GolfBall
(Member)
09/16/09 12:22 PM
#1900 - 'GOLFBALL' build - 2.4-AUTO-NITROUS.... Street car?

UPDATE: Feb 15th 2013

BUILT 2.4
BUILT 2g AUTO
AEM EMS
E85
40psi
NITROUS on the way

============================================================
hey everybody names Josh and i finally got me a vr4 project.

saved it from a field outside dallas texas.....

Code Name is Project Golfball - due to being white and lots of hail damage dents.

I MUST WARN YOU.... THE FOLOWING PICS ARE NOT PRETTY AND MAY SADDEN YOU....

Backstory is it has unfortunately been sitting for about 6 years.... after a lot of work we got er loaded up....

\

forgot to get outta the car befor we loaded it and i got stuck.... it was interesting gettin out....

anyways got big plans for this car....

the interior is in really good shape because they had it all covered but everything else is really rough.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/16/09 12:27 PM
Re: Project "GOLFBALL" build thread.... 1900/2000

Goals:

Number one goal is i wanna make it fast
then i wanna make it look good.

going for e-85, 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, dsm link, prolly a t67 turbo, front mount.

Looks wise im gonna try my best to fix all these dents, pop em out, bondo em smooth, repaint the whole car.

Sadly since it has been sitting so long everythings got a nice heathy layer of RUST..... which sucks. the biggest victim so far seems to be the brakes.

WHAT brakes will swap into the vr4????

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/16/09 12:36 PM

Welcome to the board. The first step should be getting it running, making sure everything is sound, change the timing belt, do a compression test and fix the brakes. The stock brakes are pretty good. There are people here that make brackets for 3000 gt calipers and pretty much you name it, you can put on these if you have enough skill to make your own brackets and a big enough offset on your wheels.

Just get it running and drive around for awhile and enjoy it. Don't over do it and get in over your head. Just make small changes at first and get used to the car.

NateCrisman
(Fisheye Hoodpins)
09/16/09 12:36 PM

I suggest trying to find a cheap non rusted 1g awd parts car, just a shell without motor/trans would be great. you will find it very handy if the suspension, subframes, bolts, and such are all rusted up on this car.

Plus you can snag all the parts needed for 5lug hubs, 4WS removal, abs removal and those type of typical mods that many dragstrip oriented vr4's end up with. Get the larger rear swaybar, full set of brakes, and maybe even a good rear & axles.

good luck with the rebuild. Keep posting pics as you dig into it.

Any ideas on the condition of the original drivetrain?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/16/09 12:37 PM

Also a T67 turbo is super old school. They make alot better turbo's these days that will make much more power and spool twice as fast.

chucklesas
(Hogna Carolinensis)
09/16/09 12:40 PM

More Okies... if you need help with anything let me know. I've been playing with these cars for 10 years now.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/16/09 02:02 PM

Looks and sounds like it is in close to the same shape as my second one a year ago. After 4 months of hard work, I had a shiny coat of paint and a running car. I trusted the car to a 6 hour maiden voyage in 20* temps.

I hope you have the same luck I did

HertzGalant VR4.org Administrator
(OneTitle to rule them all.)
09/16/09 02:35 PM

$5 says the ECU is a mess. Get that thing capped and repaired straight away.

You might have better luck replacing those body panels than pushing out so many dents. I know someone in IA who has a modified hood (white)...

NateCrisman
(Fisheye Hoodpins)
09/16/09 02:41 PM

Not to mention saving the weight of 20lb of body filler!

fivestardsm
("Savior of the damned and dis-owned")
09/16/09 04:52 PM

Woot, a Vigrin!! (I mean the car, unmolested)

Welcome.

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
09/16/09 05:17 PM

How many miles? Hard to tell, but looks like driver's seat doesn't have the typical wear on the bolster; i'd say low mileage?

Did it go thru a hailstorm(s) or something? hood is easy to replace, hows the roof and trunklid. anyhow, looks like it has potential and good luck on it. As mentioned above, do all the basics first and get a solid foundation going then the mods are the easy and fun part

DR1665
(Kill him in the face with Wilson Phillips)
09/16/09 06:11 PM

I think I remember seeing that car listed here a while back. Wasn't it a soldier's car or something? I want to say I remember those pictures (or pictures like them) and the seller was talking about how it didn't run and had been hit by several hail storms while parked outside over the years.

Thanks for saving one! It's always good to hear stories like this.

Now click the link in my sig and drop me a PM.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/16/09 06:13 PM

yeah i guess i could have gave a little more detail.... i tried to post this up befor i went to work....

IM a huge car guy and have plently of mechanical and fabrication skill to take this car pretty much any direction i wanna go....

i did a full custom turbo setup on my 97 jetta vr6 AKA the screen name.... so im still trying to decide what direction i wanna take this galant.

AS FOR THE CAR....

got it home sunday night about 830pm.... got home from work monday about 6 and had the car up and driving around the block by about 11.....

seems the drivetrains ok... tranny is really difficult to shift... hear thats pretty common with 1g's....
motor sounds really strong... OH has 170,000 ish miles....

when i took the valve cover off to check everything and pour oil and what not all over so i could start it up it all looked spotless....

POWER STEERING IS GONE..... i believe the pump is fine, pulled spins true and free but i found two of the lines going under the bottom back side of the engine bay are toast and leaked all over my driveway as soon as i tried to back out and turn the wheel....

i wanna just delete the rear steer and all that stuff and just run new lines for the front.

BRAKES: Not sure what the brakes are gonna take, im fine with using stock brakes but i have a feeling the calipers are pretty trashed.... it stops fine but doesn't let off when you release the pedal.

BODY: the car went through a really bad hail storm i was told... there is hail damage on pretty much every single pannel... hahahah... SAD THOUGH. im gonna try and just replace hood and trunk but the roofs gonna have to get some lovin....

Interior is deff nice.... im really glad they covered it all up befor it got parked....

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/16/09 07:03 PM

i also have a white vr4 ....they are kool cars ...lol

p.s the white ones always go faster lmao

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
09/16/09 10:22 PM

The interior looks nice for sure, but the seats still look like the leather could use some conditioning. That back seat upright part should be wrinkly and soft. I suggest some leatherique, stat. www.leatherique.com

Terry Posten
(Old Balls)
09/16/09 10:49 PM

I second the ECU repair ASAP.

Don't make a $300 mistake.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/17/09 12:37 AM

Quoting Hertz:

$5 says the ECU is a mess. Get that thing capped and repaired straight away.

You might have better luck replacing those body panels than pushing out so many dents. I know someone in IA who has a modified hood (white)...

Quote:

I second the ECU repair ASAP.

Don't make a $300 mistake.[/qoute]

what yall talking about.... if my ecu was trashed wouldn't it not run and drive.... is this a specific to galant issue?

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
09/17/09 12:58 AM

Yes, it's a gvr4 specific issue. If it hasn't had new capacitors installed, the old ones are ticking time bombs just waiting to leak acid on the board and ruin it. Or they already have but it hasn't eaten through any traces yet. Best to get it sorted and cleaned up before any issues.

deez
(Nutz)
09/17/09 10:43 AM

Nice find! Its not that bad, it will just take a lot of time and patience to make it what it could be. As everyone has already said, do the maintenance stuff first....timing belt, tensioners, ecu caps, etc. then once you have something solid and issue free, start modding. It helps to ask the people here how to attain your goals and what steps to take to get there. Whatever your goals are, someone here has done it.

chucklesas
(Hogna Carolinensis)
09/17/09 10:53 AM

I should be able to help you out with parts since I have a parts car. I can do your caps for you as well. Even have a spare non-eprom ECU if you need to use it for a little while. Although I'll still be busy with my car the next few weeks.

Terry Posten
(Old Balls)
09/17/09 12:06 PM

The ECU issues is a 1G issue as well. Same with the auto tranny guys. They need replaced as well.

