gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
06/04/18 11:08 AM
Brake rebuild.

Has anyone ever rebuilt the brake calipers themselves? If so, how hard was it?

Where did you source the parts?

bobbybdemented
(Junior Member)
06/04/18 03:30 PM
Re: Brake rebuild.

click

Rock Auto has all the parts

bobdole
(Old member with new to me VR4 and starting over. Respect your elders kids)
06/05/18 02:35 PM

If you are doing rear. Mitsubishi offer rebuild kits.

When I did mine.

Spyder
(I only have like 400 posts.... )
06/11/18 08:36 PM

Does the rebuild kit come with new pistons? Or is it mainly the parking brake assembly that rusts and seizes?

Dan D
(220, 221... whatever it takes)
06/13/18 05:39 AM

Not particularly hard to do. The service manual shows parts and order nicely. Biggest point is to watch what tools you use to pull and install seals. You don't want to scratch up the sliding bits. Don't go at it with a screwdriver. Have some seal pullers, plastic or round nose prys, good snap ring pliers at your disposal and it's not a problem.

bobdole
(Old member with new to me VR4 and starting over. Respect your elders kids)
06/13/18 10:05 AM

Quoting Spyder:

Does the rebuild kit come with new pistons? Or is it mainly the parking brake assembly that rusts and seizes?

No just seals.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
06/13/18 11:44 AM

Also, if the p-brake rotational part is stuck, it may not be feasible to rebuild them yourself. I tried to do that on one, and could not get the rusted part out.

89Mirageman
(Senior Member)
06/13/18 02:49 PM

Agreed, if anything is stuck on them I'd use them as cores. Or just buy a nice working pair and replace them completely.

Spyder
06/27/18 03:12 PM

The upper slide pin on mine can let me rotate the caliper up but won't slide out. Trying to overcome that. YAY!!!

idreamidrive
(Member +)
06/28/18 07:57 AM

Beat with hammer to free up rust or heat it up with a torch.

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
06/28/18 08:28 AM

This ^^^^. If anything, the hammer will break up the swollen and crunchy rubber (now petrified) grommet on the end of that pin and help it come off

HadesOmega
(Newbie)
09/06/18 05:35 AM

Is possible to just buy a whole rebuilt caliper for the rear? I bought one for the front when I had a stuck piston.

Spyder
10/15/18 05:23 PM

I have chased these parts for months. Spoken with several parts shops and no one has them. I could use NAPA but they said I would have to send in my calipers, have them rebuild them and ship them back, hoping they don't get lost.

I have found a used set that look good.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page