl tells me "sorry, this one didn't print, i screwed up. If you want to know how you did, go to the 3rd floor in the tower."
I go to the top of the tower, and this girl working there is scrounging around "Where the hell did i put the Test n Tunes? I just had them!" for like 5 minutes. She finally finds the printout... "Did you run against the same car twice?" To which i reply, "Yes, I did". She's like "Shit, IDK which one it is, do you know what you ran last time?" I tell her 14something. Then she goes "oh, here it is" and she writes this down:

I had to check the printout. Twice. I couldn't believe i had run that well on my own street tune, nothing but pump gas, and my 6th pass after 10 years of not being to a track, in a new car with a totally new setup. I was ECSTATIC!

I don't think 11's are too far off.

tl;dr = I ran 12.1 @ 116.3 with a mediocre 1.8 60'

bazeng
(work in progress)
05/22/16 05:56 AM

Congrats!!
Car looks great!

Looks like a great street car you have there!

Yohler
(Junior Member)
05/22/16 08:22 AM

Nice pull. Now I won't feel so bad once I get my turd to the track it has been probably just as long for me. How much boost were you running?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
05/22/16 11:30 AM

12.1 on pump in a full weight Galant is a great time. Congrats, dude.

More seat time, better fuel, and higher boost will all help to you get into the 11s. You got plans for any of those?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
05/23/16 08:34 AM

Just more runs, better tuning. Possibly methanol injection. Staying on pump gas most likely.

Gizmovr4
(Member +)
05/24/16 10:35 PM

Nice to see a clean car making passes at the track - 11s are in the future !! Great job !

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/14/17 10:40 AM

Quoting Yohler:

Nice pull. Now I won't feel so bad once I get my turd to the track it has been probably just as long for me. How much boost were you running?

23 psi

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
04/14/17 11:12 AM

I ran some more low 12s last season as well. 12.1, 12.2, 12.3. Best mph was 118.
At least i was getting more consistent. I'm getting new tires this season which will help a lot.
Installing this seemed to help a bit as well.

transparentdsm
04/14/17 11:39 AM

GOOOOOOOO!!!! i want me one of those..

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/22/17 11:55 AM

Car is running pretty good. New personal best ET and MPH, again.

I don't want to cage the car, so it looks like i'm about done with drag racing this car. First pass that day was 11.7. 2nd pass was 11.48 and the safety guy came and told me i had to leave. I told them i'd slow it down, so they let me run some more, but at the end of the day i decided i was tired of braking at the end of the track, i guess. Oops. That ended my night.

Wheel spin, and bog into 2nd - One of the slower runs i made on June 16, 2017

Here are the 2 runs that got me sent home, as well as another that i had lowered boost on significantly to try and keep the ETs over 11.49.

Video is 11.9 @ 125.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/22/17 12:03 PM

This was my final slip, (partially covered in prior photo) and was one of the best races i've had so far. Vs a turbo mirage on slicks.
There's plenty more boost to be had, but I'm pretty sure one pass is all I'd get. Not worth it for the price of entry, unfortunately.
Maybe one of these days i'll go get myself a 10 second slip. A minor turbo upgrade will be happening in the not too distant future. Going from a gt3076r to a gt3082r

transparentdsm
06/22/17 02:28 PM

Damn!! Nice numbers. Looks like that clutch is treating you well. How is driving on the road with that clutch??

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/22/17 02:36 PM

I'm getting used to it... i don't mind it except in heavy traffic it's kind of lame. Still better than a 2600 though.

transparentdsm
06/22/17 02:49 PM

I'm about to go bigger turbo and I think I want one, thanks.

Edit: just bought one based solely on your opinion.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
06/22/17 04:10 PM

You bought a bigger turbo, or a QM Geardrive? I didn't see your pre-edit post.

transparentdsm
06/22/17 05:01 PM

Hahaha technically both... Bought the bigger turbo 2 months back(pte 3431 rle dbb with DSM hotside and FP manifold) thank you Nate, just bought the QM twin today.. thanks to Juan

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page