I have even started doing BMW climate control units for the same issue.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/18/09 11:30 AM

Yeah i guess i deff need to get on top of fixing that ECU problem.....

here are some more progress pics.... started taking stuff apart and diggin into the engine bay to see what i got goin on in there....

made a little EGR block off plate.... my egr was nasty dirty, im surprised if it even worked....

Pulled the charcoal filter out.... i disconnected it here i hope thats ok.... not sure where the other tube runs off too....

Pulled all the factory air box stuff out to clear some space....
If anyone see's anything that can be removed just point it out to me... .HAHAHA....

man these stock td05 turbo's are SMAAAAAAALLLL hahaha.... esp when i compare it to my jetta's t70....

my index finger bout clogges the intake....

bob92vr4
(Member +)
09/18/09 07:56 PM

i dont know if you thought of this but might hava good pdr guy (paintless dent repair) look at it and give you a estimate to repair the hail could be cheaper. just a thought. good luck bro!

GolfBall
(Member)
09/21/09 09:36 PM

i need input on what kinda turbo to go with....

thinking dsm link
60-1 maybe....
1000cc injectors
big front mount
act 2600

then new pads and rotors all around.
new tires.

then go from there and drive it to see how she holds up....

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
09/21/09 09:40 PM

We need to know your goals before we help you decide on a turbo. "Wanna make it fast" is a bit vague.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/09 09:52 PM

Quoting bob92vr4:

i dont know if you thought of this but might hava good pdr guy (paintless dent repair) look at it and give you a estimate to repair the hail could be cheaper. just a thought. good luck bro!

It would be a fortune unless you knew a guy. I just went through that. I got quoted in the thousands and that is minus the hood and trunk. Be patient and look around.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/21/09 10:11 PM

Quote:

We need to know your goals before we help you decide on a turbo. "Wanna make it fast" is a bit vague.

well i want at least low 11's...

which looking around people are doing that on pump gas and a 50 trim.... so maybe my goals should be a 10.999999999 hahahha

i am deff gonna run e85 cause i have seen all my friends convert to it and run way better everything....

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
09/21/09 10:15 PM

Weight reduction plays a pretty large role in what people run with certain turbos on these cars. Keep that in mind. Not everybody runs low 11's with a 50trim.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/23/09 01:34 PM

DSM link with eprom ecu ordered and in the mail....

gettin paid friday and gettin 1000cc injectors and a walbro fuel pump...

GolfBall
(Member)
09/30/09 11:37 AM

Got some more progress done....

manifold was dominated....

cracks all over it....

the intake side of the turbo was good....

exhaust side not so much....

got my new injectors...

little bit of a difference...

started taking some weigh off...

Piles of parts now....

GolfBall
(Member)
10/08/09 10:15 AM

Got some more parts in.....

my massive 38mm wastegate...

hard to tell but the new ones a lot more open inside (and i did some mild porting to make it as smooth as possible)

got some preliminary bumper cutting done for the FMIC

YEAH FOR THE WHINNER.... walbro 255....

gonna try again to install it tonight.... all the bolts on the gas tank are rusted out...

ScreaminE
(Just don't like an idiot)
10/08/09 02:33 PM

Let us know how that turbo holds up. That's a flea-bay special right?

GolfBall
(Member)
10/12/09 11:20 PM

you know it.... i have one on my other car for two years now and its got zero shaft play and pulls hard so i dont complain....

i mainly just wanna get it together and running then i will upgrade later....

GolfBall
(Member)
10/19/09 09:27 PM

got some mild updates.... only the pictures i had on my phone....

this is the joy i go to have trying to get the fuel pump out....

4 of 6 studs broke off..... but got the new walbro mounted up and hooked up....

made a little throttle body block off plate.... here is what the whole thing looks like...

got more accomplished but dont have pics yet.... i will take some and get em up here....

GolfBall
(Member)
10/20/09 12:22 AM

mounted up the front mount.....

got the turbo and mani mounted up ..... GOSH jrod and snax got to see how much that sucked to do....
-also got the oil lines all in and on which also sucked balls...

got the half radiator mounted up with the 12" slim fan.... still gotta wire it in....

and lastly..... got all my boost piping cut mocked up and tacked together gonna do the finish welding and polishing prolly tomm in the morning...

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
10/20/09 12:27 AM

Is the turbo oil drain actually going over and around the front crossmember? Or is it just hanging there and I can't see the unfinished end? I know there are limits as to how far rotated from straight up/down the feed and drain need to be for proper draining and that center section looks clocked quite a bit.

Piping looks nice, but maybe you want to throw one or two couplers in there somewhere. Seems like it'd be a hassle to have to remove the whole pipe to access something in the engine bay if needed.

GolfBall
(Member)
10/21/09 11:21 AM

Quoting turbowop:

Is the turbo oil drain actually going over and around the front crossmember? Or is it just hanging there and I can't see the unfinished end? I know there are limits as to how far rotated from straight up/down the feed and drain need to be for proper draining and that center section looks clocked quite a bit.

Piping looks nice, but maybe you want to throw one or two couplers in there somewhere. Seems like it'd be a hassle to have to remove the whole pipe to access something in the engine bay if needed.

yeah its a little cocked but its as vertical as i can get it without removing the front motor mount.... i think it will work worse case i will just have to redo it again....

and i dont know anything about your setup i just know on other fast cars i have had once you start running a lot of boost it sucks balls blowing off couplers.... so for me the less couplers the better.... (the piping is still really easy to remove the way it is)

UPDATE.... got a bunch more done....

finished welding up all the seems on the boost pipe and mounted up the BOV where i want it.

its gonna be low and out of the way but should be nice and loud outside the car...

then made myself a little downpipe.... wish i woulda bought some 3 " mandrel bends.... this will still flow just as good but damn is it a ton more work....

my entire boost system is 7 welds.... the downpipe alond is 10.

for now im just running it to here.... just past the motor with a turndown.... gonna be loud and fun...

then lastly i did the wastegate dump tube..... which fortunately was really really easy...

So yeah pretty darn close to done now... gotta intall the ecu and wire up the fan and stuff like that....

then as soon as my MAFT gets here, hopefully tommorrow i can start this bia up and see what happens...

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
10/23/09 08:08 PM

I like how you are making your own stuff. I'm gonna learn to weld one of these days.

Post up some vids of that thing, i'm sure it will be loud and fun like you stated above. Fly by vids a must. Preferably one fly by where the car begins from a dead stop to get the full effect. In car vid would be cool too.

Lonewolf64
(Obviously the answer is......)
10/23/09 09:09 PM

The build is looking good. Just a few comments that may or may not help. You will want to recirculate your BOV unless you are planning on running a speed density setup. At the very least you should look into upgrading from a 1g MAS to either a 2g or 3g MAS because the 1g MAS is a major restriction. With the 255 pump, it's also highly recommended to replace the stock FPR with an aftermarket unit, because that pump will overrun the stock FPR causing a very rich condition at idle.

So far so good! Congratulations on saving one of these awesome cars.

EDIT: Just noticed you are planning to use a GM MAFT. Ignore that part about changing out the MAS and having to recirculate the BOV.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/26/09 11:11 AM

Quoting fastjetta:

its gonna be low and out of the way but should be nice and loud outside the car...

GolfBall
(Member)
11/05/09 10:59 AM

this should help out a bit.... LOOKS FOR SURE.....

chopped the motor mount down.... looks wayyy better....

New knock sensor

new "race" low temp thermo.... 160 instead of 190

thanks to mitshu for making the ecu very difficult to get to....

finally got it out.. good thing too the stock ecu has some burnt circuits....

also got my battery cable run from the bay to the trunk....

Oh and removed a bunch of stuff....

here is the before

and after... (no abs, power steering, ac system)

Barnes
(Firechicken)
11/05/09 11:13 AM

I can get the ECU out in 2-3 mins. You don't go through the front, you get it from underneath.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
11/05/09 11:24 AM

Quote:

new "race" low temp thermo.... 160 instead of 190

May I ask why on this one?

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
11/05/09 11:34 AM

especially since below temp (can't remember what the temp is exactly d'oh) the ecu pulls timing much in the same way it does when it gets too hot.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/05/09 12:49 PM

Anything under 180degrees and the ecu is still in warm-up mode. I would suggest the stock thermostat for better fuel economy and power. There is zero reason to run the lower temp thermostat in a car that has properly working fans and radiator.

And yeah, the ecu comes out super easy from underneath. One bolt and one nut and the thing slides out with ease.

What's with the super thin flange on that intake? Hope it doesn't leak.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/05/09 10:49 PM

Yeah that wasn't worded right.... i was really pissed thinkin it was gonna suck balls looking at the ecu but once i popped the two bolts off and it practically fell out i felt stupid.

figured why not on the thermo.... if it runs wierd i will swap it back.... dont care about fuel economy and only running the half radiator so i wanna make sure it doesn't run to hot....

and not sure what flange your talking about on the intake?

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
11/05/09 10:59 PM

I'm thinking he means the runner flange. The one that bolts to the head. They are usually pretty darn thick to prevent warping under the heat and leaking.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/05/09 11:42 PM

Quoting fastjetta:

figured why not on the thermo.... if it runs wierd i will swap it back.... dont care about fuel economy and only running the half radiator so i wanna make sure it doesn't run to hot....

and not sure what flange your talking about on the intake?

It isn't just a fuel economy thing with the thermostat. What do you think you're going to gain by using the 160degree unit?

And yeah, I'm talking about the flange that bolts to the head.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/06/09 12:21 AM

You cant even start seeing the fuel trims change until about the 180 mark. You are goin to end up chasing your tail trying to tune the thing.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/08/09 08:52 PM

yeah if it acts funny i will just swap it back out.... no biggie...

some more new parts....

got em all installed.....

BoostedAWD91
(Senior Member)
11/08/09 09:11 PM

looking good man!! nice to see you saving a galant and making everything

chucklesas
(Hogna Carolinensis)
11/08/09 09:23 PM

I'm going to have to come by some day and check out this build. Hope to have my car running right in the middle of the week. I like those welds... want to weld a SS o2 bung onto my downpipe?

Barnes
(Firechicken)
11/08/09 09:40 PM

Oh dear, balance shafts are still installed.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/08/09 10:05 PM

heck yeah man, swing by anytime....

and yeah i can weld that up for you whenever....

GolfBall
(Member)
11/08/09 10:06 PM

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Oh dear, balance shafts are still installed.

yeah i know, i know.... just did the new belt and tensioner since it came with the kit....

then stage 2 build i will yank those out... just didn't work out to remove them this time.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/14/09 11:16 PM

got me some new wheels.... OH WAIT the douche told me they where 4x114.3 and there 4x100....

so i guess these are staying.... thinkin there gonna get blacked out though....

got my new oil filter housing and oil cooler mounted up....

battery mounted to the trunk and all the lines ran and hooked up....

now im stuck with this damn wiring mess..... 3"gm maf, gen2 maf translator and stock wiring.... BLAHHH

also got all my vacume lines ran and my slim fan wired up....

got my coolant lines all hooked up and coolant system filled.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/14/09 11:30 PM

welp since the dude sold me the wrong sized wheels.... im just gonna take the tires off em and put them on the stock snowflake wheels....

to make em look good.... did a little painting....

cleaned and prepped....

3 coats of primer....

3 coats of base and then 4 coats of clear.... and whammy, shiny new wheels.

they look pretty good, gotta let em cure overnight and might wetsand and polish tomm just for fun...

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
11/15/09 11:24 AM

I was half expecting to see something more like this:

Looks like you've got your hands full over there.

John

GolfBall
(Member)
11/15/09 11:53 AM

hahahahhaha..... i already got that going with the body on this thing by itself....

Means im gettin better gas mileage... they proved it.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/21/09 12:03 PM

fixed my oil drain, still aint gorgeous but works fine now....

gave golfball its first taste of CORN....

CHANGED...

-OIL (with a bunch of conditioning additives)
-Tranny
-Transfer case

Still need to do rear end (ran outta time last night)

[B][U]HERE IS THE BEST PART[/U][/B]

171,000 miles stock internals and head....

just did a compression test and its like this from 1st to 4th.

[B]150, 152, 150, 155[/B]

GOOD TIMES, so this means all the smokes prolly from the head guessing valve stem seals....

BluFalcon
(Fantastic Parts Seller)
11/22/09 07:21 PM

You might want to reclock the CHRA on the turbo so that the drain is facing directly down. The oil isn't under any pressure when it leaves the bearing housing, so you want the drain flange to be pretty much oriented as straight down as you can get it.

1badgvr4
(not even the right model )
11/23/09 01:13 AM

Paint the door trim ASAP.

Boostdtalon
(Member +++)
11/23/09 08:15 AM

good deal man, love the work your doing.

1990ggsxnj
(Member ++)
11/23/09 08:49 AM

Quoting 1badgvr4:

I concur. Cars always look a bit more updated and cleaner with the trim painted the same color as the car IMO.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/23/09 08:50 AM

Quoting BluFalcon:

You might want to reclock the CHRA on the turbo so that the drain is facing directly down. The oil isn't under any pressure when it leaves the bearing housing, so you want the drain flange to be pretty much oriented as straight down as you can get it.

hahah not wanting to be rude.... but i find it really funny how people keep telling me that.... like i clocked it like that on purpose....

anyways yeah thats as straight as it possibly will go cause the motor mount is in the way.... just a stupid combo of that turbo with that manifold just causes bad interference with the front motor mount....

GolfBall
(Member)
11/23/09 08:51 AM

Quoting 1badgvr4:

if your talking a out the trim around the windows then HELL YES.... thats the first thing up cosmetically after i get it running decent.

1990ggsxnj
(Member ++)
11/23/09 08:53 AM

It seems like there's room for it to point more towards the oil pan by the persepective of the photo (which may not be in all actuality). If that's the case, I would do that before pointing somewhat away from the pan first.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/23/09 10:17 AM

The drain might be OK but you really want it pointing as straight down as you possibly can. Yes th mount is in the way & just because of where the mount is located. Most of us running a larger turbo simply cut a notch in the mount to clear the drain line. It's something that's been done many times over the past 19 years without any drawbacks. I think Terry has some pictures posted, I'll try to find them.

EDIT: Found the picture

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/23/09 11:46 AM

Nice save. Love the fabrications,and the whole golfball name. Very fitting.

GolfBall
(Member)
11/23/09 03:05 PM

Quoting Garfield Wright:

The drain might be OK but you really want it pointing as straight down as you possibly can. Yes th mount is in the way & just because of where the mount is located. Most of us running a larger turbo simply cut a notch in the mount to clear the drain line. It's something that's been done many times over the past 19 years without any drawbacks. I think Terry has some pictures posted, I'll try to find them.

EDIT: Found the picture

yeah must turbo and manifold combo just must be weird caues i chopped a TON off that motor mound.... like the whole right side is gone and it still wont fit.

i basically will have to make a new motor mount or find a way to move it over.... im out of town otherwise i would take better pics to show you.

which the head it leaking (valve stem seals) anyways and smoking like crazy so im prolly gonna get the head rebuilt so while the head is off is a perfect time to mess with that mount.

BluFalcon
(Fantastic Parts Seller)
11/23/09 06:30 PM

I had a PTE turbo on my Talon and ran into the same issue you did. Rather than notch the mount, or reclock the CHRA, I used a 45 degree fitting off the drain flange to a 45 fitting going into the line. The line then went straight into the oil pan. I know that the motor brackets are different between the 1G AWD DSM's and GVR4's, but with the mount notched already it should clear with the CHRA in the proper position.

Does the car smoke @ idle or WOT? If it's WOT, then it might be the turbo causing some of your smoking issues. The first drain line I made was made using -8 line/fittings. The line wasn't large enough and couldn't handle the amount of oil going into the bearing housing @ WOT. Oil blew past the turbo seal rings and out the exhaust making a very large smokescreen. Thought I had blown the turbo, or something in the motor. Resized the line with -10 hose/fittings and no issues afterwards. With your turbo clocked like it is, and some of the fittings you're using on your return line, it's possible you may have oil backing up in the housing causing the smoke. Just something to think about if it is smoking under boost.

chucklesas
(Hogna Carolinensis)
11/23/09 06:46 PM

I think the issue probably stems from having to go from the flange, then a male-male fitting to a big-ass 90. I think if you had a flange with the male fitting on it and a 45 degree it might clear. I just happen to have an extra turbo oil outlet flange here. I'm heading out of town, but when I get back maybe we can figure that part out.

1badgvr4
(not even the right model )
11/23/09 10:22 PM

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:

Quoting 1badgvr4:

I concur. Cars always look a bit more updated and cleaner with the trim painted the same color as the car IMO.

Uh I meant paint them back black.

Adorsey
(Member +)
11/25/09 09:02 AM

^ yeah paint them black, lol.
then take off you door handles and paint those white thats something I might be doing that sooner er later.

GolfBall
(Member)
02/07/10 11:23 PM

well been a while since i updated... went wit a diff turbo and wastegate and have been waiting on parts and stuff...

so this was the old setup...

manifold sucked balls and was nothing but headaches from day one.... so i ordered a cheap tubular manifold....

it also didn't fit worth a crap so i said f it... chop that sucka up....

cut the flange off it...

then since it was a cheap mani it didn't have a external waste-gate port so i made one....

started by cuttin a whole in the collector...

then welded on a pipe and a flange i made for the wastegate....

also figured why not so i added some support bars to keep the welds from cracking from the weight.

also re-did my down pipe for the third time to work wit this new manifold....

got the windows tinted too which made it look was better... gotta take some pics.

GolfBall
(Member)
06/04/10 05:50 PM

I haven't posted in forever and a bunch has been going on.... MOSTLY life sucking and turbo blowing up...

to try and keep from blowing up turbo's got an inline oil filter...

here are some pics of it all back together....

here is where i think most of it came from, i talked to a tech at FP who knew a ton and he asked if i had my valve cover powder coated i said hes and he said to check the baffle under it for crap.... well mine had crap

finally all cleaned up...

the brakes were awefull so to fix it...

4 - remanufactured calipers
4 - SS brake lines
4 - ceramic brake pads
resurfaced my calipers

the fittings and lines on the back brakes were trash so i cut em off, re-flared the lines and put new fitings on with the ss lines.

checked my oil filter again.... still gettin junk but its gettin less and less...

lastly... put in a new aluminum radiator with slim fan and had a hell'of'a time wiring it all up for some reason my car wasn't happy using the wiring from the old fan and i had to re-wire all of it and move the temp sensor to the thermostat housing...

put in a new clutch and lightweight flywheel (dont have any pics of that one)

GolfBall
(Member)
06/04/10 05:52 PM

So quick recap:
-kept blowing up turbos (even with the inline oil filter)
-got sick of it and decided to go big with a diff motor

yanked the stock motor and trans out...

yikes what a mess hun? dont worry it will get tucked/shaved/sprayed and look awesome

new motor getting some advice from my old one...

tore the new 2.4 block apart to check it all out... (only things i will be using is the block and crank)

then tore into the old motor to get the parts off im going to be using and see what condition it was in...

burnt valves anyone...

looking down these intake runners i cant wait to start porting and polishing...

now there's just parts everywhere...

just need all my new stuff to come in so i can get this beast back on the road...

got some more done today....

threw my head on the ol' bridgeport mill for some port work

here is a fun befor picture (not the super clean part where the E85 was sprayed through my injectors

exhaust port

then got some parts in... FINALLY...

some sweet oliver I-beams

gasket set

acl race main and rod bearings

ferrea dual valve springs wit retainers

compared to the stock springs

TurboTrader
(Member)
06/04/10 10:50 PM

I'm curious. All that crap in the valve cover, is it powder coating, or is it from sandblasting, or both? Did the powder coater or sandblaster not take proper precautions to keep the crud out of the inside?

Also, I was wondering if you plan to put the inner panel back in (or fab a new one), or if it would be unnecessary to do so. Just curious and trying to learn something new. Thanks!

Looking good so far either way. I can't wait to get mine back up and running, though I'm a long ways out.

fuel
("Just to be pedantic!")
06/04/10 11:31 PM

^^ caked on oil residue.

GolfBall
(Member)
06/05/10 12:38 AM

Quoting MadBeachDSM:

I'm curious. All that crap in the valve cover, is it powder coating, or is it from sandblasting, or both? Did the powder coater or sandblaster not take proper precautions to keep the crud out of the inside?

Also, I was wondering if you plan to put the inner panel back in (or fab a new one), or if it would be unnecessary to do so. Just curious and trying to learn something new. Thanks!

Looking good so far either way. I can't wait to get mine back up and running, though I'm a long ways out.

yeah combo of old burned caked in oil and sand from the sand blasters. maybe some powder coat in there too.... im not putting mine back in and no one "needs one" but if you do take it out you need to have a proper catch can because it will increase blow by out of the valve cover breathers.

Barnes
(Firechicken)
06/05/10 01:29 AM

Where the hell is your turbo oil supply tapped from?? How is your oil filter not catching this stuff first?!?!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/05/10 08:51 AM

Question about that intercooler. I never understood the side to side flow IC's with the hot side and the cold side sharing an endtank. Is it divided internally? I hope so otherwise the air could bypass the core altogether. Before anyone says "Of course it would have to be!" I have actually seen some Ebay stuff like that.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/05/10 10:32 AM

Just checked it out from when you first got it to how its evolved from there and looks like its coming along great!! Best of luck with the build!

GolfBall
(Member)
06/05/10 12:58 PM

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Where the hell is your turbo oil supply tapped from?? How is your oil filter not catching this stuff first?!?!

the oil feed is coming off the oil filter housing.

if you figure out how the inline filter isn't catching everything and i still blew up the turbo i will pay you 500 dollars

Barnes
(Firechicken)
06/05/10 01:29 PM

Which port on the oil filter housing is it coming from?

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
06/05/10 01:39 PM

Quoting crankwalk:

Question about that intercooler. I never understood the side to side flow IC's with the hot side and the cold side sharing an endtank. Is it divided internally? I hope so otherwise the air could bypass the core altogether. Before anyone says "Of course it would have to be!" I have actually seen some Ebay stuff like that.

The inlet and outlet end tanks are siamesed together on one side but they are internally divided. The air ends up making two passes through the core. That's the way it is supposed to work at least. I hope even with the often shoddy craftsmanship of ebay stuff they wouldn't overlook something like that.

GolfBall
(Member)
08/26/10 11:33 PM

started cleaning up the engine bay
HUGE UPDATE: got a ton done but haven't been keeping this thread updated....

drained and yanked the ol' fuel tank out. its freakin nassssty

heres the new one to replace it. 16 gallon.

then all my fuel fittings and line came in.

got a little more done....

FIRST OFF...

im super pissed the paint i got is wayyy of in color. its called "WINTER WHITE" come on now. its gotta be white. nope how about sky blue.

HOW LAME. im working with the people i bought the paint from to try and get a refund.

also got the motor back from the machine shop.

got more done....

dont hate... i went for function way over form.... -12 oil drain... no more blowing turbo's for me.

v-band for the WIN....

got my down pipe fabbed

then said... why not recirculate the wastegate.

started gettin ready to slap the trans on it...

then remember i wanna weld my center diff and paint the trans before i put it on... so that ended it for the night.

so... didn't go to work and got a ton done today....

started by acid washing and power washing my trans...

then quick coat of paint...

then decided i to weld up my center diff.

not pretty but it will do the trick

threw it all back together... and put the trans back on the motor

stabbed it back into the car

finished up my down pipe for now...

wired in the new plugs for the big ol' injectors (twisted, soldered, then heat shrunk)

got my fittings all sorted for my fuel pumps... not pretty but it works (had ordered cooler fittings but they were outta stock and refunded and cancelled my order)

got my fuel feed lines and fuel pumps and inline filter all hooked up (still gotta run my return)

had midwest hose make me some new lines for my new oil cooler, got it put on...

then at the end of the night my car gave me a nice thanks for the hard work and broke the v-band when i was putting the down pipe on.

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
08/27/10 12:35 PM

Way to go man. This thing looks like it could be pretty nasty. Looking forward to vids of it in action.

rgeier11
(sled driving mullet brain)
08/28/10 07:14 PM

A lot of time and effort is being put in this build. Nice job!

Boostdtalon
(Member +++)
08/28/10 10:55 PM

Love what you've done keep up the good work!

GolfBall
(Member)
09/06/10 11:24 PM

then i mounted my gauges and installed the panel.

oh and....

[B][COLOR="Red"]18 PSI FEELS GREAT !!!!! BRING ON 30 [/COLOR][/B]

Brianawd
(Higher Launch RPM)
09/07/10 12:24 PM

That head is junk, now that you ported the floors of the exhaust ports.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/07/10 01:14 PM

Quote:

That head is junk, now that you ported the floors of the exhaust ports.

thanks for that worthless input.... i will make sure not to sell you my head then if i ever part the car out.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/08/10 08:47 AM

You should use our image hosting so that your pics don't get locked out.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/08/10 09:22 AM

yeah sorry about that...

i wasn't paying attention and exceeded my limit on photobucket. it will reset in a few days and be fine again.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/22/10 01:12 AM

So what turbo setup did you go with I just saw mention of FP but nothing else...

GolfBall
(Member)
09/22/10 12:17 PM

precision 6262 - billet non ball bearing.

got some more done...

did a boost leak test but first had to make a 4 inch boost leak tester.

then simply clamps to the turbo

then to clean up my vacuum system i was gonna buy a distribution block and then saw they were 50 bucks and said nope.... so i made one.

made a catch can the other day after work... its gonna be a real one to...

the baffle inside is where the vacuum port is to keep oil from gettin to it.

obviously none of the welds are cleaned up in this pics and it still doesn't have the vacuum port on but you get the idea.

cleaned up a bit and with my vacuum port added onto it.

got some more E-85... hehe..

NO officer... this isn't a race car, its totally street legal.

pulled my diff to weld it up...

19 years and 175,000 miles and it looks brand new...

finished the diff and got it all back together.

onesickcrx
(Brother of the Year)
09/22/10 12:42 PM

You got a hell of a setup but why 3 bolt rear and axels?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/22/10 12:57 PM

Nice choice on the turbo my boy runs the same one on his 10sec DD evo the DBB version though.
Out of curiosty though why didnt you mount the fuel cell under the car or at least do something like this

or

Brianawd
(Higher Launch RPM)
09/22/10 04:09 PM

Wow. All that work to weld up a 3bolt rear once you brake a axle you fu-ked. You will never get the chunk of axle out. You would have been better off just putting in a 4bolt now.

2of9
(Hellaflush)
09/22/10 04:24 PM

awesome progress. I was bored at work and read pages 1-4. Love to see these kinds of builds, especially that of a GVR4! Splendid job!

GolfBall
(Member)
09/22/10 08:20 PM

Quoting onesickcrx:

You got a hell of a setup but why 3 bolt rear and axels?

budget build... 3bolt rear is what it had so its what i got for now

Quoting Blown1:

Nice choice on the turbo my boy runs the same one on his 10sec DD evo maybe the DBB version though.
Out of curiosty though why didnt you mount the fuel cell under the car or at least do something like this

yeah i havn't heard anything bad about the 6262's so far. i was gonna do that and then decided i wanna drive it so kinda just mounted it in there for now. i will chop out the trunk and do it proper down the road.

Quote:

Wow. All that work to weld up a 3bolt rear once you brake a axle you fu-ked. You will never get the chunk of axle out. You would have been better off just putting in a 4bolt now.

all what work... 20 min to pull the diff and an hour to weld it up? save me the time and money of gettin a 4 bolt and gets it ready to race for now.... when it brakes i can then deal with gettin a 4 bolt.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/22/10 08:30 PM

A welded 3 bolt will probably last a hell of a lot longer than a stock open diff 3 bolt. At least the torque will be distributed evenly between them. Also, with a welded center, that should alleviate some stress on both rear axles as well.

belize1334
(well bread and nobly conceived)
09/22/10 10:51 PM

I would be worried about high pressure drop running that much air through a dual-pass intercooler.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
09/22/10 10:58 PM

3bolt axles aren't going to like parking lot turning with a welded diff.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/23/10 12:20 AM

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
If they can handle the turning, they should hold up pretty well under some torque, if everything else is equally distributed.

I did manage to snap 13 3 bolt axles before i finally got a 4bolt rear end. I beat the shit out of some 4bolts and never broke one yet.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/23/10 02:53 AM

Quoting belize1334:

I would be worried about high pressure drop running that much air through a dual-pass intercooler.

where my head is at exactly... its the next thing on the list to get upgraded

Quoting turbowop:

3bolt axles aren't going to like parking lot turning with a welded diff.

yeah it seems to be fine so far but haven't done any launches yet hahah

finished catch can pics...

Street Surgeon
(Professor Street Surgeon)
09/23/10 08:36 AM

FastJetta,

Gotta give you some props man, I'm not sure how much 4G63 experience you had but I really like the fact that you just dive right in and make it work. If it messes up, you just replace or fix it! Too many people (myself included) just overanalyze things to the point of retardedness but you just make it work. Good stuff man keep it up, and nice vid w/the viper too.

Boostdtalon
(Member +++)
09/23/10 08:49 AM

yeah this car has taken a huge turn around.

Galantvr41062
(Epic Build)
09/23/10 11:37 PM

So what is the hold up on the 4 bolt rear end? They are a dime a dozen now days, do not say AWS because you can have a 4 bolt and AWS.

~John

GolfBall
(Member)
09/24/10 12:07 AM

Quote:

So what is the hold up on the 4 bolt rear end? They are a dime a dozen now days, do not say AWS because you can have a 4 bolt and AWS.

i just had the 3 bolt so im making it work. when it breaks i will go search for a 4 bolt. i deff could car less about the aws. this is a straight line car for sure. aws is just more weight i dont want. a lot of the 4 bolt rear ends i saw weren't all that cheap.

Olson
(Pwnd by Rance.)
09/25/10 06:57 AM

Just went through the whole thread and I have to say its full of win. Love it home grown down to the basics power and no bull shit.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/29/10 02:15 AM

went to the track tonight...

link

was fun and did a really gentle 13.7 at 120... but sadly broke my trans...

so pulled my trans out tonight to see what the damage was form breaking at the track....

so guess im not rebuilding this one new built tranny FTW

bazeng
(work in progress)
09/29/10 04:02 AM

Ouch! What happened on the track? Did it just break or was it a miss shift? What's the plan on the new box?

GolfBall
(Member)
09/29/10 09:58 AM

really not positive what happened... i had a missed shift 1-2 first run... but who knows when it actually broke. i mean the trans had 175,000 miles on it so : )

i got a new trans in the works. HE HE

Street Surgeon
(Professor Street Surgeon)
09/29/10 10:03 AM

What fluid were you running in that trans if you don't mind my asking?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/29/10 10:18 AM

I've seen that shitty slider blow up far too many times. I have NO idea why they went to that flimsy piece of shit in the later model transmissions.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/29/10 10:35 AM

Quoting Street Surgeon:

What fluid were you running in that trans if you don't mind my asking?

90% syncromesh with 10% lucas i believe was the mix i was running... in the new trans i think im gonna go straight redline.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/29/10 10:42 AM

In the new trans, make sure you dont have that same piece of crap 3/4 assembly.
The earlier models have a MUCH stronger slider, and do not have a record of going kaboom like yours did.

Galantvr41062
(Epic Build)
09/29/10 09:10 PM

I run the factory Diaqueen oil in my tranny, holding up to 650awhp and shifting good at 9500rpm.

click

~John

G
(JDM Unit)
09/29/10 10:05 PM

click

citymunky
(Fake Title)
10/10/10 10:09 PM

Holy crap, this is a crazy built. I wish I can do fab work. Good job and good luck

GolfBall
(Member)
01/23/11 04:42 PM

So i haven't updated this in FOREVER so im just gonnna put em all together to catch it up to present

went to a race in lubbock tx and broke my rear axle.

pulled my transfer case and driveshaft on the side of the track and kept racing FWD

finally got a new windshield

decided to go to a big boy grown up intercooler.

a lot thicker as well

got a new 4 bolt rear end setup

all the stuff i removed putting in the 4 bolt.

switched over to some brad penn... LOVE IT

installed my massive magnaflow to quiet this sleeper down.

made some solid mounts for my shift linkage.

made some solid mounts for my carrier bearings for the driveshaft

alternator relocation kit...

deleted the massive rear bumper, yeah gettin rid of more weight.

GolfBall
(Member)
01/23/11 05:08 PM

deleted teh front motor mount bar...

with a lightweigt solid motor mount versian i fabbed up.

got my new front mount mounted..

all my new mandrel 3" pipe for my boost system

new vs old. was able to straighten out some of the bends for better flow.

2.5 to 3" really makes a diff.

cut out a hole for the BOV

other side pipe... straightened out as well.

its a little ghetto i know but im not cool with blowing of boost pipes. so i made ridges to keep it all together.

more to come...

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
01/23/11 07:07 PM

/\--- Its called rolling a bead. Nice job though. Why did you decided to use one of those bars instead of your front cross member?

Ben
(Member)
01/23/11 09:38 PM

IC piping route with that massive IC. The compressor outlet is only a few inches away from that front lower subframe with the compressor outlet clocked down. I have the same turbo, and was going to do the exact same thing, but then I found an IC setup on here that doesn't require all that. I just have to take a gamble with a Honda radiator! haha. we'll see. I have a large external oil cooler, I hope that helps.

Golfball, I never got you're name when you were here(Lubbock) I'm the guy that was on the little dirtbike. Oh, remember that guy with the red camaro that ran off the end of the track? He bought a truck from the same member on here that I bought my IC setup from in Ohio! haha small world. I'm close to being able to turn the key on with my galant and I'll be heading to OKC to get it tuned after I get some break in miles on it. I'm trying to hurry so I can make it to tx2k11 in Houston this year.

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
01/24/11 11:30 AM

Ready to see more. Looking good

Adorsey
(Member +)
01/26/11 04:07 PM

Like the build, I had never thought about the weight of the rear bumper beam. I might have to look into that.
youre firewall looks clean. love it.

GolfBall
(Member)
02/18/11 02:19 AM

Quoting Ben:

Golfball, I never got you're name when you were here(Lubbock) I'm the guy that was on the little dirtbike. Oh, remember that guy with the red camaro that ran off the end of the track? He bought a truck from the same member on here that I bought my IC setup from in Ohio! haha small world. I'm close to being able to turn the key on with my galant and I'll be heading to OKC to get it tuned after I get some break in miles on it. I'm trying to hurry so I can make it to tx2k11 in Houston this year.

Names Josh. haha yeah that was wild. cool man, well maybe we can run the galants at 2k11

GolfBall
(Member)
02/27/11 12:21 PM

re-did my downpipe AGAIN...

GolfBall
(Member)
02/27/11 01:45 PM

so figured i would give my engine bay another facelift... i still wasn't happy with it.

before

after

also lowered 2 inch's... i need a bit bigger wheel but its gettin there.

and lastly made myself a little coil on plug set up.
started with some coil packs from pull-a-part off a intrepid

mocked em up on a spare sheet of lexan i had laying around.

finished looking like this

then for fun i added a little oil cap touch.

Nartanian
(Wears Turbo Chrysler Emblems with Pride, Watches Soap Operas all day.)
02/27/11 02:49 PM

I remember when you made your 1st post on saving the vr4. Following this thread and seeing how you build this thing up from pretty much scratch is Keep it up man!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
02/27/11 02:58 PM

Builds like this are pure inspiration, awesome fab work man.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
02/27/11 03:45 PM

Nice build! i like the oil cap, adds the what the hell is that effect.

GolfBall
(Member)
03/22/11 05:35 PM

got some new wheels and droped it.

heres what they were befor.

decided they were to plain so i figured i would try out 3m's new carbon wrap.

after pic

We went down to Tx2k11 supra/gtr nationals. it was a blast.

threw er on the dyno to see what'd it do.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
03/22/11 05:41 PM

Wow i like the wrap on the wheels. Hopefully it will hold up.

Btw what did you put down on the dyno?

Jesse

2of9
(Hellaflush)
03/22/11 06:53 PM

damn, that engine bay is so clean....so clean.

OMFGeofffff
(All I want is a dodgy)
03/22/11 09:35 PM

Wow...

from this....

to this.....

INCREDIBLE

OMFGeofffff
(All I want is a dodgy)
03/23/11 12:18 AM

Is that a 2g radiator? How well does that fir compared to stock?

GolfBall
(Member)
03/25/11 12:18 AM

couple of new pics from tx2k11.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/26/11 12:27 PM

Hahaha. You can't really see in most pics how beat up the hood is, but you can see all the dents from the under side while it's open!

Is it just a reflection, or is the driver fender caved in too?

GolfBall
(Member)
03/27/11 03:06 AM

yeah this poor cars body is so dang beat up but no the drivers fender is fine. you can see in the pic right above yours.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
03/27/11 03:40 AM

It actually almost looks like that pic was photochopped with a white streak across the fender, intended to be glare. I considered this carefully before asking the question before.

It's all good. At least this vr4 is still out there, and on the road!

GolfBall
(Member)
07/01/11 03:15 PM

havent updated this in a while. Cars still running good.

i added an AEM twinifire to the coil on plug set up.... DAMN. car freaking rolls out hard now.

also it blew out the exhaust gasket again... so fixing that added to how much faster its feels as well...

i gotta go get it re-dyno'd because i would put money its almost 700 wheel now.

GolfBall
(Member)
07/01/11 06:51 PM

then here was my newest problem happened last saturday night... did a 3rd gear pull and went to hit 4th and had no power...

so gotta get a new one and should be back in business...

dewman
(searches...with eyes closed )
07/01/11 09:44 PM

Badass build,sir Can't believe I haven't come across it before now. Lol I was thinking you were cslling it the golfball because you found it out in the rough Get ya some good sturdy couplers,good t-bolts and some Aqua net hairspray.

Galantvr41062
(Epic Build)
07/02/11 01:50 AM

Do you know anything about how they had the Dyno Dynamics setup? A real load based dyno will pin point ever week point in any setup. My car was on power for 6 seconds in 3rd gear, that would normally be a 2nd threw 4th gear run. Nice numbers if you made 634awhp. Get that thing back on a dyno with the better ignition and see what it can do. Nice looking car for sure.

~John

GSNT
(Deer Slayer)
07/03/11 02:57 AM

I think a good name for the car would be "Al Dente". Sweet build, I have 1901/2000!

Boost4U
(Member)
07/03/11 08:26 AM

Awesome build. Car looks so good. You should drive it out to where you rescued it and take new pictures. I like what you did it.

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
07/05/11 02:37 PM

I like that wrap and the engine bay being black really looks good.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/14/11 01:23 AM

Quoting GSNT:

I think a good name for the car would be "Al Dente". Sweet build, I have 1901/2000!

hahaha. nice. i think that makes us practically brothers

been a while since i updated the build thread

so had an exhaust leak from the last weekend out racing so i started investigating the source.

turns out there were a lot of them.

and just for added fun this bolt siezed up when i was trying to take it apart so i had to cut it off

so got em all welded up and back together for tonight and still have a huge exhaust leak coming from somewhere... awesome. LOL.

welp... decide to do some work on the ol' s###box.

whats this... on just a factory manifold

ohhh no what happened

then spent some time cleaning up the runners...

before

after

going to buy the metal i need to finish tomm so stay tuned for some updates...

a2vr4
(Boot Strap Bill's boy)
09/14/11 02:12 AM

subscribed! dieing to see what you are doing with the manifold! great build!
~Brian A. Moreno

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
09/14/11 06:30 AM

Also very interested.

TurboTurtle
(Junior Member)
09/14/11 11:34 AM

ITB's in a box?

GolfBall
(Member)
09/18/11 01:47 AM

sorry for the really long time since my last update, i have been busy with a million other things but its not time to hit it hard on golfball, i got a tons of stuff in the works but here is an update on the new intake manifold.

stared with a stock manifold

chopped off the runner

removed all the extra brackets and unsused sections

chopped out the the part where the runners gonna fit

threw it on my bridgeport and machined it out a bit.

befor

after

then started welding er up.

SIDE NOTE, i had a bug land in my bead as i was welding, teach me to weld a night with the garage door open lol

couple of weld close ups (have only been welding aluminum for about 2 weeks now so i got a lot to learn but its coming along pretty quick and im seeing great improvement every time i touch the torch.

all put together.

on the car

used my the mill to make a throttle body flange to couple it to a 76 mm GM throttle body

Some finished pictures

then lastly something im very excited about and could potentially be a great idea for production, i used my stock Mitsubishi throttle body and chopped off the idle control motor to make a remote mount throttle control unit that will plug into my stock wiring harness but still allow me to use the larger 76 MM GM TB.

stay tuned because there should be A LOT of updates to follow.

Diego
(Mad Hatter Suite Touche Debackle Guage filled by Justin)
09/18/11 04:14 PM

Very unique

dsm10o0
(Member ++)
09/22/11 02:48 PM

man that looks like a beast!

Boost4U
(Member)
09/23/11 10:13 AM

that is a wicked looking intake manifold. good work for sure. keep it up.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
09/23/11 01:11 PM

the car is going to be a monster!!! coming along great.

AnotherNewb
(flutterdumper)
09/23/11 01:55 PM

Very out of the box route to take your intake mani, what was your reasoning behind doing a hybrid off of the old runners as opposed to an out of the box SMIM? But awesome fab work none the less.

GolfBall
(Member)
09/29/11 11:57 AM

modding the gm throttle body

filled and smoothed

part of the outside rim got really thin after removing stuff so i had to add some material

WIRE TUCK TIME

literally removed 10 lbs of stuff

finished up the drivers and passengers side custom motor mounts

Before....

OOPS hahahah

Jordangvr4
(Member +)
09/29/11 01:13 PM

Your f#$+&ing crazy,but I like it

GolfBall
(Member)
11/18/11 12:56 AM

So was gonna try and be sneaky and keep it on the dl till it was done but gave up and wanna let the cat outta the bag.

Golfballs getting a fully built auto.
-new intake manifold
-all new boost system
-new custom top mount exhaust manifold
-AEM ems - speed density
-more weight reduction

for now.

Next battle is gonna be building a new front support for the radaitor and intercooler then i can start fabbing up the exhaust manifold

so i finallllyyyyyy got off my lazy butt and spend a day in the garage. got quiet a bit done and it was all stuff i was least excited about doing so it should progress well from here.

started by cutting out some plates

welded em on

used some round bar welded to those plates with some supports for my new front crossmember

mounted my intercooler to those bars, made some bumper mounts

finished my last motor mount. so all 4 are solid mounts now. (vibrations here i come haha)

chopped the next off my new half radiator

cut out a plate to match

welded er up so its nice and flush top now

you can see now my radiator tucks back in there.

Couple ideas of how i wanna do my turbo....

look how sad she looks....

and then for a rainy day... 5 lug conversion so its easier to find wheels and tires.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/18/11 01:12 AM

You are very talented sir, I love it!

GolfBall
(Member)
12/16/11 01:55 AM

small update....

stared on my manifold but all i have pics of is the collector i made...

gave up on the rest till after christmas then im gonna hit it hard and see if i can get this pile going.

curtis
(Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic)
12/16/11 04:33 AM

So what did the radiator/headlight support/front end of the frame rails all weigh. I know you put the sheet metal on the scales.

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
12/16/11 08:57 AM

I am impressed.....Great work

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/17/11 11:31 AM

you are awsome great job keep up with the updates please

citymunky
(Fake Title)
12/17/11 12:05 PM

I wish I could weld.

citymunky
(Fake Title)
12/17/11 12:05 PM

I wish I could weld.

4thStroke
(Spence knows tools)
12/19/11 12:58 AM

What are you doing with that auto? Leaving it be for now, or sending it out to be built?

A forward facing manifold with a 4" inlet poking out of the front would be ideal.

The car is looking great, keep up the good work!

GolfBall
(Member)
12/30/11 01:42 PM

thanks for the complements everybody...

i would say i prolly dropped 40 pounds off the front but have had to add some back obviously.

the auto is fully built already with a high stall so it should haul some ass for sure and no more 2nd gear lockout. I will also be able to dig race like crazy now.

im pretty sure its gonna be an all business forward facing turbo. Im home for xmas and new years but when i get back im gonna hit it hard so there should be a lot of updates coming in the next month.

Galantvr41062
(Epic Build)
01/02/12 06:30 AM

Looking good. On the stainless welding I would up the flow rate on your regulator, post flow at least 8sec and make sure your tungsten is clean and nice and sharp. Brown is bad, good luck with the rest of the build.

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
01/05/12 09:30 PM

Looking good and admire the creativity!

For those who question why not buy, there is more fulfillment, challenge and probably gains by working with what you have and coming up with new stuff. Names are neat to throw around at the meet, but the true automotive enthuiast loves this sort of thing

GolfBall
(Member)
02/10/12 01:41 AM

DUN DUN DUHHHHHH...

got the manifold finished up, wastegate flange added...

adapter pipe with wategate flange

and got the downpipe done...

then started my oil drain... i know its funny looking but i wanted to keep it metal for a bit so the head from the manifold doesn't melt it.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
02/10/12 06:43 AM

um wow!

that is all

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
02/10/12 08:01 AM

Bad ass is a under statement. Very nice work and great welds.

GolfBall
(Member)
03/19/12 08:33 PM

got a little update. been sick for over 2 weeks and finally am feeling better so i got some garage time finallllllyyyyyy....

rebuilt my axles (they needed new boots bad)

worked on the wiring a bit... got axles in, hoses ran, stuff hooked up

got the hot side boost pipe done. its very tight radius but smooth, and hey its a bout as short of a run from the turbo to intercooler as you can

got the intake manifold painted and installed

used one of those cool therma-gaskets to try and keep intake temps down

still got some wiring to do

but hey....

at least the views pretty cool now hahahah.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
03/20/12 10:12 AM

Pretty cool is an understatement. That turbo peering out through your grill is

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
03/20/12 03:38 PM

^^The turbo peeking out like that looks awesome!

Noobsauce
(Member)
05/15/12 08:52 PM

looks sweet! I plan on cutting the front like what you have also. it was hit at the top front by the headlight and i figured i can reposition the radiator and intercooler where i want them now:)

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/06/12 02:54 PM

What's going on with this car now? It's been a while since any updates have been posted.

GolfBall
(Member)
02/14/13 01:10 AM

gots another update... finally found another few days to knock some more stuff out...

been trying to figure out what i wanna do with the shifter and got it figure out...

chopped out a nice CF plate from a piece i made

pulled apart the stock shifter...

measured it out and marked it

chopped and installed.... not perfect but good enough

got the other boost pipe (intercooler to tb) done...

all aftermarket manifolds put all the ports in the same spot. well one of the nice parts about doing it all yourself means i can put the right size port exactly in the spot that i want it...

did a little sandwich stack with my tranny cooler and radiator, then bottom right is my oil cooler mounted to intercooler. So everything should stay nice and cool.

intakes done with all barbs and 5 bar map, fuel rail and inj back in and cleaned up. tb cable sorted...

MAN she's getting close.

-wire up trans
-wire up TB sensors
-radiator hoses
-turbo drain
-swap rear diff for auto diff
-ss rear brake lines

bout it... so a few solid days left and she'd be done ready to rock

GolfBall
(Member)
02/14/13 01:12 AM

new filter set up JK

picked up some new wheels...

plasti-diped em for now

Cars so fast it decided to blow itself apart

just welded it back up for now but plan on rebuilding that whole piece out of some heavier stainless.

was messing with the boost controller and broke this fitting...

so while the cold side housing was off fixing it i threw some paint at it to make it stand out

GolfBall
(Member)
02/14/13 01:15 AM

SO...

that finally catches the build thread up to present.

CAR been running with the auto swap for a few months fighting small issue's here and there.

Finally got it lined out enough to see how it would do at the track. (i knew it wouldn't launch well)

(stay tuned for video)

but anyways, it only did a 12.5 at 125 because it 2.6 60 foot. Car only foot brakes to about 3k which only builds about a pound of boost. LOL.

SO im gonna but the bottle to IT

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
02/14/13 04:03 AM

Awesome! Cant wait to see the video.

GolfBall
(Member)
02/15/13 01:46 AM

Here is the video.

you can see how painfully slow the thing launches... but once the turbo comes on it strolls out pretty good.

click

ApexHunter
(Extreme Indoor Cyclist)
02/15/13 02:51 AM

Awesome, i've been looking forward to your progress.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
02/15/13 03:04 AM

Holy shit that thing sounds sick once it gets into full boost! did you reel in that C5 towards the end, i cant tell.

Tre3zy
(correct me if im rite...Wyldcarz been rolling hard for a long time)
02/15/13 11:17 PM

really needs that bottle to spool it up... but it moves once it gets going...

GolfBall
(Member)
02/18/13 04:19 AM

the old nasty exhaust manifold pipe that blew out at the track

got it all fixed up with some thick SS, even went a little larger pipe to help flow, also recirculated my wastegate while i was in there.

Finally got my new tires, old ones were 24.6, these are 26.1, that should help get my MPH back.

needless to say it fills the fender opening quite adequately

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
02/18/13 07:20 AM

Shit like this makes me want to build another gvr4
Sick build

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
02/18/13 07:53 AM

Love the new rims!what are those? and I cant wait to hear the new recirculated wastegate on that setup. when are you going back to the track?

thecman02
(too lazy to look)
02/18/13 10:43 AM

My friend was able to get boost to build when they got an arc2 ignition box. Then you will build so much boost you'll have to install a vacuum pump to help hold it back at the line :-)

GolfBall
(Member)
03/04/13 11:48 PM

went out and did some tunning and got it running solid... then went and raced a 1000whp truck and got a got a solid win..... WHILE blowing a head gasket.

got it apart and man did i blow a gasket and torch the head in the process..

it wasn't that deep (forgot to take a before) this is cleaned out ready for welding.

Welded it back up thoroughly and re-decked it. Got a new expensive billy badass head gasket and did all the black magic tricks to all the stuff using all i have learned from the gurus to re-seal the head. I think its staying down this time.

Got a bunch of goodies im dong this week to be ready for 2k13 so its game time

Gizmovr4
(Member +)
03/05/13 08:12 AM

I like the power combination of this car especially the auto! What class will you be running at the shootout?

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
03/05/13 09:40 AM

When you say ready for 2k13 are you referring to TX2k13?

Gizmovr4
(Member +)
03/05/13 09:45 AM

I thought he ment shootout - but likely ment TX2K13. Still what class do you plan to run in?

GolfBall
(Member)
03/05/13 09:46 AM

Quote:

When you say ready for 2k13 are you referring to TX2k13?

Yes indeed. my car group/club whatever you wanna call them from oklahoma city are bringing a bunch of bad ass cars down there.

Cant wait to put a hurting on some people

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
03/05/13 01:25 PM

OMFG!! I can't wait to see ya there, will you be attending the Dyno day? If so we're all meeting at a Kroger where they have E85 Located at 1705 Fry road in Katy TX at 8am Friday march 15th. That's the closest place to fill up with E85 around there. Shoot me a text if you wanna meet us there 713 534 2023 Mike

G
(JDM Unit)
03/05/13 06:51 PM

Wow, what kind of hg did you have installed? Stock?

GolfBall
(Member)
03/06/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

OMFG!! I can't wait to see ya there, will you be attending the Dyno day? If so we're all meeting at a Kroger where they have E85 Located at 1705 Fry road in Katy TX at 8am Friday march 15th. That's the closest place to fill up with E85 around there. Shoot me a text if you wanna meet us there 713 534 2023 Mike

yep. i love the dyno day and will deff be there and dyno'ing my car. Yeah that would be cool to meet up, i will try, if not come talk to me there.

Quote:

Wow, what kind of hg did you have installed? Stock?

have installed ??? hahaha. this car's never 'had' anything installed. I've been running the felbro permatorque mls and thats what blew out and thats what im putting back in. Its the best headgasket around for my motor since i cant run an OEM MLS with a 87mm bore 2.4

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
03/06/13 07:02 AM

Sounds good, see ya there. We def need to get our VR4's together for a few pics.

GolfBall
(Member)
03/13/13 02:12 AM

SO long story short did a bunch of work to it thinking it was going to TX 2k13.... not so much

Put in a legit little kiggly part in the head, its expensive for what it is but its cool. It limits oil pressure to the head to 15 psi so that it keeps a lot more oil pressure in the bottom end.

Anyways... rebuild my catch can set up and did it legit.
chopped off the old ones and added -12's to the valve cover, also added baffles on the inside

all welded up ready to be closed up, lots of baffles

stuffed some green scotchbrite in there and see how it works

the old welding bead shot haha

installed with some -12 lines

the far left -10 is actually a vacuum source using the exhaust. used a venturi pipe in the exhaust with a check valve. people see anywhere from 3" to 5" of vacuum using this system and since i have no intake to pull vac its a cool option.

you can see also new turbo blanket and heat wrapped everything

Moved my trany coolers around and stacked em, tacked em, and moved the fan over behind it so it would get good cooling.

old vs new fabbed up radiator overflow tank.

heres an overview shot, you can also see i added a pegasus clamp to the throttle body to boost pipe.

so now that its looking better then ever and ready to rock... still dont know exactly why its not acting right but its looking like it might be the cam angle sensor took a crap. so gonna go enjoy houston and deal with this pile when i get back.

bazeng
(work in progress)
03/13/13 07:25 AM

It looks great!

I've tried that vac u pan valve in the exhaust and it didn't work for me (I had it before the CAT convertor).

Hopefully you don't have a CAT or any type of back pressure in your exhaust.

Let me know how it works!

Would be good to a get vac gauge on the valve cover to actually see if it does pull...

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
03/13/13 09:21 AM

So this car won't be at TX2k?

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
01/20/14 01:00 PM

Long time no update. What's up with this beater?

snailspool
(Member)
01/22/14 07:38 PM

And was that 1000hp truck, the farmtruck by chance?

GolfBall
(Member)
01/22/14 09:49 PM

oh just been messing around with it here and there. Opened my own performance shop so thats been taking a lot of my times as well as building some off road toys.

heres a little vid of some tuning on it.

click

now has a FP3586 for now and just needs to finish the tune. Its fun haha.

Quote:

And was that 1000hp truck, the farmtruck by chance?

no. it was big chiefs red truck. tried to get them to let me race farm truck as well but he's got a big list of people trying to race him.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
09/18/17 01:54 PM

What ever happened to this car, anyway?

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
09/19/17 10:57 PM

Good question

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
02/07/19 08:23 PM

What happened to this car?

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
02/08/19 08:30 AM

This member was last on the board in 2015.

minneSNOWta
(Member +)
02/08/19 12:24 PM

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
02/08/19 06:24 PM

Quoting iceman69510:

This member was last on the board in 2015.

I know but it was such good build. I was just curious. There are so many long lost builds

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page